Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeM87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
UK
Hi,

I've recently had to pass my 3rd generation iPad 3 onto another family member and now I'm thinking of purchasing an iPad mini.

My first question is will I notice any performance changes? I generally use the iPad for Spotify, Facebook, Twitter and browsing the net.

Also I know the iPad Mini lacks the retina display. I understand we are quite close to the refresh for the next gen iPad Mini. I was hoping it would be announced this week however, I don't think that this is likely to happen this week.

I prefer the idea of the mini as its more portable for travelling And also its more affordable. I don't feel I use the iPad enough to warrant spending £400+ on one whereas £369 with cellular too isn't as bad.

Also how's the battery in comparison to the 3rd and 4th generation of the iPad.

So with all this said do you guys think it would be best to wait a little or purchase the current iPad Mini.

Thanks for any input!

Mike.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
We have a mini and a 3 in the same house. If you go back and forth, you will see a difference in the screen. The mini looks like a screen and retina looks like, well, glass. The mini is faster to recharge and runs longer and it doesn't get hot playing gamed/video. The only neg for me is I wish the mini had more ram, seems like 1gb isn't enough for my uses.

I'm waiting to see the weight and runtime on the retina mini, but you can't go wrong either way. Btw, the back finish is tough, looks to be HA (type iii).

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Wait and see what the mini 2 brings. I have the first gen and the screen is a step down, text is fuzzy and if you're used to retina - it will bug you. Even if the mini 2 DOESN'T have a retina display, more ram / updated processor / updated camera would all be worth waiting for.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I've been very satisfied with my Mini. I had the iPad1 for a very short time; didn't like the pixelly screen and the performance was blah.

Now the Mini has the same resolution but the difference is that it is in a smaller size, therefore denser pixel setup, effectively 'not pixelly'.

I agree it could use a tiny bit more RAM.

Check my sig line for a rather in-depth review of the Mini.

_

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Try and pick up a second hand mini. I got one off Gumtree in mint condition for £180. Mini compares fine against the 3 for performance. You will notice the screen difference but most likely adapt pretty quickly. The biggest issue with the mini in comparison with the 3 is lack of RAM. If you are a heavy web browser, expect to be waiting on tabs etc. to load due to half the RAM.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Background: I have both an iPad Mini and iPad 3. I've used the iPad 3 for school-related things and home use (web browsing, gaming). I use the iPad Mini for work (web browsing, note-taking, referencing).

My first question is will I notice any performance changes? I generally use the iPad for Spotify, Facebook, Twitter and browsing the net.
Subjectively, I'd say that there's no difference.

Also I know the iPad Mini lacks the retina display. I understand we are quite close to the refresh for the next gen iPad Mini. I was hoping it would be announced this week however, I don't think that this is likely to happen this week.
iPad-related announcements tend to happen in October, with an expected release in either late October or November. There's no guarantee that the next Mini will have a retina display, but if you can afford to wait a few months then you might as well. Even if there's no retina display and the new hardware doesn't appeal to you, prices on the first-generation Mini will likely drop.

The screen on the iPad Mini sits between the iPad 2 and retina iPads in pixel density, and it's noticeable. Whereas the iPad 2 screens are almost painful to look at, the Mini's lack of retina is noticeable but doesn't drive me crazy. If the second-generation Mini has a retina display then I will be upgrading, though, as I suspect it'll make it easier for me to read my chicken-scratch notes :)

My verdict on the screen is that it isn't a deal-breaker even if you're used to retina displays... unless you're used to holding it really close to your eyes, I suppose.

Also how's the battery in comparison to the 3rd and 4th generation of the iPad.
That depends on your usage. Since I use my iPad 3 and Mini for different things I can't really compare them directly. What I can say is that the Mini lasts for quite a while. Even on my longest days (~12 hours, of which the Mini's screen is on and in use for anywhere from 6-10 hours) I never saw the battery percentage drop below 40%. On most days I wouldn't drop below 50%.

So with all this said do you guys think it would be best to wait a little or purchase the current iPad Mini.
If you really need it now, then get it now. If you can wait about a month for a likely announcement from Apple over what's coming, and then possibly a few weeks beyond that to actually get it in your hands, then wait.

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
idk I have a mini for a few months now, it was cool at first but it is really limited, i miss the power of the ipad 4. Spider man ran really smoothly on it without lag. Game crashes on the mini.

wellingtonwimpy

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
I have a now-ancient iPad 2 and would like to replace it with a mini, but won't do so until they add retina. If I'm going to pay $300+ for a device that is designed to be stared at, I want the resolution to be at least as good as the going standard. The current mini falls short of even most new Android tablets in that regard. Especially if you're used to an iPad 3, you will absolutely notice the difference.

As others have said, a retina display will almost certainly make the device heavier, so those are the factors you have to weigh.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I do love my mini for many reasons but I do wish it had a better display. I don't notice any performance differences between it and my 3rd gen retina, however I would hold off until October for the newest model to be announced.

Donki

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
I got the Mini in July and love it, I have a long commute to work and can tell you its an absolute joy handling wise compared to a full sized iPad. dont let people put you off by the screen it is nowhere near as bad as soem people make out, no its not retina but its perfectly good for the screen size IMO. The mini is simply made to be on the move, light, brilliant on battery life and nippy through all the applications I have tried. Dont get bogged down on specs, especially against andriod tabs as its totally irrelivant IMO. Get yourself into a store and have a play around. I use my Mini even when I am home and my iPad 3 grts left in the study on most occasions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.