Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An internal Apple video depicting the construction of an Apple pop-up store at the 2011 South by Southwest (SXSW) music festival in Austin, Texas has surfaced on YouTube (via Sonny Dickson). Specifically, the video starts with the store's unveiling and then transitions to the construction of the store, with floor construction, movement of products, and final decoration to match the internals of a standard Apple Retail Store. The video then shows the store's grand opening as employees are briefed and closes with the following quote from CNET senior writer Daniel Terdiman:
No matter how many giant stages Pepsi builds or parties Facebook or Digg throw, no matter how many giant buses CNN has there...when all is said and done the one launch everyone will remember from SXSW this year will be the pop-up Apple Store and the iPad 2 going on sale.
Apple opened the temporary store at SXSW in 2011 for the launch of the iPad 2, but chose not to create a store for the festival in the following year or in subsequent years. Among recent high-profile projects, Apple opened a new, glass-enclosed Apple Store at the Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto, California, and is working on a new two-story retail store in Shanghai's new IPAM mall.

Article Link: Internal Apple Video Showing Pop-Up Store Construction at SXSW 2011 Surfaces

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
That's the most permanent looking pop up store I've seen. Basically, they renovated a space with hardwood flooring and all the lighting and fixtures of a mall-type Apple store and called it a pop up.

By contrast, the Halloween pop up stores in my city are always in raw spaces with concrete floors and cash registers plugged into extension cords.

CHMK

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
very impressive that they can do this in quite a relatively short time.

'this is going to be one of the best days of your career'. god for their sake i certainly hope not.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
I think one criteria to be an Apple Genius is hipsterism.

You can be whatever you choose to be!

----------

Apple opened the temporary store at SXSW in 2011 for the launch of the iPad 2, but chose not to create a store for the festival in the following year or in subsequent years.

Apple opened the store in 2011

chose not to the following year (2012)

or in subsequent years (2013)

Are you describing 2013 as "subsequent years", don't you just mean, "two years ago, last year and this year" Work on your prose and tell your editor to wake up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.