Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I was thinking about upgrading my 16gb ip5 for a 32gb ip5s. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can set it up to press the home button and swipe to open like before??? I am so used to that I don't think I want to change to a finger print that you have to press at h same angle every time. I don't use a PIN to lock my phone either so security means little to me.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
You don't have to press it at the same angle, it works at any angle.

But if my phone is sitting on my desk a lot of times I press and swipe with my pointer finger instead of my thumb like if I'm holding it.....

-iKris-

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
England
But if my phone is sitting on my desk a lot of times I press and swipe with my pointer finger instead of my thumb like if I'm holding it.....

You sound like you want to find a reason not to use it, and so far you haven't found a good one. But since you'll be able to turn it off it doesn't really matter. Try it and if you don't like it go back to slide to unlock.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Since you don't care about security that much, just use the phone as before. If by chance you want to use the fingerprint function, in order to set it up, you first should enter a passcode (In case fingerprint reader does not work and you need to get in), than set up the fingerprint security right after.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Of course you don't have to use it. It's just one more security option. You may use the scanner, a 4 digit code, a full password, or nothing at all.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
What if I just want to press the homebutton to see the notifications on the lockscreen, will it instantly unlock the phone instead?

Iphoneness

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina

-iKris-

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
England
And just to confirm, you don't have to press the button, right? Just a touch? I'm only asking because a lot of hands on videos have got people accidentally activating Siri when they try to unlock it.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
You sound like you want to find a reason not to use it, and so far you haven't found a good one. But since you'll be able to turn it off it doesn't really matter. Try it and if you don't like it go back to slide to unlock.

Don't get me wrong guys I'm not bitching about it. I think it's a cool idea. I was just wondering so I asked the question. Seems like a good thread because others may be thinking the same thing and haven't asked. Thanks guys!

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
That's good. How about when double pressing the home button to get music controls? Seems like that may be enough the get a read

Don't forget control centre works from the lock screen so just swipe up; no need for a double tap.

----------

And just to confirm, you don't have to press the button, right? Just a touch? I'm only asking because a lot of hands on videos have got people accidentally activating Siri when they try to unlock it.

Not sure how it works with Siri, but Apple described it as a capacitive touch button which means its touch sensitive rather than clickable.

Iphoneness

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
Don't get me wrong guys I'm not bitching about it. I think it's a cool idea. I was just wondering so I asked the question. Seems like a good thread because others may be thinking the same thing and haven't asked. Thanks guys!

Sorry man, didn't mean to sound like a dbag, haha.
Anyways, I'm sure they've done thorough testing with all of our concerns, just like the question you asked and it'll be a great experience for us all!

----------

Don't forget control centre works from the lock screen so just swipe up; no need for a double tap.

----------

Not sure how it works with Siri, but Apple described it as a capacitive touch button which means its touch sensitive rather than clickable.

I didn't know it wasn't an actual physical button anymore. That's cool!

-iKris-

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
England
I guess the moment you click the home button (once for Siri or twice for music controls) it just bypasses the scanner...

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Do i have to? No, but it's a welcome addition since it's adding towards security

I keep reading people saying things like this, but I just don't understand why.

To use a fingerprint reader, you need a passcode (or password) because:

a) There's a chance that it will sometimes be unable to read the fingerprint properly.

b) The passcode may be used to derive an encryption key that is needed to secure the data on the device

Given that the option to bypass the fingerprint reader is always going to be there, we're back to a passcode (or password) as we have now, and therefore there's absolutely no change in terms of "security".

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Sorry man, didn't mean to sound like a dbag, haha.
Anyways, I'm sure they've done thorough testing with all of our concerns, just like the question you asked and it'll be a great experience for us all!

It's all good bud! And yes I've been telling myself the same thing that I'm sure apple got it right. (Hopefully no "antennagate")

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

a) There's a chance that it will sometimes be unable to read the fingerprint properly.

b) The passcode may be used to derive an encryption key that is needed to secure the data on the device

Given that the option to bypass the fingerprint reader is always going to be there, we're back to a passcode (or password) as we have now, and therefore there's absolutely no change in terms of "security".

There's a slight change actually; if someone sees you enter your pass code they can get in, but they can't get in if they see you enter your fingerprint.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

But instead of the usual simple 4 digit password most use, the back up password for the scanner can be a complicated alphanumeric code as it won't be the normal way in.

Brenz

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012

From what I understand you have to press the button down and allow it back up like you would to wake your phone normally and then hold your finger there to be read.

As you see in this video http://youtu.be/9-ppMRFcDWk?t=3m48s the guy initially just touches his finger to the scanner but that won't activate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.