Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With today's introduction of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, Apple's revised iPhone lineup saw the discontinuation of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 in most markets, while the iPhone 4s lives on as the entry-level device.

But in line with a report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who predicted that the iPhone 5c would replace the iPhone 5 rather than the iPhone 4s in Apple's lineup, even the iPhone 4 is continuing to hang on, with Apple still offering the device in China.

china_iphone_lineup_2013.jpg
It is unclear how long Apple will continue offering the device in China, but with relatively high prices in the country pushing even Apple's new "lower-cost" iPhone 5c to over $700, Apple clearly feels that it needs to offer even lower-priced options to consumers.

Both black and white models of the iPhone 4 in 8 GB capacities are available in China, with the devices priced at RMB 2588 ($423) as Apple's cheapest offering in the country. The iPhone 4s starts at RMB 3288 ($537), while the new iPhone 5c starts at RMB 4488 ($733) and the iPhone 5s starts at RMB 5288 ($864).

Article Link: Apple Continues Offering iPhone 4 in China

samuelwong

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
I love iPhone 4S

And looks like 4S is a best iPhone ever made - people still loving it. 5 is discontinued and I don't believe 5S will have long life either.

Yes I do feel the 4S is incredible. You still feel its versatility and reliability all over the world. From the time I bought it from Apple Store as factory unlock phone, it's been used in Asia, UK and America without hassle.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Really surprised that Apple isn't addressing the mid-tier smartphone space that is so critical to growth in the developing world. I'm really shocked the 5C isn't $399 off contract. It would be a home run for Apple.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
So what was the whole point of releasing iPhone 5c if its still not affordable on this market and costs over $700? Holy cows, what a stupidity. Can't believe that...

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I was a supporter of the 5C initially under the assumption that it would be $0/$449... but after seeing it's place in the lineup it's absolutely pointless. Yes Apple I'd rather have a 5C than a 5 for the same price. :rolleyes:

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Really surprised that Apple isn't addressing the mid-tier smartphone space that is so critical to growth in the developing world. I'm really shocked the 5C isn't $399 off contract. It would be a home run for Apple.

I agree with this. I really don't get why they would just replace the 5 with the 5C. All it adds is some colour and plastic.

I am curious if it will be following the tick-tock strategy along with the flagship iPhone or if it will always be the same.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Apple is so persistent about its pricing. Asking $400ish for a 3 years old, slow and outdated iPhone 4 is beyond ridiculous.

On top of that it has a puny 8GB storage. Feels like ... come on :eek:

5C is the one which supposed to touch the $400 bottom off contract.

swatts1012

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
5c

I guess what is not clear to some people is that this phone is not about dominating market share, but giving Apple diversification in their iPhone brand. Having a second phone allows for different product releases throughout the year. Do not be surprised to see another iPhone update in the Spring for the 5c. Also, redesigning the 5 to essentially the 5c, allowed Apple to change the architecture to be compatible with new carriers in China. The top two models will be about capturing high margin growth, while the bottom two still remain as a more affordable option. Not sure how their stock price is going down with the addition of Dotcomo and a China Mobile deal eminent. Even if they only sell to 5% of these companies customers, that is still a ton more iPhone sales...

AAPL addict

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Apple media event on AppleTV.

The event was not streamed live, instead we had to wait to watch the event a few hours afterward on apple's web site.

It's also available on AppleTV.

----------

It appears Siri is here to stay and costs roughly $100 more if you want to have it on the iPhone 4S verses the iPhone 4 (in China).

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Looks like they couldn't get the 5C price down as low as they planned and at the moment they seem to be in a real mess because of it. With any luck as production is ramped up and component prices come down the 5C price will fall and the 4/4S can be finally dropped.

Cruddley

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Apple is so persistent about its pricing. Asking $400ish for a 3 years old, slow and outdated iPhone 4 is beyond ridiculous.

On top of that it has a puny 8GB storage. Feels like ... come on :eek:

5C is the one which supposed to touch the $400 bottom off contract.

Who says the 5C is supposed to be $400? This idea was simply fueled by rumours leading up to the launch. Apple themselves never said they were trying to make a cheaper low-cost iPhone. Whilst many people would have liked this to be the case, you can't be sour at Apple for that. In emerging markets, they are leaving the ip4 in place, and I don't see what is wrong with that. They are offering a new model for the middle tier, and whilst it is basically an ip5, it's still a step up from what they have done in the past. I was also surprised by how it worked out, but I think they will sell more 5c's than they would have ip5's in the middle tier. I think it's kind of smart from Apple. Just my opinion. As you say though, storage is a bit of an issue for the ip4. I gather you don't live in China though, so it won't really effect you anyway.

Cruddley

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013

Agreed, but they wouldn't sell many 5S models then. The 5C just didn't turn out to be a lower cost model, thats all. Apple never actually said that it would be, we just assumed it would be, because of the plastic back.

chelle7i

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
iPhone 5

I was under the impression that the iPhone 5 was the best-selling iPhone to date. Why would they discontinue the predecessor to the i5s and i5c rather than discontinue the i4? :confused: I've heard that some of the features on the i5c were actually a downgrade from the i5, so I wouldn't exactly call this a "replacement" (i.e. plastic casing). I don't want to give up my i5 for sure now...RIP.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.