Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Otterbox today sent out a press release announcing cases designed for the new iPhone 5s and 5c models, and specifically addressed the new Touch ID fingerprint sensor that will be built into the iPhone 5s.

NewImage6.png
Because the company's bulky Defender Series of cases are designed to offer full device protection, it would seem that Otterbox might encounter some difficulties accounting for the home button and the fingerprint sensor.

However, Otterbox says all the its cases are "designed specifically to accommodate the new Touch ID fingerprint identity sensor technology, and all device functionality remains uninhibited by the case."
"Every Apple launch means new technologies that enhance the iPhone user experience, while at the same time create challenges for our products to evolve," said OtterBox CEO Brian Thomas. "We have very talented design and engineering teams working hard to anticipate new technologies and determine the most elegant solutions for our cases which complement the user experience. As always, the OtterBox team will lead with innovations in premium protective solutions for these new devices and welcome the challenges that each new product launch generates."
Defender, Commuter, Reflex and Prefix cases will be immediately available for the iPhone 5s, while Defender and Commuter cases for the iPhone 5c will be available soon.

Many other cases, like the aluminum iGlaze Armour from Moshi, will work fine with Touch ID because they don't cover the home button at all.

Article Link: New Otterbox Cases for iPhone 5s Will Work With Touch ID

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Super smart move on their part to ensure their product will work. I hate otterbox cases, but some people swear by them due to the nature of their work and where their iPhone can end up.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Good for them. Fingerprint scanning is optional (you can just use standard passwords of course), but glad they were able to design a case to make it work.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I wonder how Lifeproof will handle making the finterprint scanner work while remaining waterproof.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i would literally rather walk around with a broken back than to put my slim iPhone in such an ugly "box"

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Some of us don't consider our phones as a fashion statement
A function over form thing

The Defender has done what I want from it, protect my phone from the use/abuse my life & work subjects it too

Life is too short to fuss over what other people think about the looks of your phone...

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
My biggest fear was that the ID sensor would not work with full enclosure cases. Glad to see it is possible.

i would literally rather walk around with a broken back than to put my slim iPhone in such an ugly "box"

I wish I worked in a field where I didn't need to protect my electronics from being banded up and covered in all kinds of body secretions and excretions. I learned the lesson the hard way- the smell of vomit can never be fully removed from an iPhone :(

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010

Time and time again, silly comments like these come out any time a strong case is released, and time and time again someone has to remind everyone that...:

*It's NOT about making it look nice, it's about giving it strong protection for people who are prone to damaging their devices or for those people whose daily environments (ex. at work) threaten the safety of their device without an advanced protection solution.*

And lucky for you, you don't have to "walk around with a broken back" (ridiculous exaggeration just to draw attention imo) because there are many cases *that don't look like this one.*

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Definitely function over form. In fact, without Otterbox, I would probably own a Nexus or Lumia. My hands are too big and skinny to handle the iPhone without feeling like it's going to slip out. The Defender makes the iPhone fit perfectly and protects well against multiple 6 foot drops onto pavement. The perils of being tall I guess.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
And lucky for you, you don't have to "walk around with a broken back" (ridiculous exaggeration just to draw attention imo) because there are many cases *that don't look like this one.*

I really hope he just meant a broken piece of glass on the rear of the phone, and not an actual broken human back.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I really hope he just meant a broken piece of glass on the rear of the phone, and not an actual broken human back.

no shiat sherlock ;)

----------

You may want to look up the meaning of the word 'Literally'...

"Literally" the most misused word in the language has officially changed definition. Now as well as meaning "in a literal manner or sense; exactly: 'the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle'", various dictionaries have added its other more recent usage. "literally" can be used "to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling".

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
"Literally" the most misused word in the language has officially changed definition. Now as well as meaning "in a literal manner or sense; exactly: 'the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle'", various dictionaries have added its other more recent usage. "literally" can be used "to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling".

Yeah well - millions of uneducated people being wrong shouldn't make a thing right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.