Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_buy_99-250x217.jpg
As noted late last week, Apple will indeed be releasing a major software update for the Apple TV in the near future. While that update was not mentioned at yesterday's media event, it will be arriving next week on September 18, the same day Apple is scheduled to release iOS 7 to the public, reports AllThingsD.

The new report repeats the previous observation that a notable new feature in the software update will be a change to allow purchased content from the iTunes Store to be played directly on Apple TVs that do not own the content. This is a change from the current system which requires users to load the content onto mobile devices for playback on an Apple TV via AirPlay.
The one new feature I'm aware of is a tweak to Apple's Airplay system. I didn't do a great job of explaining this before, so here's another stab: The new software will allow people who have purchased content from Apple's iTunes store to play that stuff on other people's TVs, via its Airplay system.

The key part is that they will be able to tell an Apple TV box they don't own to stream the media they do own, directly from the cloud. That's a change from the current system, which requires users to download stuff to their iPhones and iPads and fling it to the TV from there. It also echoes the way Google's new Chromecast device works.
While Apple did not debut a new model of the Apple TV at yesterday's iPhone media event, the company has made numerous updates to the device, including the recent addition of new apps for Vevo, The Weather Channel, the Disney Channel, the Smithsonian Channel, and more. Currently, the Apple TV retails for $99 and is sold through Apple's online and traditional retail stores.

Article Link: Apple TV Software Update to Arrive Alongside iOS 7 on September 18

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
This is interesting. I wonder if this will work with only with items purchased (yes I see it says only purchased, but this is not an official announcement from Apple)? What about those items that are in the cloud that you have loaded up say with Apple iCloud service?

I hope that it is anything you have on your device you will be able airplay it. I can dream.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
This is really great for when I see the family for Thanksgiving. They have an Apple TV but don't have nearly as many movies and tv shows as I do.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
yes. this is my favorite and most used apple product.

----------

anyone have a link to a nice description of how presentation mode works in a business setting? Does it only work with Macs?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Wonder if they'd do something where the game is installed on the Apple TV and an app installed on your handheld iOS device turns it into a customizable control surface tailored to suit the games commands. This'd let the game run fast on the ATV, and minimal data streaming over wifi run light & fast as well.

...sort of like what they should & will inevitably have to do with laptops. ...run OSX on the vertical screen and an ipad on the horizontal.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Thank goodness.
I was so disappointed they didn't even mention the apple tv in their media event.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I agree: I have to say my enthusiasm for OS7 is low: I think it looks horrible, and I'd much rather Apple stopped trying to mess with the UI and started trying to give us new features on the ATV. Apps, please!

I have no use for an Apple TV until it receives Amazon VOD. Ill stick to a much better Roku product for now, Airplay is completely useless to me and doesn't entice me even in the slightest.

t0mbola

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
I want to play my games through Apple TV with no lag!

Lower lag + MFi game controllers would turn Apple TV + iPhone into a great gaming console. But only if they can get the lag down to values similar to OnLive or other streaming services.

ios_7_sdk_slide.jpg

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Why can't Apple announce these types of things at it's events?

For Apple's stock NOT to fall, all Tim needed to do was put up a slide with pictures of watches, tvs, laptops and iPads and say 'more exciting products to announce in October.'

Very, very silly that Tim can't do this.

jasonw76

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
when will we be able to subscribe to the WatchESPN, HBOgo and Disney channels with out a cable subscription.

Why doesn't apple get in to the cable market with the existing Apple TV. I don't want a TV set by apple but just content. This will be the next big game changer like the itunes store was for music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.