Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

echomango

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
I have the external output going to an old Rotel receiver which drives a pair of NHT Super Zeros. It's good enough!

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I use the built in speakers in my iMac. Although lacking in bass, which isn't surprising due to the thinness, the overall sound quality is really rather good, and fine for me.

If however I do want to get some bass in my music. I Airplay my music from my iMac and through my Apple TV. My Apple TV is connected to a Soundbar (which contains a sub woofer) and this gives me hifi quality sound.

Monster Sana

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Best speaker for iMac

These days, there are lots high quality options for desktop speakers that are geared toward the audiophile crowd. I would love to use some great speakers with the iMac, but I kind of feel that external speakers defeats the purpose of the all-in-one machine.

Is it common for iMac users to run separate speakers?

What are some high-end speakers you guys are running with your Macs?

Hi,

There is a very nice bluetooth speaker on Amazon---Indierocker
It's pretty cool, APTX = CD quality
Portable size and long time for music playback
Bluetooth 4.0 to support all phones, tablet, pc etc.

Just click http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E084XRO

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
I have used: the JBL Creature III: http://www.amzn.com/B002TLSTGA

Harman Kardon Soundsticks III: http://www.amzn.com/B0042F3K9W

B&W MM-1: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX583VC/A/bowers-wilkins-mm-1-speakers

The Creature and Soundsticks are 2.1 systems with a sub, The MM-1 are two-way stereo speakers.

Advantages of the Creature III include relatively low cost, relatively good sound, small visual and physical profile.

The Soundsticks are more expensive than the Creature III, but sound better. The vertical speakers have a small desk footprint and visually blend well with most decor. They were designed by Jonathan Ive who was lead designer on the iPod, iPad, iPhone, iMac, etc.

The B&W MM-1s don't have the bass of 2.1 systems, but better stereo imaging.

Last edited:

Akaba

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
M-Audio Studiophile AV40 (the older version, with the bass switch).
You'll find plenty of reviews on the net.

A bit bulky if you put them on the desktop. But, as others do with their choices, you can hang them on an Airport Express, and use them elsewhere in the house, moving them around as you like.

Besides that, an AppleTV connected to a Home Cinema System.

Plenty of choice; regarding my iMac, I do remember at the time I bought it, the different models also had different specs for the in-built speakers ... and I bought the more powerfull ones. More than enough in the room I use as an office ... the AV40 got into the house to get more "bass" when watching movies.

fixerman

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
London
These days, there are lots high quality options for desktop speakers that are geared toward the audiophile crowd. I would love to use some great speakers with the iMac, but I kind of feel that external speakers defeats the purpose of the all-in-one machine.

Is it common for iMac users to run separate speakers?

What are some high-end speakers you guys are running with your Macs?

I use a pair of Creative T20 speakers.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/Creative-GigaWorks-T20-2-0-Speakers_Peripheral_review

The built in speakers in my 27" iMac are excellent on their own. I use the Creatives because I happened to have them from a previous setup.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
No speakers hooked up to my iMac though I do have a nice iHome Airplay speaker that I sometime use from my iMac.

iW3S_F.jpg.450x400_q85.jpg

Though mine is black.

Valtyr

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
I use KRK Rokit5 speakers with my iMac.

The built in speakers can't handle some of the instruments I record (bass guitar, synth, etc).

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
I use a pair of Yamaha MSP7 monitors with an RME Fireface 800.

What a very strange thread. Everyone has different audio quality needs.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
HK Soundsticks III too :D

The sound was really the only disappointment unboxing and setting up my iMac, so much that I was online within a hour and ordered these (the old black Logitech speakers I had next to a Dell monitor just wouldn't have looked right :cool:)

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I had a set of JBL Creatures that did a nice job for a while. That was until my daughter (3-years-old at the time) discovered there was nothing protecting the speaker face so she poked holes in them with her fingers.

Next I moved on to some JBL Duet Speakers since I had been happy with the brand. These sounded nice, but had this very annoying flaw. They would essentially turn themselves off during pauses or during very quiet parts of sounds. At first I thought it was a defect, but found out is was actually considered an "energy saving feature". They were too troublesome so I ditched them.

For now I am sans speakers and just use the ones built into my iMac.

Compactc9

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2016
I bought my 27in iMac a year old, and it had the SoundSticks III with it, and I have used it a little without them, and the internal speakers are definitely quite good considering how small they are to make it so thin. But the SoundSticks still sound better, and definitely have more bass, which is expected considering it has a sub sitting on the floor.

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
I use KRK Rokit5 speakers with my iMac.

The built in speakers can't handle some of the instruments I record (bass guitar, synth, etc).

I have the 8" Rokits and they sound pretty badass. I also have a lot of instruments going through them.

blurfonz04

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2016
I used to use Bose speakers, but it recently went bonkers... with this new iMac. I thought the built in speakers were fine....very fine indeed. I guess I'll not waste additional money for this purpose.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use what came with my iMAc and they do a good job. I'm no audiophile, and maybe some day I'll use some external speakers but for now. Another reason for me to use the iMac speakers is, with two monitors on my desk, there's absolutely no room for speakers any way.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The iMac's speakers are quite good for everyday use... and as mentioned by maflynn, take up no space on a crowded desk. They also don't require more cables, which I personally find much more annoying than the less than superb sound quality of the built-in speakers.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I personally output a digital connection to an XDA2 DAC, which is sent to a Yaqin tubes amplifier and I have a pair of Axiom M22 speakers. I also have a 8" sub.

I get a nice ass-kicking sound.

:)

yaqin.jpg

m22.jpg

xda.jpg

Reactions: Ledgem

swamyg1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
Klipsch Promedia 2.1's here. Sounds phenomenal for $135 from Best Buy.

I was considering Rokit 5"s but was worried about not having enough bass.

Last edited:

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
[doublepost=1457827226][/doublepost]
I have the 20s but they're so good we use them in the kitchen, dining room and the patio via Airport Eress, instead of at my iMac where the internal speakers suffice while I am working.

That's the problem with quality! I use a Bose Soundlink Mini II which also gets used so much more than I anticipated. I just use Bluetooth most of the time but have the Express when needed.

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
I use the Logitech z-680.

36-121-105-10.jpg

These speakers are completely ancient, but amazingly, still seem to work perfectly.

The one I have is from '04.

These sound much better than almost anything at the ~$500 price point out today. Just goes to show the quality Logitech used to have in their products. These are very good quality for computer speakers, sound great, and all the specs point to them being better than their successors. I also have an X-540 which is a great sounding system for the price. Again, much better sounding than its successor. Logitech must have realized their customers aren't savvy to audio quality.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I personally output a digital connection to an XDA2 DAC, which is sent to a Yaqin tubes amplifier and I have a pair of Axiom M22 speakers. I also have a 8" sub.

I get a nice ass-kicking sound.
I love the looks of that, but how much better is the sound?

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I love the looks of that, but how much better is the sound?

night and day .. but I love music. I can connect multiples devices so I can share the system with my PC and MAC and I still have empty inputs for other things. I tried straight analog from mac/pc and there was a huge difference.

I did some tests. I have high quality sound cards in my pc and my external DAC sounds better. They replaces the XDA with this one (link) 169$. If my room was bigger I would have bought full tower speakers with no subwoofer. The tubes amp gives it a warm tone and you can swap the tubes if you want to experience something new. US made tubes amp are very expensive. Yaqin builds impressive amps for the price (quoting an audio technician that saw it). I paid 550$ CAD so maybe 400$USD for a brand new one (tubes included).

The trio is just remarkable but Axiom aren't the best choice for the price at this moment. I would choose other speakers for the price they ask now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.