Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's iPhone media event, Apple announced new cases to go with both the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s, along with docks for both phones.

The form-fitting silicone iPhone 5c Case comes with cutout dots to show the color of the iPhone 5c beneath the case. It is available in black, white, blue, green, yellow, and Pink.

The colors match the iPhone polycarbonate shell of the iPhone 5c, and in a video shown during the presentation, it appears that Apple intends for different colored cases to be mixed with iPhone 5c shells to create unique, colorful looks. The iPhone 5c cases are priced at $29.

iphone5c2.jpg
The case designed for the iPhone 5S is made from premium leather rather than silicone, and comes in a range of colors including brown, beige, black, yellow, blue, and (PRODUCT) RED.

According to Apple, the leather is shaped to cover the volume buttons, the on/off switch and protect the chamfered edges of the iPhone 5s. The inside of the case contains a soft microfiber, and the dye has been infused into the leather. The iPhone 5s cases are priced at $39.

iphone5scases.jpg
Alongside the cases for the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s, Apple has also debuted a dock for each of the phones. The iPhone 5c dock and the iPhone 5s dock both look like standard docks that Apple has used in the past, with the exception of the Lightning adapter. Both docks are available for $29.

iphone_5s_dock.jpg
Finally, Apple has debuted a new 2-meter Lightning to USB cable, which is priced at $29. The docks and the Lightning cable will be available in Apple Retail Stores beginning on September 12, while the cases for the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s can be purchased beginning on September 20.

Article Link: Apple Unveils Cases and Docks for iPhone 5s and 5c, New 2M Lightning Cable

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
They really should've done something so that the "iPhone" weren't all choppy underneath the 5c case.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Those leather cases are very nice, but I told myself I wouldn't use a case on my 5S. Hmm, what to do?!

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Think I'll buy one of the leather cases for my 5.
Too bad the 5 is as scuffed now as it is.

I really don't like all the holes on the back of the silicon cases. A solid version would have looked better and have collected less dirt, imho.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
I noticed the same. What were they thinking? It might be the work of a summer intern. That is not really Apple at all. Shame on you Apple!!!! Shame on you Tim Cook!!!!:mad:

Great! So the back of your phone says 'hon' all the time. That is helpful!

Seriously, those 5C covers are hideous.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
design oversight?

I really hope for those looking to pick up an iPhone 5C with one of these bumpers that the text on the back of the phone doesn't show through the open circles like in the image above, 'cause that's nasty!

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Amazing oversight!!!! It looks like a college intern did this as a summer project and someone decided to launch it. Disgusting!!!!
I really hope for those looking to pick up an iPhone 5C with one of these bumpers that the text on the back of the phone doesn't show through the open circles like in the image above, 'cause that's nasty!

EGS1550

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
holes, lint and "hon" oh my!

Seriously? 35 holes to capture pocket lint etc? And how could they possibly not notice that the letters are partially cut off. They have some incredible minute attention to detail and then they let this happen?

I cannot believe Mr. Ive let this one through. Cheap case from China yes, Apple no!

applegigs

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Oh great 2 meters of awesomeness ... maybe they should rethink the quality of these cables...
1gdh.jpg

Original iPhone PVC cable vs iPhone 4 vs iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5 cable.. totally disappointing at 8 months they turn yellow at 10 months they start to show the inner cable..

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Finally, Apple has debuted a new 2-meter Lightning to USB cable, which is priced at $29. The docks and the Lightning cable will be available in Apple Retail Stores beginning on September 12, while the cases for the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s can be purchased beginning on September 20.

At least on the online store, the cable is available now. The dock however is showing a september 20 order date.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Amazing oversight!!!! It looks like a college intern did this as a summer project and someone decided to launch it. Disgusting!!!!

LOL. But it would be nasty if proven to be true, now wouldn't it? :cool:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Me too. But will the dock work with the leather cover - or will we have to remove it?

That's always the burning question, but considering all the previous generations of Apple docks released, then I would say no, it won't work with the leather case, or any case for that matter.

It's the same situation I had with my 4/4S. I was always annoyed with using the Apple bumper and the dock, because they never worked together.

Currently I have SGP full body protection on my iPhone 5, which would be fine for the dock, but I am still considering whether I want to get the leather case and go through the hassle of putting on and removing the case every time I want to dock it.

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
Oh great 2 meters of awesomeness ... maybe they should rethink the quality of these cables...

Original iPhone PVC cable vs iPhone 4 vs iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5 cable.. totally disappointing at 8 months they turn yellow at 10 months they start to show the inner cable..

What do you do to those cables? I still have my first charger plus cable from the original iPhone from 2007. Still white. Still not damaged! Am I just lucky? Also I like how this old cable is way more flexible than the one that came with my New iPad. Are the new one still this "stiff"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.