Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
q708.jpg

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Contest now closed.

Some really great shots people. I'll be back later this evening with the results.

...Peter

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
OK, here we go…

Team Timm: I love dogs and I love shots of dogs and this is a good shot of a dog and I really like the playful angle. Just a couple things that didn’t quite work for me.

- The theme is water but clearly the star of your shot (and subject) is the dog.
- I don’t think this is HDR but for me the colour and contrast is just a bit too much and could be toned down a bit.
- As dog shots go, I would prefer to have the dog swimming into the frame instead of out of the frame.

firedept: I like this shot and the beautiful colours of the lake. It brings back fond memories of my trip to Jasper many years ago. The only thing about this shot is that, contrary to the shot by Team Timm, I think that the colours could use just a touch more saturation to make the water and this shot really standout.

Hankster: I really like this. Water is clearly the star of the shot and you nailed the depth of field, focus, colour and composition. I have to admit that I’m partial to macro water shots and the interesting play of light and reflection off the water. I’ve also seen a lot of good macro water drop/leaf type shots but I don’t remember seeing one where the water is suspended between the leaves of the plant. Very well done Hankster.

Melizard: This is a hard one to critique for a theme of water, as you actually can’t see any water you just know it’s there. For this reason, I think the subject of your shot really is the fish and as shots of fish go, it’s really very good.

What p&s camera did you use? I’d like to get one myself.

twitch31: Lovely Venetian scene. I hope to get there myself one of these days.

In this shot, I’m drawn to the great details in the architecture and stonework of the old city. Normally, this would be good…if the theme wasn’t water. Still, an excellent shot and well done.

LongSticks: Great colour of the water in this shot but the shark would be the main subject of the image and not the water. One more point…I think that, if I has looking for an image of a shark, it would be better if the snout was not cut off and if the shark was swimming into the frame.

fireman32: I like this shot and I’m a bit surprised that there weren’t more waterfall shots. This one has a well-timed exposure with just the right amount of blur. The only thing here is that I feel the cottage is too predominant in the frame. If you could have moved a bit to your right you might have been able to highlight more of the waterfall.

Just a suggestion…you could also try to selectively, reduce the red saturation of the cottage so it doesn’t standout so much.

JDDavis: Another really good shot where water is clearly the star (with a great background sky). I also like the B&W treatment. The only small nit, and this is just a personal preference thing…because the mist from the geyser appears to be blowing a bit from right to left, I would have framed the geyser slightly to the right and maybe even all the way to the one third line. Still…very well done JDDavis.

themumu: I’m guessing from the title “Limitless” that you intending the broad, almost monochromatic, expanse of water and sky. For me though, the shot feels like it’s missing something. It may be because the birds (Herons?) are too small to add to the composition but if they weren’t in the shot, there wouldn’t be anything left to define the composition.

truettray: Another very good and interesting water shot and definitely not a typical waterfall shot. Good composition, nice detail and texture of the water and cool perspective. I like it.

Keleko: This is well done and well composed and I really like the way the water is curling over the young lady. Only thing here is that she steals the show from the theme of water.

Cyclops62: This is a very cool and fun shot. The perfect use of depth of field and focus maintains the emphasis on the water and the water bubbles while leaving the viewer with a playful story in the background. Well done.

jtrainor56: Overall, a very good landscape shot where the shorelines and water lead your eye to that beautiful spot in the centre of the top shore. That spot looks so well manicured (golf course perhaps?). There is a lot of good stuff happening here but I don’t feel that water stands out significantly as the subject on its own.

BenTrovato: Interesting that this shot actually captures 3 different occurrences of water: rain, the lake and the pool. Unfortunately, none of the three stand out individually to capture my interest as a subject. It would be much improved if the branch of the maple tree wasn’t obstructing the view of the water.

Puckman: This is a good sunset picture with a nicely coloured sky and well silhouetted foreground. However, it feels to me that the shot is more about the sky and the foreground than the water.

someoldguy: This is a creative shot with nice colour in the sky and water. It looks like it may be a shot of an old fortress. Only thing is that I’m drawn to the stone and brickwork so much more than the water.

ijohn.8.80: Clearly this is shot about water. Nice textures from a long exposure at (I’m guessing) sunset and the colour is interesting (possibly missing some highlights to give the shot some oomph). It is a good shot but to me is missing something; missing a purpose that engages my interest.

pmxperience: I think a fountain is a great way to show off or showcase water. This is a very nice shot with great lighting (the blue bridge in the background contrasts nicely with the pink fountain. The only nit with this shot is the unfortunate location and lighting of the buildings in the background. Some would say the buildings add to the composition but think they make it just a touch too busy.

acearchie: Great colour in the sky that is beautifully reflected on the water. Only problem here, as with some others, is that I fell the sky is the star of the shot and that the water is a supporting element.

Elbert C: Nice b&w treatment for this shot with good water reflection but I'm not really clear about the subject. It looks like wreckage of some sort – perhaps after a storm. But to me, water is not the strongest element as I'm drawn more to the debris.

charpi: A good water shot where water is definitely the subject. Nice exposure with just a bit of blur captured. The only criticism with your shot is the angle. It may have been intentional but I find the tilt to the left leaves me with a bit of an awkward feeling.

MacRy: Wow…this is a really good shot that I like a lot MacRy. Beautiful colour and composition with great detail. Myself, I found my attention drawn to the sand bar in the centre of the shot instead of the surrounding water. However I do find it difficult to be critical of a really good photo.

Indydenny: I love the ocean and really enjoy spending time around a spot where waves come crashing onto the shore. This a great capture with beautiful colour and perfect timing. But, as with some others, my attention is drawn to the rock first and the wave second.

Jodelli: Nice colour and capture of what lies beneath the surface of the water in this spot. I do think that the subject of your shot, as it is the strongest element, is the bottom of the river or lake and not the water itself.

Fezwick: Outstanding capture Fezwick. I love the colours and the fact that this is a shot about water. You nailed the long exposure without blurring any of the surrounding trees and leaves. I also like the framing… looks like you may have been on a rock in the centre of the stream. Was your tripod set-up on a rock or in the stream? Well done.

A lot a really good shots that made judging difficult but here are the winners:

3rd place: Is a tie between Fezwick and JDDavis
2nd place: Cyclops62

And finally…

1st place goes to: Hankster

Thanks to everyone who submitted to the contest. :) Now over to you Hankster.

…Peter

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Agree some really good shots here (hence me not entering). My personal favourite is Indydenny on the rocks. Lovely motion in that water.

Fireman 32 and Frezwick are good looking shots too. Well done to all

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Thanks C&A

Thanks for the comments. I should have considered the theme of water more in my offering

I actually re composed that way, as I thought that being at the bottom of the frame it implied more of a threat!

Great competition this week and congrats to all.

You asked about P&S underwater. I use a Panasonic TZ20 with a full Panasonic 40m depth case. Definitely better and more secure solution than supposed underwater cameras! Make sure that you can set custom white balance underwater to a white slate is definitely needed.

Took this in the Maldives 2 years ago.

IMG_7569.jpeg

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Congrats Hankster!

Cheese&Apple thank you for comments. Funny you say more saturation. I actually toned it back thinking I had to much. Should have left it alone. Another lesson learned.

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Congrats Hankster!. Thanks for the great judging. I did have another shot like you suggested but I did not like it as much. Thanks to everyone who liked my photo.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Great job judging Cheese and thanks for all the comments. Wonderful set of pics in this contest. I really enjoyed a bunch of them. Looking forward to the next one.

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
OK, here we go…

Melizard: This is a hard one to critique for a theme of water, as you actually can’t see any water you just know it’s there. For this reason, I think the subject of your shot really is the fish and as shots of fish go, it’s really very good.

What p&s camera did you use? I’d like to get one myself.
Thank you! I recently purchased the Olympus TG-2 underwater camera and fish-eye lens. I really like it because I can adjust the aperture, the only thing missing is the ability to shoot in RAW. It's waterproof to 50', more if you get the housing. http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tg-2-ihs.html

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Weekly Photo Contest (September 3 to 9): Water

MacRy: Wow…this is a really good shot that I like a lot MacRy. Beautiful colour and composition with great detail. Myself, I found my attention drawn to the sand bar in the centre of the shot instead of the surrounding water. However I do find it difficult to be critical of a really good photo.

Thanks for the comments fella. I'm glad that you enjoyed the photo. It was a toss up between that one and this one.

9539670364_1fb60466f6_b.jpg

I felt the one I went with was a stronger shot.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
OK, here we go…

<snip>

A lot a really good shots that made judging difficult but here are the winners:

3rd place: Is a tie between Fezwick and JDDavis
2nd place: Cyclops62

And finally…

1st place goes to: Hankster

Thanks to everyone who submitted to the contest. :) Now over to you Hankster.

…Peter

Peter that's an amazing effort you made in the judging and feedback, a huge thanks to you for that. Congratulations to the winners this week and for the range of entries too. I was just expecting to see beach scenes, creeks/rivers and fountains.

ijohn.8.80: Clearly this is shot about water. Nice textures from a long exposure at (I’m guessing) sunset and the colour is interesting (possibly missing some highlights to give the shot some oomph). It is a good shot but to me is missing something; missing a purpose that engages my interest.

For me, this shot is all about texture and subtle play of light. It's a rill that's stone lined and had a very shallow flow of water at this point, in a tunnel under a train track. Holding the camera just above the water, I aimed it towards the end of the tunnel and made sure there was just water in the frame. The only light is reflected from the other end of the tunnel some 50 metres away.

Exif says: Canon 1100D, Canon 55-250mm, Manual Exposure, ISO 1600, f/8, 1/10 sec, 250mm, September 18, 2012 2:02:05PM

Last edited:

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
One of the five Hidden Lakes in Jasper National Park. Take a look at the color. You will not see this anywhere else in the world. It is due to spring run off and the soil structure of the Rocky Mountains in Jasper.

Looks like Lake Yoho in British Columbia. I camped there a few weeks ago. Beautiful.

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
Fezwick: Outstanding capture Fezwick. I love the colours and the fact that this is a shot about water. You nailed the long exposure without blurring any of the surrounding trees and leaves. I also like the framing… looks like you may have been on a rock in the centre of the stream. Was your tripod set-up on a rock or in the stream? Well done.

My tripod was set up in the stream. The water wasn't rushing fast enough to move the camera on the tripod. Thanks for the critique and congrats to all the winners!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Looks like Lake Yoho in British Columbia. I camped there a few weeks ago. Beautiful.

B.C. is beautiful, but is a little different than Alberta. I have been most everywhere in the Rockies in Alberta and B.C., but I always come back to Alberta. I only live 3 hours from Jasper and 4 from B.C., so it is a trip I do several times a year to Jasper.

I also ski in Jasper and do a lot of climbing in the summer.

One of my favorite places in B.C. is Radium Hot Springs. Some beautiful areas to see around there. Yoho is beautiful as well. I travel through it quite often when visiting friends in Golden.

I'm very fortunate to have such close access to one of the most beautiful areas in the world to see.

If you ever get back camping in B.C. you should try the Princeton area. I volunteer with Younglife Canada and go to their resort in Princeton twice a year to help out with the kids camps they have. Some real nice camping areas to be had around there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.