Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
It does not really take advantage of iPad large screen size. Take Safari for example: unified search and search for text is just pain in the butt. You do not have to bring favourite page when you start typing. Why not just do the Mac way?

image_zpsee9ee277.jpg

vs.

ScreenShot2013-09-11at111200AM_zpsf0b9f80d.png

Search for text:

image_zpse427bd3f.jpg

vs.

ScreenShot2013-09-11at111553AM_zps2588f341.png

Clearly, the Safari for Mac uses large screen better than iOS 7. It is just an iPhone enlarged one.

Music app is also not really optimized for large screen. Music app in iOS 6 is more polished.

I mean it, take artist for example, all you get is list of all artist where as in iOS 7 you get nice grid view.

image_zpsa9ea96a9.jpg

vs.

IMG_0509_zps2d1d4b64.png

Not even considering all the performance issues: such as frame rate drop, slow animation etc. I just cannot see how this is finished version for iPad, it is just not polished.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I don't mind iOS 7 on the iPhone. But on the iPad it looks HORRIBLE. The bigger screen makes all the flat transparencies stand out in such a hideous way. It's choppy when the screen re-orientates. Folders look stupid in the 3x3 grid the phone uses. The white is migraine inducing on a large screen, even with the brightness turned all the way down.

Thanks :apple: you've made my iPad a Surface RT tablet. I think I'm just going to pitch it in the trash after work today.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Animations are choppy, but moreso I agree with the 3x3 grid... why?? Why not at least 4x4? Folders in iOS 6 included more on the iPad than the iPhone, so why keep it the same for both this time? Definitely seems weird and a bit jarring on such a large screen.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
It's not weird, it's just not Apple. They pulled a Microsoft on this one and got lazy. In the sense that it was obvious the iPad version was not ready but they couldn't delay it probably due to stock holder pressure or media fallout saying Apple is slipping. But what they gave us for the iPad is the Phone version. The keyboard and folders being the most obvious evidence of this. I feel this is going to cause backlash for them which is the opposite they were shooting for.

Does iOS 7 work on iPad? Yes technically it does. Does it work well? No... :mad:

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Why not just delay it with new iPads released next month? There are gonna be tons of complaints come next week. Sad thing is these were all things that were mentioned reported and still not fixed. The "its a beta" argument was a bunch of BS when it came to glaring iPad issues to begin with.

The now playing lock screen is a complete joke. Everything is just crammed in the music app control area. Plus lots of things just take extra taps now where they didnt used to.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Jonnyb098, I couldn't agree with you more. It seriously should have been delayed until the launch of the new iPads. It needs more time in the lab to cook.

Another thing I've noticed, it seems slightly more blurry and not as vibrant. I wonder if this may be due to stretching assets from the phone version to the larger screen of the iPad in a rush job to get it out the door. I dunno maybe I'm just seeing it with rage eyes. :(

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I don't like how much screen real estate the status bar in Safari takes on the iPad, even without the bookmark toolbar. On the iPhone it actually shrinks when you scroll down so more of the page is visible.

And I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me but even in iOS 6 I don't remember Safari's status bar taking this much space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 139

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
I don't like how much screen real estate the status bar in Safari takes on the iPad, even without the bookmark toolbar. On the iPhone it actually shrinks when you scroll down so more of the page is visible.

And I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me but even in iOS 6 I don't remember Safari's status bar taking this much space.

I think Apple could make icons smaller, so that statues bar takes lesser space. If you compare with Safari on OS X, you notice that OS X version's tool bar takes lesser space.

Because of iPad have so much more screen real estate, hiding tool bar is not necessary.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
Is it true that on multitasking there is still only the same amount of apps shown as on an iPhone? Think its about three...? If so that's a complete joke! It will make it feel like a giant iphone which for me anyway I have never felt my ipad is. I'm really weary about upgrading my ipad next week, phone ill do no concerns but my ipad is my most important of the two, I got rid of my laptop so do not want it feeling like a big iPhone.

Does anyone know where there are wak through videos of the gm on ipad? Checked YouTube but all it brings up is nonsense about getting the gm early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.