Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
It feel like I've started way too many threads lately, but I have a quick question that should have a simple answer.

I bought an emac last year and am planning on selling it soon after my ibook arrives! :) But I was wondering if I could take out a stick of RAM from my emac and put it in my ibook. I ordered my emac with 1GB of RAM from apple (I was naive then) so it seems that I could take out the extra stick and use it for my ibook right? Thanks for any help :)

xFU3Lx

macrumors member
May 24, 2005
jmufellow said:
It feel like I've started way too many threads lately, but I have a quick question that should have a simple answer.

I bought an emac last year and am planning on selling it soon after my ibook arrives! :) But I was wondering if I could take out a stick of RAM from my emac and put it in my ibook. I ordered my emac with 1GB of RAM from apple (I was naive then) so it seems that I could take out the extra stick and use it for my ibook right? Thanks for any help :)
Depends on whether they use the same type of RAM. The iBooks use DDR333 SD RAM I believe. Not sure on the Emac's though.

mpq

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
Not happening. The iBook uses SO-DIMM RAM. RAM from the eMac won't fit.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
here's what I've got. I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff BTW.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
Sorry, there is no way ur getting RAM out of ur eMac to fit in the iBook. Laptops use much smaller size RAM chips than destops. Hopefully these pictures can illistrate this fact....
wtlf-pc-ram.jpg

LapMem5.jpg

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
ok well thanks for the help...I guess I'll sell the emac with the full gig of RAM

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
OK, another question, will it work for a G5 iMac? Because I may be getting one in the future.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
yea i will work in the imac, but because the ram is 2700 and the imac comes with 3200 the 2700 ram will make the 3200 ram slow down to 2700. I would just sell the ram.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
hmmm ok, I guess there's no other way around it....I spent waaay too much $ for that RAM, I'll just sell it for what other RAM is selling for

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.