Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have been on the "S cycle" since the 3GS. I have had my 4S for 2 years & obviously it is time to upgrade. I never expect the "S" version to be a major upgrade, more of an incremental upgrade. However, this phone is leaving me wanting a little bit more. I'm really excited about the internal upgrades. The 64 bit processor, 2X speed internals, and improved battery life are great. I could not care less about the fingerprint sensor. The biggest thing that I am disappointed in is the lack of a 128 GB option.

Now, before the storage haters & iCloud/iTunes Match folks jump on me, I like my storage. I have a 64GB 4S & it is always full . Between apps, pictures, video (that I shot, not movies) and a boat load of music, I am maxed out. And hardly any of my music comes from (GASP) iTunes. To give us a 128 GB option would have put me in the "camp out in front of the Apple Store" crowd.

I will likely upgrade because I have been waiting for it, but are there any other 4S owners out there just not really feeling the same urgency because the 5S is missing that one thing to put you over the top?

gSOLO

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I'm on the "S cycle" as well and the lack of a 128 option is a big disappointment. I've got about 4GB left on my 64GB 4S and was really looking forward to the extra storage.

I do have iTunes Match however, and about 48GB of my space is taken up by music, so maybe I can figure out how I'm supposed to use it correctly. I'd rather not have to do that though.

The no preorder is another thing that is contributing to a lack of urgency in upgrading, but in the end, yeah, I probably will.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Same issue for me. My 64GB is always filled to the brim, and I was really hoping for 128. Actually, because the rest of the S-specific features leave me cold, I'm seriously considering the 5c.
64GB doesn't cut for me anyway, and I'm thinking that if I have to keep cutting things I'd rather take with me for the sake of storage, why not make serious cuts and also save iPhone $$ with the C. I'm torn.

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I will probably upgrade. 3G really sucks and I'm glad the 5S has gsm and CDMA together again allowing for more option although I don't know why they made a separate model adding band 26 for sprint when all those bands could've been 1 model

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I have an iPhone 4 and I am on the fence about upgrading. It's not so much the money as much as the principle of the thing. I understand the decisions behind why certain things were not upgraded on the iPhone 5S and I'm sure they made good BUSINESS decisions that will maximize profits. I'm just not looking to reward that kind of thinking. Besides, I really *do* need a phone with a larger screen. I won't get an Android because I like how simple, elegant, and fast IOS is (although IOS 7 may slow down my phone quite a bit).

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I have an iPhone 4 and I am on the fence about upgrading. It's not so much the money as much as the principle of the thing. I understand the decisions behind why certain things were not upgraded on the iPhone 5S and I'm sure they made good BUSINESS decisions that will maximize profits. I'm just not looking to reward that kind of thinking. Besides, I really *do* need a phone with a larger screen. I won't get an Android because I like how simple, elegant, and fast IOS is (although IOS 7 may slow down my phone quite a bit).

Just curious, why do you need a bigger screen, if you don't mind me asking? (Honestly just curious.)

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006

People always talk about Android like it's so hard to use. It's literally just rows of app icons just like iOS, but there is more customization. Android phones are not difficult to use at all and have the larger screen size you want.

Baconstripss

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
I'm gonna replace my 4s 16 gb with a 5s 32gb. I've been running iOS 7 beta 6 for a while now, and it really isn't running as smooth as i would like. So the A7 chip is a big "pull" factor for me. Also the fingerprint scanner is intriguing, as a passcode is a must have when having my work mail on my phone

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Im going to wait it out, Not enough innovation to warrant the upgrade I will hold out for the 6. I think they should drop the S incremental updates and just go with full updates.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
I have my two year old 4S and it needs replacement. I really like the 5S and its features/upgrades BUT i hate the fact that there is no preorder! This basically is a huge turn off for me.
Especially in germany where we don't have that many resellers, that sell the phone unlocked off contract.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
4S owner and upgrade is due - i will miss both 5C and 5S and opt for a 5 off ebay then do a proper update to iPhone 6 next Sept hoping we get a larger screen by then.

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I'm sticking with the 4S because I still like the size and want to get off the "S" cycle. But I can't imagine many 4S owners are like me. The vast majority will want to take full advantage of the new technologies in the 5S, the bigger screen size, the vastly faster processor, the incredible camera technology and the fingerprint scanner.

ljusmc

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
Im in the same boat but it wasnt about storage. I was just waiting for something "groundbreaking" but I think I'll go ahead and get the 5S.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
When I have the cash i'll be all over the 5S. Looks stunning and a big leap forward.

iOS7 does make the 4S feel like a new phone though so I can understand why people may not want to upgrade as they have their "New Toy" fix.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
I hate the camera on the 4S so am considering the 5S. It's camera is a bit uninspiring, but is quantum leaps ahead of the 4S. I want to take a look at the Z1 first, see how that is, before making a decision.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I'm sticking with the 4S because I still like the size and want to get off the "S" cycle. But I can't imagine many 4S owners are like me. The vast majority will want to take full advantage of the new technologies in the 5S, the bigger screen size, the vastly faster processor, the incredible camera technology and the fingerprint scanner.

Im with you. I think I can still make it one year with the 4S and wait for the new iPhone 6 which probably will have a bigger screen aswell. Also Im not the biggest fan of the 5 design since it isnt as durable as the 4/4S and scratches way more easily

cplclegg

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
I'm waiting to see how iOS7 feels, that will drive my decision to stay with Apple more than a hardware upgrade.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida

I'm just lie you ---- 4s and holding out until the iPhone 6 for some of the same reasons. I WANT a larger screen, not the huge tablet-sized ones I see people ridiculously talking into, but slightly wider than the current Apple offering.

Finger print scanner would've been nice, but not enough to move me to purchase one.

Last edited:

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I'm just lie you ---- 4s and holding out until the iPhone 6 for some of the same reasons. I WANT a larger screen, not the huge tablet-sized ones I see people ridiculously asking into, but slightly wider than the cent Apple offering.

Finger print scanner would've been nice, but not enough to move me to purchase one.

Also I have the feeling that with the iPhone 6 we will have vastly improved battery life. I expect the 6 to have a bigger screen but also a bigger housing that will make space for a bigger battery which overall will improve the battery life.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I have 4S.

On one hand I consider this a good upgrade with LTE.

I don't mind being on "S" cycle.

On the other hand, I'm a bit disappointed. But I think it's a justified upgrade over the 4S. I had considered andriod, but honestly don't use my phone enough to justify a switch of ecosystem.

That said I wouldn't blame anyone for going andriod this time around.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Also I have the feeling that with the iPhone 6 we will have vastly improved battery life. I expect the 6 to have a bigger screen but also a bigger housing that will make space for a bigger battery which overall will improve the battery life.

Great points --- here's hoping you're correct :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.