Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile has announced its pricing for Apple's new iPhones, offering the iPhone 5c with no down payment and the iPhone 5s for a $99 down payment.

The 16GB iPhone 5c will require 24 monthly payments of $22 per month for a total device cost of $528, while the 16GB iPhone 5s will require 24 monthly payments of $22.91 for a total device cost of $648.84.

iphone_5s_5c.jpg
While the iPhone 5s pricing is inline with the price of an unsubsidized device directly from Apple, the iPhone 5c from T-Mobile offers a slight discount of $20 off of the standard $549 price of the phone.

As with other carriers, T-Mobile will begin offering pre-orders for the iPhone 5c on Friday, September 13 at 12:01 AM PT. The iPhone 5s, which will not be available for pre-order, can be purchased from T-Mobile on September 20.

Article Link: T-Mobile Offering iPhone 5c for $0 Down, iPhone 5s for $99 Down

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Is this only in the tmobile store or also in the Apple stores?

isepic

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
they didn't before...

Apple only sold them as fully unlocked for the T-Mobile (unsubsidized) they didn't do the Jump prices at all at apple.com or in apple store (ONLY at T-Mobile store - even retailers like Costco and Target, etc. still sell contracts on T-Mobile!)

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
bye bye Verizon

I can't wait to leave Verizon. I'm lucky enough to live in a very strong cell area (Dallas, TX) so any carrier is an viable option. T-Mobiles new family plans will save me $100 a month, and that's not counting the benefit of either keeping the phone past the 22 month mark and paying even less or being able to upgrade whenever I damn well feel like it.

I hope T-Mobile's plans are successful enough to get the rest of America off the subsidized model.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
yup the 5c will do well... all those subs with plans that up for renewal and that don't really care much about which type of smartphone they get as long as it's "free", now can get a 'new' iphone.

hbman122

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
No, it is the opposite. In the past with contracts i could upgrade 18 months in and get out of paying that last 6 months worth where now i can't. You are paying more.
To get on a 24 month contract and pay only £100 for the down payment, you would have to pay at least £35 or more a month. (on a brand new phone that is)

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
it's only around $20 cheaper

Erm but you're also getting the minutes/data/texts so it's way cheaper.

I find this incredibly cheap to be honest. I got my iPhone 5 a few weeks after launch for £99 (so say $165) on a £36 per month contract (say $50) and that's a fairly standard pricing here.

Seriously if that's normal over there then count yourselves very lucky.

hbman122

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Erm but you're also getting the minutes/data/texts so it's way cheaper.

I find this incredibly cheap to be honest. I got my iPhone 5 a few weeks after launch for £99 (so say $165) on a £36 per month contract (say $50) and that's a fairly standard pricing here.

Seriously if that's normal over there then count yourselves very lucky.
Thought so!

mainmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
I think those of you foreign to the US misunderstand what the monthly price is for. That is not the monthly contract for phone service, that is simply the payment plan for the phone purchase. You pay $60 / month for 2.5GB data, unlimited talk & text, AND you pay $22-23 / month for the first 24 months to pay off the phone. $82 / month.

Unlike other carriers you can at least switch before 2 years by paying off the remainder of the phone payments.

hbman122

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
I think those of you foreign to the US misunderstand what the monthly price is for. That is not the monthly contract for phone service, that is simply the payment plan for the phone purchase. You pay $60 / month for 2.5GB data, unlimited talk & text, AND you pay $22-23 / month for the first 24 months to pay off the phone. $82 / month.

Unlike other carriers you can at least switch before 2 years by paying off the remainder of the phone payments.
ohhhh i see. So its the same price but just spread over the contract time.

Last edited:

u6crash

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2007
DeKalb, IL
This is the route I'm thinking of going. I have never owned a smartphone and if I can negotiate a raise at work I think I might give it a try. I like that TMobile doesn't have a contract and it seems like their plans are a little more affordable than other carriers. What would be really great is if I had the ability to pay off the phone early should I feel I want to move to another provider. I'll have to inquire about that.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Ah.. now I understand the strategy behind iPhone 5c.

This year's iPhone... free.. Millions of T-Mobile feature phone customers will jump on this deal.

Sounds psychologically much better than a free two year old phone. I got that for the kids. This deal is for me. That is the difference.

This 5c is going to fly off the shelves

MRSucks

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2013
I want to JUMP and leave one / 2 part of duopoly. I want the unlocked 5s on T-Mo now (okay, as soon as it is available).

Does T-Mobile accept trade-ins for iPhone 5 so I can payoff ETF for my current carrier? Or would T-Mo help me with cost to finally get out of my current contract with my sucky & greedy carrier?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.