Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Edit: Ignore this thread. I searched the forums, but missed the iOS blog post... Mods: feel free to delete this thread.

Completely unmentioned anywhere is the fact that the iPod touch now has the new iPhone 5S' "Space Gray" color as an option. (Apparently replacing black.)

What's funny is that the iPod touch pages show some pictures with the new lighter gray color, and some with the older darker gray (black-ish) color. But the order page specifically calls out that Space Gray is a new color.

The iPod touch page has also been updated to show iOS 7.

Attachments

• SpaceGrayTouch.PNG
    SpaceGrayTouch.PNG
    115.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Bruce1967

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
I wonder if the iPod Touch will now ship with iOS 7 or will it have to be upgraded except for the "space grey" model of course.

Bruce1967

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
The email I got from apple said it would arrive between September 25 and 27. so it guess it will probably have iOS7 installed since its the space grey one. I was hoping they might upgrade the processor to the A6 or make a 128gb model and make the 32gb model the base model but a color change was it..too bad. I wonder if they will keep the iPod classic now since there is no 128gb iPod touch or iPhone.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I wonder if the classic will go away and the iPod Touch will just get an OS update and no hardware changes this year. Strange there is no rumors about the iPod Touch. If anything, it should be the first product to get a 5+ inch screen.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Seems to have changed with the 7th gen iPod nano as well.

EDIT: iPod Shuffle as well..

EDIT #2:
I can't see if the face of the new space grey model is white or black. I lost my black iPod 5G, so if this one has a white face.... :(

Looks like it'll be a black face. If you select the space grey iPod Touch on apple.com/store it shows a picture of it on the right with a black face.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I wonder if the classic will go away and the iPod Touch will just get an OS update and no hardware changes this year. Strange there is no rumors about the iPod Touch. If anything, it should be the first product to get a 5+ inch screen.

I wish I could understand the appeal of a 5+ inch screen. :) I mean it has to be surrounded by something probably at least 1/8" thick, no? Or more, since it's hard to hold those things along the sides without activating something on the screen sometimes. And then Apple always puts space at top and bottom for stuff like the cam and the home button... So I start getting this mental impression of something that will only fit into cargo-style pockets or maybe the oversize pockets of those "big shirt" tops. it starts to sound like something would be the overall size of those old Palm Pilots with the hardware keyboard. Seems like a retro sorta size... too big for smartphone or what I think of as phoneless-iPhone (iPod touch) and too small for a tablet.

Maybe it's just that I really like my iPad mini and the 4S iPhone. I like my iPod touch 5th gen as well, but for movies, not for reading books and I don't use it for mail. I'm probably heading towards a 5C upgrade since the 4S is getting long in the tooth, so the mail thing will change, but I'll keep the 4S for WiFi use and especially for reading books. So I'm always migrating to the next levels with Apple, albeit behind the curve, but so far I still just don't see how a 5"-plus screen on the smaller range of mobiles would really fit my needs or preferences. Trying to keep an open mind!

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Space Gray seems like a nice color option for those with conservative color preferences..... but ahem, I've owned an iPod Touch 5G since it came out late 2012 ... and I can tell you that it was never "black" to begin with. It was always Charcoal Grey, a very dark grey bordering on black. And a gorgeous color for people who prefer more conservative/masculine colors.

This Space Gray option....IMHO it looks fantastic on the metallic body of the iPhone 5S. Not sure if it will be as stunning on an iTouch.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I want to see "space grey" in person. I'm a big fan of the Slate color that now seems discontinued.

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
guys i like the ipod touch 5th gen black very much ... do you think apple is still selling it right now as i intend to get it tomorrow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.