Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Hello everyone,

I often use my iPad when traveling as a notebook replacement, and therefore bought the Logitech Ultra Thin Keyboard Cover a while ago (which is amazing, if you ask me...).

Few days ago I installed iOS 7 on my iPad, and while there is still a lot of room for improvements I noticed that they finally transfered some keyboard shortcuts from the Mac to the OS, which in many cases makes it a LOT more fluid to use.

So I thought we could make a list of shortcuts that are now available:

SHORTCUTs THAT WORKED BEFORE:

Shift+Arrows => Select text
CMD+A => Select everything
CMD+Arrows => Move cursor to end/front of line
ALT+Arrows => Move cursor to next / previous word
CMD+C/X/V => Copy, cut, paste

That's pretty much it. But now there're a lot of "regulars" from the Mac that have been transferred to iOS 7.

NEW SHORTCUTS IN SAFARI:

CMD+T => Open new Tab
CMD+W => Close current Tab
CMD+L => Move cursor into location bar (allows to start typing new URL immediately)
CMD+R => Refresh page

MAIL:

CMD+N => Compose new Mail
CMD+Shift+D => Send mail (in compose mode)

That's it for now, but I'll keep posting more as I find them. Also, if you find something let me know and I'll add it to the list.

Last edited:

Riverton

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Awesome! The more keyboard shortcuts, the better. I love, love, love keyboard shortcuts. :D

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Oh! you mean using a Bluetooth keyboard...got it! :D

I was like wth there is no command key on iOS. LOL

jfoley89

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
is there still no way to send a message in messages? cause when you push enter it just creates another line..

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Just testing on iPhone 5 with iOS 7, the new Mail ones are available but doesn't seem like the Safari ones are.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Any way of sending the message using the keyboard in iMessage or do you still have to hit 'send' on the screen?

I'm actually flabbergasted that you have to touch the screen to send the damn message in iOS6 :p

Tricky16

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2013
I have an apple Bluetooth keyboard that I use with my iPad....is there a shortcut for the home button in ios7?

melb00m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Any way of sending the message using the keyboard in iMessage or do you still have to hit 'send' on the screen?

I'm actually flabbergasted that you have to touch the screen to send the damn message in iOS6 :p

I was looking for that, too, but didn't find any yet unfortunately.

Also, I don't like that scrolling is still not possible using the arrow keys. Especially in Safari, where this is pretty much the only thing that you'll still need to take your fingers off the keyboard for.

And yes, the shortcuts that are available in iOS match the ones from OS X (which makes a lot of sense...). But only a fraction of the ones from the Mac are now in iOS 7. Still, it's a nice improvement.

Jeff Chen

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
I'm glad to see that they are putting more of the OSX keyboard shortcuts in iOS. Productivity! :cool:

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Not sure if this is new, but a number of apps that use text input (including Notability, Pages, and Evernote) now support Cmd+b, i, and u for bold/italicize/underline, which is really nice and streamlines long-form writing on the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.