Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seans9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I purchased the 4S back on the release day and decided to skip the 5 and wait for the 5S. At the time, my upgrade eligibility from AT&T read...

A full discount on a standard device or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 05/08/2013. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at 2-yr commitment pricing + $250 along with a new 2-yr commitment and a $36 upgrade fee. Please visit a participating iPhone sales location for pricing on this offer.

Now if I dial *639# it reads...

You are eligible for the latest devices at full retail price.

Are you guys that waited for the 5S seeing the same thing?

fender57

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I purchased the 4S back on the release day and decided to skip the 5 and wait for the 5S. At the time, my upgrade eligibility from AT&T read...

Now if I dial *639# it reads...

Are you guys that waited for the 5S seeing the same thing?

Nope, mine says I'm upgrade eligible.

njn007

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Southeastern PA, USA
Disappointed

I'm extremely disappointed with AT&T right now...

I purchased the 5 on launch day and it is telling me to pay $649 unless I wait until September 29th, which will then get me an early upgrade at $449. It's 9 days and they won't budge... urghh :mad:

bunger

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Interesting... I also jumped on the iPhone 5 pre-order a year after buying the 4S and payed $449 ( or whatever it was ).

I just checked with AT&T and the reply was:

You are eligible for an upgrade with a partial discount off of full retail price today. You may be eligible for an upgrade on 9/15/2014 or AT&T Next which lets you upgrade to a new device every year on 09/15/2014.

It didn't provide prices, but I am assuming I am currently qualifying for the $449 price...

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
AT&T tells me I need to wait until October 23rd to get it for $650, otherwise it'll cost $850. What is this madness? I bought my iPhone 5 at launch, and it takes 13 months before they'll cut me a break at all?

They're probably trying to push people to AT&T Next.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I purchased my iPhone 5 in Nov last year. I can upgrade for $449 (16GB 5S) before Nov 2014, or for regular price on Nov 2014.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
"You are eligible for the latest device at full retail price. You may be eligible for an upgrade on 09/22/2014"

:(

i bought my iPhone 5 on launch day. I assumed I could do the $450 thing again for the 16GB model? What happened?

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
AT&T tells me I need to wait until October 23rd to get it for $650, otherwise it'll cost $850. What is this madness? I bought my iPhone 5 at launch, and it takes 13 months before they'll cut me a break at all?

They're probably trying to push people to AT&T Next.

AT&T no longer gives away early updates. Been that way for a whole now.

njn007

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Southeastern PA, USA
"You are eligible for the latest device at full retail price. You may be eligible for an upgrade on 09/22/2014"

:(

i bought my iPhone 5 on launch day. I assumed I could do the $450 thing again for the 16GB model? What happened?

I wish I knew. I have made several calls to at&t already and will continue doing so until I get a good answer... this is uncalled for and unfair to good customers of both Apple & at&t.

crazyskater52

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
To check upgrade with att dial: *639# and hit call.

I got the iPhone 5 on launch date as well and ATT shows my early upgrade is available 9/22. I called ATT and they told me that they can move up the date of upgrade to 9/20 on the day of launch, but I have to order over the phone and then they ship it out.

Does anyone know or have any experience with the ATT reps at the Apple store on launch date? Can they do this at the store? The ATT rep on the phone said he doesn't know.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
To check upgrade with att dial: *639# and hit call.

I got the iPhone 5 on launch date as well and ATT shows my early upgrade is available 9/22. I called ATT and they told me that they can move up the date of upgrade to 9/20 on the day of launch, but I have to order over the phone and then they ship it out.

Does anyone know or have any experience with the ATT reps at the Apple store on launch date? Can they do this at the store? The ATT rep on the phone said he doesn't know.

out of curiosity why do you have early upgrade? i also purchased my 5 on launch day and am being told I am not eligible to upgrade till next year.

njn007

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Southeastern PA, USA
I called ATT and they told me that they can move up the date of upgrade to 9/20 on the day of launch, but I have to order over the phone and then they ship it out.

Can you explain more? What exactly do you have to do? My date is the 29th and so far all representatives have been useless to me.

crazyskater52

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
I have no idea why everyone gets different results. I upgraded on launch date the iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S for a full discount with AT&T and last year with the 5 I only got a partial discount. This year I have to wait two days for the partial discount it seems. I don't understand what's going on lol.

Try this link: http://store.apple.com/us/iphone and click on upgrade eligibility. See if that one gives you a early upgrade option.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure AT&T's early upgrade window is now 18 months from date of last upgrade.

When I purchased the iPhone 4s, and wanted to purchase the iPhone 5 - I was told that my discount window wouldn't open until approximately 6 months later.

Needless to say I still have the iPhone 4s.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
out of curiosity why do you have early upgrade? i also purchased my 5 on launch day and am being told I am not eligible to upgrade till next year.

I suspect this may have to do with how big your bill is. I bought an iPhone 5 on launch day and am eligible for an early upgrade. I'm also the primary line on a 5 line Mobile Share plan. Are the people who are not eligible on single line plans?

crazyskater52

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Yeah I can explain. He told me nothing was possible. I asked for a supervisor and after talking to him for a few minutes he said that since it was only two days difference, he can do it. He said that anymore than that he probably wouldn't be able to do it. He then got all my info and said he was going to call me 9/20 at 9am to take my order. I would really like to buy it at the Apple store though and have it that same day. I'm upgrading 3 iPhone 5's... Hopefully someone has an answer out there lol

njn007

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Southeastern PA, USA
Yeah I can explain. He told me nothing was possible. I asked for a supervisor and after talking to him for a few minutes he said that since it was only two days difference, he can do it. He said that anymore than that he probably wouldn't be able to do it. ...

Interesting. I'm a bit surprised that 2 days is considered alright but 9 is a stretch (especially after many years with at&t). I might give it a try tomorrow and see if a supervisor can help. I'd much rather get to camp in my Apple store rather than wait for it to be mailed :/

Eeko

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I've upgraded every year since the 3GS and now when I check it says I'm not eligible. I guess they really are pushing next.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
Does upgrading early with the discount impact your contract length? Mine says it'll cost $399 for the 64 GB model after Sept 15. I can sell my iPhone 5 for $400 directly to Apple, $360 on Gazelle, and probably higher on glyde or ebay, so upgrading is a no-brainer.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Does upgrading early with the discount impact your contract length? Mine says it'll cost $399 for the 64 GB model after Sept 15. I can sell my iPhone 5 for $400 directly to Apple, $360 on Gazelle, and probably higher on glyde or ebay, so upgrading is a no-brainer.

Yup. If you upgrade early with the discount your contract will be extended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.