Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to have removed iCloud Keychain support from the iOS 7 Golden Master (GM), which was seeded to developers yesterday. While iCloud preferences previously listed iCloud Keychain, the option has now been removed, suggesting that the initial public release of iOS 7 will not include the function.

icloudkeychain.jpg
iCloud Keychain is also newly tagged as "Coming soon" on Apple's iOS 7 feature page and while it is unclear why it has been removed from the GM, it is likely that Apple has chosen to provide the feature alongside OS X Mavericks, which is slated to be released later this year.

First introduced at WWDC, iCloud Keychain is Apple's new cross-device password manager, designed to share and store passwords across all of Apple's products running iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks. In addition to passwords, iCloud Keychain also stores website logins, credit card information, and Wi-Fi networks.

While Mavericks will not be available until later in the fall, iOS 7 will be released to the public on September 18, ahead of the release of both the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c.

Article Link: iCloud Keychain Removed in iOS 7 GM

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
If it isn't ready for primetime, then it isn't ready. For something as significant as passwords, I'd rather they get it right the first time than rush out something to make a deadline.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
It kind of makes no sense without Mavericks. I think it'll appear via a minor update on the day Mavericks is publicly released.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Very interested in this feature... I have been using 1Password for all my passwords for years now... only downfall i see to this is that it doesn't work on PC's

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
The fingerprint thing would seem to make this walking obsolete. But guess that is hardware only. And sites still require passwords

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
A little irked, but then again I suppose for passwords I would prefer they take their time.

At the same time though, I have to admit that working hard on security, passwords and fingerprints during a time when more and more news of the level to which the NSA has been utilizing those resources really diminishes the impact of those advances.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
This is one feature that I am really looking forward to. I wish it would at least allow me to sync between my iPad & iPhone until they have mavericks ready, but I understand if they need to release both at the same time.

Hopefully both will be ready soon.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
A little irked, but then again I suppose for passwords I would prefer they take their time.

At the same time though, I have to admit that working hard on security, passwords and fingerprints during a time when more and more news of the level to which the NSA has been utilizing those resources really diminishes the impact of those advances.

Protip: Don't store them in the cloud.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I've run iOS 7 since the first beta but this was something I left off and intended on leaving off until it was final.

Too risky to use a beta password manager. IMHO at least.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I'm sure they're waiting until Mavericks for that. A 7.1 beta for developers will probably be out at some point soon to continue testing it. My guess is that 7.1, Mavericks, and the new iPads will all launch at the same time. Maybe the Mac Pros too.

Smiles77

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
In the present
It's somewhat expected, to me. I've been using both Mavericks and iOS 7 since DP2, and there's been a lot of issues with resets and automatic disabling. Having upgraded both devices (Air & iPad mini) at once and having to re-enable iCloud keychain led to a required reset since I didn't have an active device with it enabled on it. This was both frustrating and required a silly workaround (upgrading one at a time and re-activating before updating the other device). It would be especially messy if someone only had one device, as you were resetting every update (thus losing all your "secure" passwords you can't remember).

In the latest update to Mavericks, it now has you enter a 4-digit pin so you can reactivate it on same devices. This fixes the biggest problem, but I can see how Apple would much rather introduce it side-by-side with Mac and iOS devices as it affects your usage on both. Imagine using Keychain-provided passwords on your iOS device, and then not being able to sign in on your Mac. Definite problem.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
I thought this with fingerprint access would be the killer feature of iOS 7. I'm frankly baffled that they didn't make a bigger deal out of this.

allthingschris

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
I've been running into a number of websites that says "this site has asked iCloud not to store your password", which makes it impossible to use the keychain feature anyway. I wonder if they've been facing pushback from external sources?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You can't login to Netflix, your bank, or any of a million other places with your fingerprint at the moment, so no, it won't.

Your fingerprint will be your password to the 'keychain' of all your other passwords, including Netflix, your bank, etc. Much like 1password works (but with a fingerprint password instead of a text password)

So, yes, you will be able to get into Netflix/your bank with your fingerprint.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
They have a PC version, I have been using it at work for over a year and a half.

I was reffereing to the iCloud Keychain.... I use 1Password on my iPhone, iPad, Mac and PC's

I think a password manager has to be cross platform for it to really work.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
After their developer program breach I'm a little uneasy storing such information with them anyway.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
A launch along side OS X Mavs AND further refinement of incorporation of Touch ID with the keychain I'd wager are the key reasons for the delay.

No biggie - glad it's still coming soon! Looks like a nifty feature. My mortgage company will sure appreciate it since I call them every month because I forgot my password....:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.