Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
hello, i was wondering if anyone else has this issue. i noticed that the 1TB wd my passport usb 3.0 does not work on my 2013 macbook air (tried 2TB passport and works just fine, btw)..... when i plug it in, it intermittently freezes my macbook air, also does not even recognize it. when i unplug it, everyone goes back to normal...anyone?

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Does it happen on both USB ports or/and with both USB 3.0 cables?

yeah it happens on both usb 3 ports on the mba. i have also tried a differant usb 3 cord, just in case it was a faulty cord. so its not the cord. also, the drive works just fine on just about every computer(2012 mba, mbp, 2013 imac, etc). except the 2013 macbook air...also i have repaired permissions, but it didn't do anything.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I'm using a Seagate Hybrid (Fusion) 500GB SSHD in an Orico USB 3.0 enclosure without incident, in fact when I'm in a stationary place, that is my boot drive. I have some USB 2.0 flash stocks, and have no problem with those either. If you have eliminated the cable, there must be something wonky with the connector on your Passport. Don't know what else it could be.

Lou

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I also have a 1TB passport and haven't noticed any issues on my 2013 11" MBA.

oh wow. that is strange then. a 1tb my passport (the current generation, not the "for mac" one though. i had to format it once i got it, so it can work.) i have also secure erased it. and nothing. still once i plug it in, it freezes down my 2013 mba 11'' ( works just fine on a 2012 mba, but freezes a 2013 mba) and doesn't appear on my finder...

Nov 28, 2010
located
oh wow. that is strange then. a 1tb my passport (the current generation, not the "for mac" one though. i had to format it once i got it, so it can work.) i have also secure erased it. and nothing. still once i plug it in, it freezes down my 2013 mba 11'' ( works just fine on a 2012 mba, but freezes a 2013 mba) and doesn't appear on my finder...

Then it is probably a wonky USB chipset on the HDD. Can you still return it or let it be replaced by WD?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
oh wow. that is strange then. a 1tb my passport (the current generation, not the "for mac" one though.

I think we are talking about the same model. Mine is a black My Passport 1GB. I formatted it as Journaled HFS+ when I got it and have been using it for encrypted time machine backups.

This is how it shows in System Information:

My Passport 0748:

Product ID: 0x0748
Vendor ID: 0x1058 (Western Digital Technologies, Inc.)
Version: 10.19
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxx
Speed: Up to 5 Gb/sec
Manufacturer: Western Digital

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I think we are talking about the same model. Mine is a black My Passport 1GB. I formatted it as Journaled HFS+ when I got it and have been using it for encrypted time machine backups.

This is how it shows in System Information:

My Passport 0748:

Product ID: 0x0748
Vendor ID: 0x1058 (Western Digital Technologies, Inc.)
Version: 10.19
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxx
Speed: Up to 5 Gb/sec
Manufacturer: Western Digital

yeah, thats the one i have. this is strange......

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
"For Mac" just means it's pre-formated in HFS+ and has a "Mac like" grey or white casing with a price mark up.

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
WD has Mac software you can use to update the firmware on their drives. You might try using that to make sure you have the newest WD firmware release.

yeah. i was very hopeful of this when i thought of it. i have done this update for mac wd firmware, to no avail. still same problem.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
yeah, thats the one i have. this is strange......

not that strange mate...it happens:(
try repairing permissions or even reformatting, but i have the same drive (although mine is 2tb) and it works great.

as it were, the "my passport for mac" is WAY overpriced imo so you bought the right drive. hopefully it's still under warrranty

good luck

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
not that strange mate...it happens:(
try repairing permissions or even reformatting, but i have the same drive (although mine is 2tb) and it works great.
yeah i also have the 2tb passport and it works just fine. i have reformatted, repaired, etc. works fine on every other computer at the apple store and friends macs. just doesn't work on the macbook air 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.