Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
California
Considering todays keynote didn't touch one bit on the iPod lineup, does anyone know when the iPod refresh will be announced?

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
:confused:No mention of the iPods does indeed sound like a whole lot of goobersauce. :mad:

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK
AFAIK there was never supposed to be any iPod announcements at the iPhone presentation anyway.

It's more likely to be at the iPad one in a few weeks time.

I can't see them being discontinued. They still sell well and serve a purpose.

They all got the new grey colour added. I suspect that'll be it for this year. They all had a big update last year and they seem to only get big updates every 2 years.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I don't think there will be one this year.

If you look at the iPod Nano page, there is a new iPad Nano color, it says new.

That is all we will get this year. I think this signals the end of the iPod updates.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Apple was really just updating them just for the sake of designing a new one and seeing how it goes.

Apple's design team was clearly busy this year, so they probably didn't get to it. I don't think it signals the death of the iPod, I think it just means that last year's designs are still fine.

There probably wouldn't have really been any new features, most likely.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
The last ipod nano?

It is interesting that :apple: seem unlikely to update their iPod nanos this year just refresh the colour line.

The company have had other priorities but what is the future of the iPod - the classic has dwindled in recent years though it remains available. Could this be the same fate for the nano? With all the company's focus on the iphone and ipod touch this leaves the nano as a niche product.

Next year I expect we'll see some type of wearable device whether its the iWatch which you wear on your wrist or some other wearable you clip on or carry with yourself.

If :apple: does decide to transform the nano to a wearable device then it would likely function exactly as the nano does now but add in a number of new features. It would re-design the entire product. I imagine it would stay at the sweet spot of 16GB but it might use a fuller version of iOS.

i'd love a wearable device which also acted as an iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.