Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular RSS feed viewer Reeder has launched Reeder 2 for iOS devices, marking the return of the service to the App Store since it went without major updates following the shutdown of Google Reader this past July. The new app sports a revamped design and is compatible with numerous RSS services such as Feedly and Readability, as well as sharing services such as Instapaper, Facebook, and App.net. Gesture-based navigation and view modes with filters are also included within the app's settings.

reeder_2-800x473.jpg
Reeder is a RSS reader and client for Feedbin, Feedly, Feed Wrangler, Fever, and Readability.

- Feedbin syncing
- Feedly syncing
- Feed Wrangler syncing
- Fever syncing
- Readability syncing
- Local/standalone RSS (no sync)
- Support for multiple accounts

Sharing services:
- QUOTE.fm (recommend and read later)
- Buffer
- Readability
- Instapaper
- Pocket
- Evernote
- Pinboard
- Zootool
- Delicious
- App.net
- Twitter
- Facebook
Reeder 2 is $4.99 for the iPhone and iPad and is available now in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Redesigned RSS Feed Viewer 'Reeder 2' Launches for iOS Devices

brnmbrns

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I don't really see how this is any different than the latest Reeder 1. Don't get me wrong, I used Reeder every hour of every day for the past couple years, but this doesn't seem like it warrants a full price tag for what appears to be just a new coat of paint.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Good to see. I almost thought Reeder 2 was never going to see the light of day. I've been using Mr. Reeder which I've gotten pretty used to on the iPad.

Hopefully a Mac version will be available soon. I've been using Feedbin inside of a Fluid created 'app'.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
Love reeder. iPhone app is wonderful. However, Mr. Reader is now the iPad king. Love the viewing options for each feed!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Don't feel like paying for this again. Will move to Feedly on iPhone and Mr Reader on iPad.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Kind of lame to charge for an app update especially when the original was $5 if I recall correctly. I use the original every day and I guess I'll stick to it since it does support freely now.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Why did he just discontinue reeder for ipad and remove it from the app store? He updated the iphone version with feedly etc but not the ipad version and releases reeder 2.0 instead which is hardly a redesign or worthy of another purchase. I'm not paying again. I'll continue using the old reeder for iphone and move to mr reader for ipad which looks a lot better.

pinchies

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Ok, so what's new? What are existing users getting? To charge $5 just for iOS7 support is a bit rich! Not impressed!

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
My favorite reader. I don't mind paying $5 for the new version. I use Feedly to sync my RSS feeds, but I don't use the Feedly app. Been using Reeder since forever and it does everything I want it to do.

Paying $5.00 every few years isn't a big deal for me. I can now add new feeds to Feedly through Reeder, so that's worth it right there. Like the new look as well.

Bryan

KikoPT

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
Sad about this 2 version ...

Didn't really expected to pay for refactored sync + paint job.

I've been a happy user of Reeder for iPhone, iPad and OSX, but having this price and not really anything new .... not mentioning the time i've waited for this ... i'm considering alternatives as of now!

Can anyone recommend something (meaning app names) for iOS and Mac? I prefer to read things on an App, instead of a WebApp.

Nikcomp

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
Best RSS reader but shouldn't have charge so much

The cost should have been 1.99. The update really is just pulling out the bugs of the old reader particularly when working with Feedly and a more IOS 7 like look. Its a great reader but I am not sure 4.99 was a fair price to those of us who owned the previous. If you don't own Reader then get this, its the best for RSS

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Gladly paid for the new version. I don't mind paying $5 to support the developer since I use it many times a day! Nothing even comes close to it, imo.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Funny that there's such a high correlation between "it's too expensive" and "I use this app all the time" in posts.

So there's not much changed? This means I'm now paying this company $10 over time instead of the original $5? For an app I literally use more than anything else on my phone?

That's fine by me.

kevinpdoyle

macrumors member
May 2, 2012
Why did he just discontinue reeder for ipad and remove it from the app store? He updated the iphone version with feedly etc but not the ipad version and releases reeder 2.0 instead which is hardly a redesign or worthy of another purchase. I'm not paying again. I'll continue using the old reeder for iphone and move to mr reader for ipad which looks a lot better.

Reeder 2 is now a Universal App so I hardly see a reason why he would update 2 separate versions of the app when he has combined it into one streamlined app.

Funny that there's such a high correlation between "it's too expensive" and "I use this app all the time" in posts.

So there's not much changed? This means I'm now paying this company $10 over time instead of the original $5? For an app I literally use more than anything else on my phone?

That's fine by me.

Exactly. I like how people feel entitled to an app an its support for indefinite period of time simply because they paid a small amount of money years ago. I will gladly pay an extra $5 for a improved look and snappier response for an app i use daily. The guy makes a great product he deserves my money.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Reeder 2 is now a Universal App so I hardly see a reason why he would update 2 separate versions of the app when he has combined it into one streamlined app.

well whats the point in updating the iphone version then if he was going to release reeder 2? He could've just added feedly to reeder for ipad because people bought it and would've still used it.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I find it funny that many people on here who complain about a "race to the bottom" for pricing are now huffing and puffing when it comes time to their your money where their mouth is. $5.00 for a quality app I open on my phone probably 20+ times a day.... that's what, a coffee and a donut's worth of money?

Would $1.99 or FREE better than spending money. Of course. But if the dev thinks he needs $5 a pop to keep the app up and running for the future, then so be it. You are free to switch, but if $5.00 is the reason making you switch, then I would seriously sit down and think that through. How many pennies do you toss in a year? Stop doing that and buy the damn app!

Bryan

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Why do people like Feedly? I couldn't be more disappointed with it, possibly the worst UI I've ever seen for RSS.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
For iPhone, I use Newsify. I was a longtime Reeder user for iPhone and Mac. On the iPhone, I like Newsify much better than Reeder. It has a lot of preferences to customize the user experience, including the slide to right from left to go back which will be very common in iOS 7 apps.

I have also been very disappointed in Reeder's lack of support. Support emails never get answered and there was not support when google reader was shutdown.

On my Mac, I actually like Feedly a lot, especially the ability of have a different views by feed. So photo intensive feeds can have a more magazine or card view and news feeds can have the typical news view. But the Feedly iPhone app needs a lot of work to improve it.

So if you are still looking for an iPhone RSS app check out Newsify. It is free to try and $.99 to opt out of ads.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/newsify-your-rss-news-blog/id510153374?mt=8

bubba451

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002

That's fine by me.

Thank you. Couldn't agree more.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
It's a good app and worth more than $5. I bought it since I use it throughout the day, everyday. I'm not sure why people complain about apps being so expensive. I last paid for Reeder years ago and considering the frequency with which I use it, it's cheap. I've paid more at Starbucks and their products and service are considerably more inconsistent and overpriced.

However, support is limited and I do find I like some of the view options Mr. Reader provides. I'm going to give it a try for a few days to see if I like it best.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I use Reeder dozens and dozens of times a day - it was an instant buy after I saw v2 had been released. Didn't even wait for reviews to come in, I knew it was going to be great.

Don't mind paying £2.99 for an app that now looks much more suited to iOS 7 and with the ability to add feeds for Feedly. Also, it's universal.

I'll happily pay £4.99 or whatever it will cost for Reeder 2 on the Mac - for me, it's simply an indespensible app.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks that version 1 was far superior in terms of design? That whitish tone of version 2 and now version 3 — I never got used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.