Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shipment volumes of the display panels used in Apple's new iPhone 5s are expected to reach 10-15 million units in the third quarter of 2013, according to industry sources cited by Digitimes. Primary Apple supplier Sharp is expected to produce 7 million units, with LG Display and Japan Display expected to pick up the rest of the orders for the recently announced device.

iphone_5s_5c.jpg
In addition to Sharp, LG Display and Japan Display are expected to pick up the rest of the orders, making the three companies the main panel suppliers for the iPhone 5s, the sources said.

Additionally, more than 20 million panels for the device are expected to be shipped in the fourth quarter of 2013, the sources said.
The report also states that display panel orders for the lower-cost iPhone 5c are expected to reach 30 million units in the fourth quarter, with analysts suggesting that the high volume of panel shipments for the iPhone 5c may signal an expectation set by Apple for the mid-range device to do well in the region.
Market observers added that panel shipments for the iPhone 5c are expected to surpass those of the iPhone 5s, showing that Apple is more optimistic about growth in the mid-range handset segment in markets such as China.
Previously, it was reported that iPhone 5s production would be limited to 3-4 million units in Q3 2013 due to shortages of the device's fingerprint sensor, which Apple is touting as a key feature. Additionally, a report earlier this year stated that Apple had sent orders for LCD panels for the iPhone 5S to all three companies in June, with Japan Display gearing up production levels as of last month.

The iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c will go on sale in nine countries on September 20, with the iPhone 5c available for pre-order on September 13. Apple is not accepting pre-orders for the iPhone 5s.

Article Link: Display Panel Shipment Projections Suggest iPhone 5c May Be More Popular Than iPhone 5s

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Neither of these phones will be hard to find

Buzz is next to zero, but it will sell millions

S

syd430

I still can't figure out who is going to buy this thing.

Edit: at that price point

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam552

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2006
Liverpool, UK.
I prefer the appearance of the 5c, I also prefer the look of my iPhone 5 to the 5s.

Not surprised if it were to be more popular really, it's cheaper, runs fast enough for average user. I'd buy one over the 5s probably.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
expensive for most chinese, not those with a lot of money

this is the same strategy as Mac's. dell/hp still sell more computers than apple. who makes more money?

but here apple has a phone that is slightly more expensive but a much better device. that scenario wasnt or isnt there with the computers

aikomhoch

macrumors member
May 23, 2003
Long Island

This is a good phone for younger people. A friend of mine is buying a 5c for his 11 year old son. Kid wants 32gigs so he can shoot some video and mess around, but he doesn't need top of the line new phone. Saves the family some upfront money. I believe this phone will be very popular for middle schoolers and high schoolers.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

50% of iPhone sales in the last year were not iPhone 5. Meaning half the buyers went for 4 or 4s. Since the 5c is billed as an all new model, and will appeal to some folks on color alone, I assume that number not buying the flagship model will rise.

Personally, I agree - would much rather pay $100 more (not much over the life of the contract) for the flagship model. But prior selling trends indicate the 5c will do very well.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I wonder if the 5c will actually be more profitable for Apple than the 5s? They seem to be pushing it almost more strongly than the flagship...allowing pre-orders, cool cases, etc. Don't know how much the A7 and the fingerprint sensor cost but maybe they actually make the 5s the lower margin phone?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
So there are different displays in the two devices? Is it known yet whether there's an IGZO panel in the 5s?

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Here are my two questions:

How many 5S will be at launch day?

How many iPhones can you buy at launch?

twoehr

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
I wonder if the 5c will actually be more profitable for Apple than the 5s? They seem to be pushing it almost more strongly than the flagship...allowing pre-orders, cool cases, etc. Don't know how much the A7 and the fingerprint sensor cost but maybe they actually make the 5s the lower margin phone?

I agree with you. The goal is to maximize profit, not sell the most of the most expensive product (the two are rarely the same). Assuming Apple's profit is equal for both products I could see them allowing the 5c to cannibalize 5s sales. They'll make the same and be able to say the 5c was a success to the doubters.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Klae17...
I understand, but people are not that stupid this day & age. We shall see if it was a 'brilliant' move by the exes to get more $ or if people won't buy the $200 version at all.

DRP52

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
Toronto
Can't Decide!!!

I am stuck with an iPhone 4. Works perfectly, but should I update to the iPhone 5s? You have to take into account that I will be locked in with this plan for 3 years. Last years model with a plastic case is not an option. Your opinions please!!!!!

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I got my daughter a iPhone 5 16GB model a few months ago. (She refused to wait for the new models.)

I know that if we were buying a new phone with the new options, we would be getting the 32GB 5c. She could care less about aluminum unibody construction. She's rather have more space and I suspect would love the color choices.

There is a market for the 5c.

Sorry to those who want an iPhone for $100 off contract. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Assumptions

Apple never said they were producing a lower cost iPhone, the tech media and analysts just assumed that the 5C would be cheap. You all know what they say about making assumptions.

All Apple has done is the same thing they do every iPhone releases... Release an improved top of the line, and bump older models down in price by $100/tier. There's just a small twist this time. They rewrapped the 5 in the 5C shell... for two reasons: 1) to differentiate it from the 5S, since the 5 and 5s look nearly identical, and 2) to appease or appeal to those who would already be prepared to buy the last gen 5 (if it wasn't called the 5C) and give 'em a few color options in the process.

#1 is the main reason. If anything, I think the 5C will sell MORE 5Ss.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I suspect that Apple won't be able to produce enough 5S to satisfy the initial demand because of the new CPU, co-processor and fingerprint reader, each one of them has the potential to have constrained supply.

Hopefully a lot of people having a hard time finding a 5S could end up getting a 5C, something that may have not happened if the alternative was only "last year's iPhone".

So what's your bets on how many iPhones Apple will sell in the first week-end of availability?

They sold 5 million iPhone 5 last year in the 1st w-e. With the 5C which will be easy to mass-produce, the expanded launch around the world and the fact that the iPhone market is still growing, they may be able to sell at least 10 million of them in the first week-end.

kdog0126

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009

Edit: at that price point

It will sell millions...kids and women will love it. And they aren't buying at full price. Most will get on contract for $99. Buying two for my kids...upgrade from iPhone 4

----------

This is a good phone for younger people. A friend of mine is buying a 5c for his 11 year old son. Kid wants 32gigs so he can shoot some video and mess around, but he doesn't need top of the line new phone. Saves the family some upfront money. I believe this phone will be very popular for middle schoolers and high schoolers.

Agreed...!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
except you don't have to pay any extra money to get the flagship model, both have one in the $200 price point.

Cost of entry is what matters. The base model of everything - phones, cars, computers, etc always sells by far the best. There is a lower cost of entry to the 5c than the flagship. The fact that there is also a more expensive 5c changes my prior statement not one bit.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Cost of entry is what matters. The base model of everything - phones, cars, computers, etc always sells by far the best. There is a lower cost of entry to the 5c than the flagship. The fact that there is also a more expensive 5c changes my prior statement not one bit.

Agreed, but the "lower cost of entry" applied to the previous approach of reselling the old flagship at a reduced price. So customers are going to line up and pay the same price differential for the same product as they would have previously, just repackaged in a plastic shell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.