Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thx76uk

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
ios 7 beta 6 to GM

I have just got the gm and I'm getting the same thing as everyone in this thread, I was thinking if your on ios 7 beta 6 and did the update on iTunes and not restore would an update mean you would keep everything on your phone that was already on it, ie music and things ? Because this restore would just wipe the phone. Does the iTunes update just do the OS and keeps your things on the phone ?

emmanravalo

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Well that sucks. This happening to anyone else? I can restore from iCloud and I'm doing that. But I need to leave the house and this is going to take forever!

Here's the error message that pops up in iTunes:
The iPhone “EJ8's iPhone” cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 11.1 or later. Go to http://www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes.

well you can use application for windows called iTools 2013 search it up!
http://www.itools.cn/en_index.htm
it have a bunch of tool and one of them is restore backup
works great on my iphone 5
:D
glad i can help

vash420

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2010
Hi guys, sorry if this a duplication but I'm a bit worried about this. Every time I try and backup my phone after updating to IOS 7 with iTunes 11.1 beta 2 I get 'iTunes could not backup iPhone 'vash420's iPhone' because the backup session failed'. The phone seems okay so far, it's just not happy with iTunes.

I updated my phone rather than doing a clean install, now I think I'm going to be stuck until iTunes is out of beta next week. :eek:

multipasser

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
The guides on lifehackers are just missing an important bit of info.

You can only install (as non dev) by using the RESTORE function in itunes and selecting the ios7 firmware. It installs fine. You cannot use upgrade because you are not a dev!

Once installed it wants to sync with itunes, but you cannot! unless you find 11.1 beta2 (with some googling you will find it for mac, not available for pc!!)
If you sync only with iCloud, you will not need itunes and just go ahead!
You can also choose to config as new device.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The guides on lifehackers are just missing an important bit of info.

You can only install (as non dev) by using the RESTORE function in itunes and selecting the ios7 firmware. It installs fine. You cannot use upgrade because you are not a dev!

Once installed it wants to sync with itunes, but you cannot! unless you find 11.1 beta2 (with some googling you will find it for mac, not available for pc!!)
If you sync only with iCloud, you will not need itunes and just go ahead!
You can also choose to config as new device.
You can update or restore. With a GM there is no developer check that happens anyway.

Tjindarr

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
Thanks!!

well you can use application for windows called iTools 2013 search it up!
http://www.itools.cn/en_index.htm
it have a bunch of tool and one of them is restore backup
works great on my iphone 5
:D
glad i can help

Awsome emmanravalo this saved my day i could restore my backup to my ios7 GM, got an error about MBerrordomain but that was becouse i had setup it to sync to our Exchange server, after i removed that sync i could restore!

Joiiesade

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
I have a tester who I upgraded to the GM release to finalize testing for my app and whom only has access to a Windows PC. Tried to restore from a back up and can't because it requires a version of iTunes that hasn't been released yet for his computer. He's across country right now, or I'd just have him swing over and restore it via my computer

Has anyone found a workaround? Even reverting back to iOS 6 would work. Is it possible for iExplorer or something to restore the phone

Hey it's simply easy to restore. Make sure you download your latest ISPW file whether its 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 and put your phone in DFU mode to restore. (Shift+restore) if your on windows and you'll be able to get back to previous firmware

----------

If you guys want to go back to a previous beta just make sure you have the downloaded gilt for your iOS. Then put your device in DFU mode mode. Hit Shift-Restore.

it's simply easy to restore to iOS 6 as well. Once again Make sure you download your latest ISPW file whether its 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 and put your phone in DFU mode to restore. (Shift+restore) if your on windows and you'll be able to get back to previous firmware

This is for windows users ;)

PaddyFowler

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Awsome emmanravalo this saved my day i could restore my backup to my ios7 GM, got an error about MBerrordomain but that was becouse i had setup it to sync to our Exchange server, after i removed that sync i could restore!

So you were able to restore all of your music etc... still using iTunes 11.0.5 - by restoring the backup using iTool?

Manvisor

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
Problem

I installed the restore version not thinking, i have also run into the problem, but I have a bigger problem I dont have a back up on cloud and itunes wont let my phone connect to even install the older software for 6.1.4 how do i get around this? If I dont do anything will i still receive the OTA update for ios 7 on 18 Sept?

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
I installed the restore version not thinking, i have also run into the problem, but I have a bigger problem I dont have a back up on cloud and itunes wont let my phone connect to even install the older software for 6.1.4 how do i get around this? If I dont do anything will i still receive the OTA update for ios 7 on 18 Sept?

Put your phone in DFU mode, then iTunes can recognize it and you'll be able to install 6.1.4.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
I'm in a bit of a quandry. I backed up my iOS 7 beta phone and then impulsively restored to the GM (probably should have updated in hindsight). The restore worked but as mentioned it will only allow restore from backup in iTunes 11.1 beta 2. I installed the new iTunes but it gave me an error message saying "Unable to load data class" whenever I plug in my phone and doesn't allow me to restore from the backup. I tried some workarounds to the above issue such as resetting my sync history, deleting a framework and reinstalling itunes but no luck. Eventually after much frustration, I reinstalled iTunes 11.05 and successfully downgraded to iOS 6.14.

Now iTunes won't restore my backup saying 'it was created with a newer version of iOS" and cannot be restored to my now iOS 6 phone. Is there anything i can do? All my data is locked into that backup, my pictures, my messages my contacts. Any help greatly appreciated. :eek:

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I'm in a bit of a quandry. I backed up my iOS 7 beta phone and then impulsively restored to the GM (probably should have updated in hindsight). The restore worked but as mentioned it will only allow restore from backup in iTunes 11.1 beta 2. I installed the new iTunes but it gave me an error message saying "Unable to load data class" whenever I plug in my phone and doesn't allow me to restore from the backup. I tried some workarounds to the above issue such as resetting my sync history, deleting a framework and reinstalling itunes but no luck. Eventually after much frustration, I reinstalled iTunes 11.05 and successfully downgraded to iOS 6.14.

Now iTunes won't restore my backup saying 'it was created with a newer version of iOS" and cannot be restored to my now iOS 6 phone. Is there anything i can do? All my data is locked into that backup, my pictures, my messages my contacts. Any help greatly appreciated. :eek:

Reinstall any iOS7 beta and then restore from backup. Then backup to iCloud and then install the GM and restore from cloud.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
People - just UPGRADE to iOS 7 on Windows. No restore needed, no recovery from backup, shift click "check for updates," select the IPSW, wait 10 minutes, enjoy iOS 7 with all your apps and data intact.

wayneroughneckz

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
hi guys my name is wayne, pardon I'm new here and I'm a bit confused about this restore and update stuff. meaning I can't use iOs7 until i have itunes 11.1 on pc? j have iphone5 and I just wanted to use it as a new device no restore needed. thanks

kngkelly

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
I downloaded 11.1 iTunes once I got the error like everyone else.

BUT, when i plug in my iphone to restore from my backup on itunes, it says it doesnt recognize my phone, and just loads itunes without the restore from backup button available.

Am i pooched? Is my iphone backup still on my computer? I never did an icloud backup, just the itunes backup.

itunes is pretty much treating my phone like a brand new stranger's iphone.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
will I need itunes 11.1 to activate my phone after the update?

No - you can just Shift+Click "check for updates", select the IPSW, and wait for your phone to update. Barring a hardware problem, your phone will sit for a few minutes, update for a few minutes, reboot a time or too, and finish. At some point iTunes will tell you it can't be used with your phone, but that's irrelevant...wait until your phone is finished with all its doing and then bam - fully functional iOS 7 with all your data intact. No activation is needed because you're not restoring the phone...you're simply updating the software. It basically does the same thing as the OTA will, just not OTA. You can use iCloud for backups for the next week, and then if you need to sync locally, you'll be able to when Apple releases iTunes 11.1 for Windows.

RamonPouw

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
Hello Users,

When I installed the iTunes 11 beta 2 from the developer center. I tried to make a back up of my iPhone before I was going to update.But when I am clicking on Back up I receive this message:

'iTunes could not backup iPhone 'Ramon's iPhone' because the backup session failed'

I did a re install of the iTunes beta, I deleted all my back ups that where in my mobilesync map on the Mac.. Tried to do it with plane mode on.. Restarted my Mac a couple of times and I restarted my iPhone also a couple of times.

Who can please help me ?

miakmarcus

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
iTunes 11.1 download

i restored my phone to ios 7 gm last night and i got the error message that itunes could not recognize my phone which meant that i couldnt restore from my backup of my phone when i had ios 7 beta 6. i didnt want to lose all my information so i just downgraded to ios 6.1.4 and i was thinking that i should wait until ios 7 comes out so i could just update it then and restore from my original backup from yesterday.

is there a link to download itunes 11.1 beta 2 so i can restore my phone from the backup that i had?

i am a non-developer

cjzielie

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
how can i do this

Worked for me too, thanks emmanravalo!

i accidentally hit restore to update AFTER BACKUP, and now seem stuck without
being able to restore my backup does itools work for this and how?

i do have a developer account and want to just get my photos and stuff back, or could i just go and like stated update to ios7 beta 6 then restore from backup and then Shift update to gm??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.