Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
This really isn't about why there are no preorders. Color me indifferent, but I do not care why they decided not to do preorders.

I care that Apple skipped out on them for the 5s entirely.

I refuse to stand in line to buy this phone when I have been a loyal customer who has owned every version of their iPhone product.

It's a slap in the face to the regulars. Like I wanna take a day off (or worse, attempt to get any work done in line) to buy a phone on launch day.

And buy them? I do. 64gb, AppleCare+. Hell. I even figure I'll give their case a try.

I know there are plenty of people here on MacRumors like me. We all represent a steady revenue stream.

And, by refusing preorders, Apple just told everyone that repeat customers just don't matter much.

I'll buy a phone. When I can order one.

I really have zero interest in Android. But, damn. Really, Apple?

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I'll bet they have manufacturing problems that are keeping the yields down. For a while the 5S might be pretty scarce. Just wait until it's in stock or available to order online. It's not the end of the world.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Is waiting a week or two to let the crowds die down going to kill you? Doubt it. If you don't want to wait in line, just wait a few weeks...then walk in & get one with no waiting.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I'll bet they have manufacturing problems that are keeping the yields down. For a while the 5S might be pretty scarce. Just wait until it's in stock or available to order online. It's not the end of the world.

I agree. As I said, I'll still order one and wait to get it later.

I just find their lack of proper planning kind of ridiculous.

I have enjoyed preorder day for awhile now. Way to kick a fun little tradition in the ass, Apple.

----------

Is waiting a week or two to let the crowds die down going to kill you? Doubt it. If you don't want to wait in line, just wait a few weeks...then walk in & get one with no waiting.

Nah.

My rant is more about the principle of the matter. ;)

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
My only concern for waiting is re-sale value of my present 5. I also have a 64GB with AppleCare+ and most likely will be getting a case as well.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I agree. As I said, I'll still order one and wait to get it later.

I just find their lack of proper planning kind of ridiculous.

I have enjoyed preorder day for awhile now. Way to kick a fun little tradition in the ass, Apple.

----------

Nah.

My rant is more about the principle of the matter. ;)

There have been reports that Apple is trying to encourage people to buy phones through their stores. How do you know that you won't be able to waltz into an Apple store on the 20th and pick up whichever model you want? Just wait and see.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
My only concern for waiting is re-sale value of my present 5. I also have a 64GB with AppleCare+ and most likely will be getting a case as well.

Yeah. See, this is another consideration.

I usually hand down my iPhones. There are 5 of us here with iPhones.

I got tired of selling them back with the 3GS.

I had considered it with my 5 because my husband has a black 5 in 32gb and none of our kids need a 64gb phone.

Bah.

----------

There have been reports that Apple is trying to encourage people to buy phones through their stores. How do you know that you won't be able to waltz into an Apple store on the 20th and pick up whichever model you want? Just wait and see.

True true. I may just do that.

I really hate Apple store lines. The only times I've stood in them were for the original iPad and to buy a laptop years ago on a tax holiday.

----------

Then you are going to get your iPhone later than the rest of us.

If you want it that bad go pay someone to stand in line for you, otherwise you can wait like everyone else.

It isn't a big deal. I had the original on launch day (and didn't even stand in a line), 3G and 3S a few weeks after they launched, and every model since on launch day.

Which is where the whole "treat your loyal customers right" thing came from.

Hell, I had 2 of the iPhone 4. A black, then a white.

Apple does not need to hold me captive in their stores to encourage my loyalty.

----------

I honestly think there won't be a problem just walking in and getting one whenever that day...

I would not count on that. It's a wildcard.

----------

I appreciate you all allowing me to vent. Macrumors is full of the best sort of people! :)

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
This really isn't about why there are no preorders. Color me indifferent, but I do not care why they decided not to do preorders.

I care that Apple skipped out on them for the 5s entirely.

I refuse to stand in line to buy this phone when I have been a loyal customer who has owned every version of their iPhone product.

It's a slap in the face to the regulars. Like I wanna take a day off (or worse, attempt to get any work done in line) to buy a phone on launch day.

And buy them? I do. 64gb, AppleCare+. Hell. I even figure I'll give their case a try.

I know there are plenty of people here on MacRumors like me. We all represent a steady revenue stream.

And, by refusing preorders, Apple just told everyone that repeat customers just don't matter much.

I'll buy a phone. When I can order one.

I really have zero interest in Android. But, damn. Really, Apple?

At this point why should Apple give a rip about 'loyal customers'. You're in the bag. You're going to buy this the first week no matter what. Apple has already counted that sale and logged that revenue.

At this point it's about feeding the monster, which means trying to find ways to expand the customer base/revenue pie. To that end new markets/customers are much more coveted than the diehards they know will always buy their latest release.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I feel for you, OP.

Over here in Hong Kong, we have to wait for not weeks but months even, because of the reselling to Mainland China (crazy shortage + crazily rich people there).

Apple gave us the (in)famous lottery thing here that we nicknamed "iDraw". No walk-in purchases on launch day, so no lines. Instead, we have to "reserve" for a purchase ahead of the launch day and those who get lucky will get permission to buy the next day (and 99% of them immediately resell to China anyway).

That's why we, the regulars the repeat customers, hate it too. :(

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Won't affect me at all.

I'll continue to use my iPhone 4 until Apple brings out something worth owning that is completive with other phones on the market.

Give me an iPhone with a useable screen size and I'm in!

IF I was forced to buy a new phone today it might be a Windows 8 phone because I do not like Android OS.

But so long as my iPhone 4 continues working .... I'll stick with it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Right, you don't care why they decided not to do preorders, even if there might be a legit reason because you, loyal Apple user, are entitled to what you want wen you want it. :roll eyes:

The funny thing is that last year when they did have a brief pre-order people were moaning because Apple didn't make enough available. A few years before that they only launched in the U.S.to ensure plenty of pre-order and launch day phones so then the rest of the world got upset. So Apple really can't win here no matter what they do.

If you don't want to waste time in line, don't. I don't blame you. Order online and you'll get it in a week or two. You'll survive. It's a phone. Or just try going in a couple hours before closing on launch day. The lines will probably haved died down by then but probably will have many phones still in stock.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Who says you have to leave work or wait in line? Go on the internet and purchase the phone on the 20th online and wait til it's shipped to you.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
At this point why should Apple give a rip about 'loyal customers'. You're in the bag. You're going to buy this the first week no matter what. Apple has already counted that sale and logged that revenue.

At this point it's about feeding the monster, which means trying to find ways to expand the customer base/revenue pie. To that end new markets/customers are much more coveted than the diehards they know will always buy their latest release.

And... I care about this why?

Don't get me wrong. I do get why they do what they do. But, since I don't work there or own stock? Doesn't make much difference to me.

Yanno, I am just venting. It's not a huge deal.

----------

Right, you don't care why they decided not to do preorders, even if there might be a legit reason because you, loyal Apple user, are entitled to what you want wen you want it. :roll eyes:

The funny thing is that last year when they did have a brief pre-order people were moaning because Apple didn't make enough available. A few years before that they only launched in the U.S.to ensure plenty of pre-order and launch day phones so then the rest of the world got upset. So Apple really can't win here no matter what they do.

If you don't want to waste time in line, don't. I don't blame you. Order online and you'll get it in a week or two. You'll survive. It's a phone. Or just try going in a couple hours before closing on launch day. The lines will probably haved died down by then but probably will have many phones still in stock.

Why can't I find it annoying?

I don't feel entitled to anything. An explanation would be refreshing, though.

If their supply is low? Why not say so?

I don't need a new iPhone. On launch day or any other day.

And, is that not the point?

People with disposable income who will upgrade yearly because they can afford it are not customers worth alienating, when you think about it.

I love many things about Apple. I have zero interest in any Android-based phone. Do they want to encourage people to consider alternatives?

You'd think someone with as much Apple gear as I own would be a huge Apple apologist. I'm not.

I find it irritating. So, I was just griping about it. It's not a huge deal, in the grand scheme.

----------

Won't affect me at all.

I'll continue to use my iPhone 4 until Apple brings out something worth owning that is completive with other phones on the market.

IF I was forced to buy a new phone today it might be a Windows 8 phone because I do not like Android OS.

Ummm. Ok?

----------

Who says you have to leave work or wait in line? Go on the internet and purchase the phone on the 20th online and wait til it's shipped to you.

You could be right. I could even try a store later, if I feel like tolerating the mall. That's how I bought the original. ;)

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I feel for you, OP.

Over here in Hong Kong, we have to wait for not weeks but months even, because of the reselling to Mainland China (crazy shortage + crazily rich people there).

Apple gave us the (in)famous lottery thing here that we nicknamed "iDraw". No walk-in purchases on launch day, so no lines. Instead, we have to "reserve" for a purchase ahead of the launch day and those who get lucky will get permission to buy the next day (and 99% of them immediately resell to China anyway).

That's why we, the regulars the repeat customers, hate it too. :(

Ugh. :(

I hope China has better luck and more supply this year.

I'd wait awhile for you all to get your turn with good supply on launch day!

----------

First world problems

You realize that's just a crappy putdown, don't you? I live in the First World. When I move to Somalia, I'll scribble everyone a note to gripe about my mud hut.

defboob

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Won't affect me at all.

You say you want an iPhone with a "usable screen size" yet you continue to use your 3.5" iPhone 4 everyday, seems "usable" to me...

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
All I got out of this thread is that you have an unjustified sense of entitlement.

Order online, wait on line, or don't buy it launch day.

Really...

I dunno where you got that from. I just find it annoying. So, I was griping about it.

I'm well aware of my ordering options. Have you not ever found something irritating?

It's not a huge thing, in the grand scheme of things. I know that. ;)

redshadow

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
This is hardly something to be irritated about. You have a problem and you wanted attention.

Mission accomplished?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.