Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a lengthy beta period, Apple today released the final version of OS X 10.8.5 (build 12F37) after seeding the ninth beta, build 12F36, to developers last week. The update, which can be accessed via the Mac App Store, includes fixes for Mail, AFP file transfer performance, screen savers, and Xsan.

10.8.5.jpg
-The OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5 Update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users. It improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac. This update:

- Fixes an issue that may prevent Mail from displaying messages
- Improves AFP file transfer performance over 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Resolves an issue that may prevent a screen saver from starting automatically
- Improves Xsan reliability
- Improves reliability when transferring large files over Ethernet
- Improves performance when authenticating to an Open Directory server
- Addresses an issue that prevented a smart card from unlocking preference panes in System Preferences
- Contains the improvements included in MacBook Air (Mid 2013) Software Update 1.0
- OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (273.72 MB)
- OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo) (831.13 MB)

Alongside OS X 10.8.5, Apple has also released security updates for OS X Lion and Snow Leopard:

- Security Update 2013-004 (Lion) (113.23 MB)
- Security Update 2013-004 Server (Lion) (161.17 MB)

- Security Update 2013-004 (Snow Leopard) (331.5 MB)
- Security Update 2013-004 Server (Snow Leopard) (406.49 MB)

The update also includes Safari version 5.1.10 for OS X Snow Leopard (48.40 MB), which contains security fixes and is recommended for all Snow Leopard users.

Apple is also working on the next version of OS X, Mavericks, which is expected to debut in the fall. Mavericks includes multiple new features like a tabbed Finder, full screen dual monitor capabilities, Safari improvements, and new apps for both Maps and iBooks. Apple has thus far released seven Developer Previews of the new operating system.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X 10.8.5 With Mail Fix, Improvements to AFP File Transfer Performance

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
To be honest, thinking about not updating anymore because Mavericks is here in a few weeks anyway... (info that changed your life, I know.)

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
WOW! You are the first person that I know that is having the same issue. I rarely get that, but when I do it is very annoying.

No, you're not alone. I've had it occur sporadically with Safari where the pointer would disappear but any mouse-over triggers on the webpage would be actioned when the invisible pointer tracked over it.

mihirkamat

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
NJ
Disappearing cursor

You know, I think it has to do with a safari plug in -- I often get it with the pdf display plug in, and sometimes with flash.

George Zip

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
I didn't know Apple still made computers or software for them.

< /sarcastic s.o.b. buffering sarcasm due to wait on new MBP >

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Uneventful as usual. Don't notice any changes, but wasn't having any issues.

Still trying to resist installing the Mavericks until it's fully baked ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.