Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
Updated Monday, October 21st

Here are my general thoughts as of this moment. Mainly based of history and current rumors:

Invites: October 15th
Event Date: October 22nd @ 10:00 AM PT

Updates about the business

OS X Mavericks Availability Info
Mac Pro Availability Info
MacBook Pro Haswell Updates
ATV updated with wireless AC
iLife/iWork Updates
iOS 7.1

iPad 5
  • Mini-inspired design
  • A7/X
  • Wireless AC
  • TouchID
  • Camera upgrades
  • New Apple Cases
  • Starting at $499

iPad Mini 2
  • Retina display
  • A7/X
  • Wireless AC
  • TouchID
  • Camera upgrades
  • New Apple Cases
  • Starting at $399

Last edited:

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
you forgot to include os x mavericks final release announcement along with updates to macbook pro, etc.

the event day and time sounds about right. im guessing invites for the event on october 15th then :)

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
you forgot to include os x mavericks final release announcement along with updates to macbook pro, etc.

the event day and time sounds about right. im guessing invites for the event on october 15th then :)

I believe that Mavericks and Haswell updates to the rest of the Mac lines will happen on or the day after the Q4 2013 Quarterly Earnings Call as they have in the past. They may mention these updates during the "Updates about the business" portion of the keynote.

And yes, invites on the 15th.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
just waiting for the loop to come out and confirm there is such an event happening in october and what date..

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Doesn't apple sell more ipad mini then big ipad? Why can't the mini 2 have the Same power as the big ipad. A7 or A7x

The ipad mini is apples second flagship device next to the iphone

Also the big ipad has no competition , the ipad mini does with the new nexus 7

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Doesn't apple sell more ipad mini then big ipad? Why can't the mini 2 have the Same power as the big ipad. A7 or A7x

Cost? They have to have not as good specs as the flagship for that pricing.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011

I second the OP's prediction that the Mini 2 will run on a lesser CPU than the regular iPad. It's very Apple-like - give the more expensive product an edge with simple hardware and software differentiation.

I don't know if the Mini sells more than the regular iPad, but sales don't really equate into this. In Apple's mind the Mini is a "lesser" product, for the simple reason that they placed it at a lower price point. Because of this there will always be hardware differences between the two iPads. They will match the screens in the next iteration (pixel count-wise), but they'll still need other differences to justify the price disparity. I suspect the Mini 2 won't have a 128GB option, for instance.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
just waiting for the loop to come out and confirm there is such an event happening in october and what date..

The reason I chose October 22 is because it was on the 23rd last year following an almost identical date for the iPhone event. Also, that date lines up nicely with the Quarterly Earnings call happening in early October.

If history is a guide, it will be the 22nd.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I think all of them could do with a Touch ID (Apple TV could have it in the remote to rent films from iTunes, or to view rated for adults films).
I hope Apple will put touch ID into all their new devices and will find ways to use it with 3rd party apps without them having direct access to the fingerprint data.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
What about a prediction on iPad color options...do they announce an iPad Mini C with plastic backing? Do they include a gold iPad 5?

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I expect Apple to get back in the iPad dock business, at least i hope it does anyways

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
What about a prediction on iPad color options...do they announce an iPad Mini C with plastic backing? Do they include a gold iPad 5?

They could have the current ipad mini in plastic colors and price it at $229. $100 off like the iphone 5c/s but with a A6 chip

And then have the retina ipad mini at $329 with space grey and white silver plus A7 or A7x plus finger print scanner

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hope you're right about the fingerprint scanner in the iPad! I fear they might just have to hold it back from the iPad if they're having trouble getting enough parts (which is rumor alone). They might then send all available sensors to iPhone 5s production.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

He already did. Not so much confirming the October event and what date, but by saying new iPads wouldn't come at the iPhone event. But we all know that October isn't going to come and pass without new iPads.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
That's the most reasonable predictions I've seen so far :D

I'd also predict the iPad 5 will starts at 32GB then 64GB and 128GB. I make no sense for them to make the 16GB as there will be 4 models, that's too many I reckon. Unless they're dropping the 16GB price but I don't see that happen.

Regarding the AC wireless, I'm not too sure about that because the 5s doesn't have an AC Wifi. I also don't see the benefit of having AC on the iPad at this stage.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
iPad 5
  • Mini-inspired design
  • A7
  • Wireless AC
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • Camera upgrades
  • New Apple Cases ($39)
  • Starting at $499

Why would the iPad 5 not get the A7X? Pretty sure that's what it'll come with. They've always released the iPad with the X version of the iPhone's current chip (I think the X just means clocked higher anyway). And the mini would have the A6 or A7 for battery life, since it's battery is much smaller than the iPad 4's. The only reason it has good battery life right now is because it doesn't have retina. Also the A6 is not fast enough to handle a retina iPad, so it's more likely to be the A7 imo.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
Why would the iPad 5 not get the A7X? Pretty sure that's what it'll come with. They've always released the iPad with the X version of the iPhone's current chip (I think the X just means clocked higher anyway). And the mini would have the A6 or A7 for battery life, since it's battery is much smaller than the iPad 4's. The only reason it has good battery life right now is because it doesn't have retina. Also the A6 is not fast enough to handle a retina iPad, so it's more likely to be the A7 imo.

I don't disagree. I just forgot the X. I'll add it. :)

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Sounds good!
I also hope the big iPad starts at 32GB for $499 and goes on to 64GB for $599, etc. (Well, actually I wish for even cheaper, but I'm trying to be a little realistic.)

Apple TV
[*] SDK/App Store

This seems unlikely to me just because why now? It's been an obvious move for years but Apple hasn't done it. I don't see what's changed that would change their minds. I think Apple wants people to get apps on TVs using an iPad or iPhone app with airplay?

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
This seems unlikely to me just because why now? It's been an obvious move for years but Apple hasn't done it. I don't see what's changed that would change their minds. I think Apple wants people to get apps on TVs using an iPad or iPhone app with airplay?

Good question, and by far the riskiest thing I predicted.

At this point I feel something has to happen. I'm not sure what, but they need to make a move. This one was more wishful thinking than having any real proof or indication that it might happen.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
That's the most reasonable predictions I've seen so far :D

I'd also predict the iPad 5 will starts at 32GB then 64GB and 128GB. I make no sense for them to make the 16GB as there will be 4 models, that's too many I reckon. Unless they're dropping the 16GB price but I don't see that happen.

Regarding the AC wireless, I'm not too sure about that because the 5s doesn't have an AC Wifi. I also don't see the benefit of having AC on the iPad at this stage.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

They wont do that just because they don't have to they can get away with it,

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
I'd also predict the iPad 5 will start at 32GB then 64GB and 128GB. I make no sense for them to make the 16GB as there will be 4 models, that's too many I reckon. Unless they're dropping the 16GB price but I don't see that happen.

I just don't see this happening. Maybe if there wasn't a redesigned form factor I might agree. If the iPad 5 comes with Touch ID I'd say the price/size stays the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.