Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
If your SSD has died in your MacBook, Can you please tell us approx how much free available space was your drive, The Size of your Drive, and The brand.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Another good question to ask if they applied the apple firmware update for Toshiba SSDs that came out a few months ago.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
If your SSD has died in your MacBook, Can you please tell us approx how much free available space was your drive, The Size of your Drive, and The brand.

I first started experiencing problems when my 128 TS SSD was nearly full. I trashed some things to make more space, but it still died on me.

----------

Another good question to ask if they applied the apple firmware update for Toshiba SSDs that came out a few months ago.

This update will show up in the App Store updates right? If so I updated, but still had my SSD fail on me.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I first started experiencing problems when my 128 TS SSD was nearly full. I trashed some things to make more space, but it still died on me.

----------

This update will show up in the App Store updates right? If so I updated, but still had my SSD fail on me.

SSD's take a big hit when nearly full, not only are you going to wear them out much faster, but the performance takes a big hit as well.
Even so, a WELL-DESIGNED SSD controller should accommodate for this and not grenade itself like this Toshiba/Sandforce combo

The reason I brought up the SSD update is a poster in another thread insinuated that these failures are from users not applying the firmware update.

tey112

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
SSD failed, I think, at 13 month on my 13" 2012 MBA 128GB, 8GB RAM. I assume it was toshiba, but I can't tell now.

Free space was about 30-40gb, no heavy file transfers or read/writes that I can think of. Filevault was active the entire time I was using the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.