Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
At first I wondered why there wasn't test of it anywhere on the page, just pictures. then I kept reading and I was like "oh, damn".

Anyway if I send this to my bro and crash my messages app will it crash his too when he reads it?

Also, anyone think it would crash if it was in a SVG?

ampfonseca

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
At first I wondered why there wasn't test of it anywhere on the page, just pictures. then I kept reading and I was like "oh, damn".

Anyway if I send this to my bro and crash my messages app will it crash his too when he reads it?

Also, anyone think it would crash if it was in a SVG?

Sure, you paste it in the iMessage and press return very fast and booth clients will crash.
If you want to restore your iMessage app just read my post on the previous page, it's very simple. I've done this to some friends, specially to some addicted apple fanboys. Some of them are still trying to restore the iMessage app, they are not very smart.

It should not crash if you send it in SVG, simply because SVG is not rendered by coretext. SVG is a simply vector image.

And I have a suprise for all of you:

شكرا لترجمة هذا

BAAAAAM!!!

Just kidding :D
Now I usually send some arab text (not the exploit) in the iMessage and my friends just die in fear when they see it :p

Last edited:

ampfonseca

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
You must not be too good of friends. Why would you do that to them? :confused:

Its a prank, they do the same kind of things to me :). I didn't send it to some random people. Most of them are all Computer Science students just like me, they know how to solve the problem, and if they don't, I will help them.

I'm incapable of sending this to other people other then a CS student. They didn't react badly, they actually loved it, it's always a challenge to us (CS students) to solve this kind of problems.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Good news, and I don't know if this was mentioned, but the text won't crash safari (or any other apps) on my mac with mavericks DP6 :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Good news, and I don't know if this was mentioned, but the text won't crash safari (or any other apps) on my mac with mavericks DP6 :)
Yes, it was mentioned in the first post that it only works on iOS 6 and OS X 10.8, not any other version of OS X or iOS.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
10.7.5 is immune, for what it's worth.

And since I can view the text safely, I'll share the auto-translation you're all dying for:

Smoouhkh Amartykh.

That's not Arabic. That sounds more like Simlish!* :D

* the fictional language used by The Sims

----------

And I have a suprise for all of you:

شكرا لترجمة هذا

Arabic-English translation: "In his House at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu orders Chinese takeout."

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
It causes the Chrome tab to turn blue with a dead face too. At least it doesn't quit the program.

**** this ****. When fonts can destabilize the software, there's a problem.

pchasco

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
I wonder if Apple will start blocking WebKit now because of vulnerabilities? Or are they only blocking third party tech that they want to destroy?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wonder if Apple will start blocking WebKit now because of vulnerabilities? Or are they only blocking third party tech that they want to destroy?

It is not a vulnerability. It _crashes_ an application, so the application is gone and cannot do any harm. Nobody can get access to your data, credit card etc. through an app that crashes.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I can confirm that the Arabic Text Exploit Crash Bug has been fixed with the latest version of OS X 10.8.5 -- it does not crash Safari anymore!

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
It is not a vulnerability. It _crashes_ an application, so the application is gone and cannot do any harm. Nobody can get access to your data, credit card etc. through an app that crashes.

Same with typical Denial of Service, you can take a website offline, but you're not putting any information at risk.
If, lets say, Macrumors went offline (times out on load) nobody, hopefully, would assume Macrumors got compromised, just as, if an app started crashing on my Phone/computer, I would never in 1 million years think someone compromised my information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.