Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Walmart, which has traditionally offered discounted pricing on the iPhone relative to standard pricing from Apple and other retailers, will be bringing that pricing strategy to the launch of Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c models.

As noted by CNET, Walmart stores will be offering pre-orders of the iPhone 5c starting tomorrow with pricing on the 16 GB version set at $79, a $20 discount compared to Apple's standard pricing with two-year contract. The iPhone 5s, which is not being made available for pre-order and launches on September 20, will be priced at $189 for the 16 GB model, a $10 discount from standard pricing.

iphone_5c_walmart_79.jpg
As with many other retailers, Walmart is also immediately cutting prices on the current models, dropping the 16 GB iPhone 5 to $79 and iPhone 4S models to $0.97. Beginning September 16, customers interested in purchasing the last of Walmart's iPhone 4 stock will also be able to do so for just $0.10 while receiving a $100 Walmart gift card.

Article Link: Walmart Offering Launch Discounts on New iPhones: $79 iPhone 5c, $189 iPhone 5s

pezj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Now I kinda want the C! S looks titties but for $79 I think I can do without the M7.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Does Walmart have an In-Store buy back program like Apple? Do you get a Walmart gift card to use towards the upgrade?

ManUtd08

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
I've never bought a phone at Walmart/Best Buy. Is one better than the other or are they about the same Customer Service wise?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I have an AT&T enterprise account so I guess it's not possible for me to get my 5S at walmart?

thefunmachine69

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
California
Just an FYI, you only pay sales tax on the upgrade price at Wal-Mart vs paying tax on the full price of the phone at the other guy. Well at least in California that is, it might differ from state to state.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
I've never bought a phone at Walmart/Best Buy. Is one better than the other or are they about the same Customer Service wise?

Walk in, buy phone at lower price, walk out. I'm not sure what other service they could fulfill. If I do get my daughter the 5C (still on the fence) and the $79 price is still an option, I'll grab one at Wallyworld.

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Interesting, considering in the past WalMart used to discount Apple products by no more than a dollar or two. It seems like they're making a more aggressive push to sell the iPhone. That can only be good for Apple.

If Apple had made a 64 gb version of the 5C, I'd be happy to trade my 5 for it.

Perfect Score

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2013
Toronto Canada
Feels like one of those 30 bucks off MacBook "specials" I see at BestBuy LOL.

The discount doesn't make any difference when you think about how much you're actually paying for that shiny new phone (incl. contract).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.