Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I ask specifically about the iPhone 4S because it's the one I am looking forward to upgrade. Any downgrades in performance from previous OSes and/or new features that originally weren't coming to the 4S that ended making the cut? Read somewhere on this forum that filters on the camera app were included on this device, even after iOS 7 page, said it was exclusive for iPhone 5 and later devices. Also someone over on the comments section in 9to5Mac was saying that airdrop showed up but he/she could just be dissing at this point. Please share your findings! :D

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
4S working fine.
fast fluid and better battery life for me
i did clean install - i started as a new phone - my old profile was carried forward all the way back from iOS 3 and had a lot of junk on it. Figured iOS 7 would be a good time to reset.

the only thing i dont like is the animations - not hardware lag...but; for example...unlock the phone, and you have to wait for the animation to complete finish before you can swipe.
not the case in iOS 6

Last edited:

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Pretty good here. Takes a little getting used to. A couple of little glitches evident, but polishable in a rapid .01 release.

The main problem this week will be inconsistent/un-updated 3rd-party apps, I think.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
It is running pretty well on my 4S (64GB). I went from 6.1.3 and just did an update to the 7 GM (I have Windows and don't have access to iTunes 11.1 to do a restore. I have issues with some apps crashing, but hopefully that will be fixed when they submit updated for iOS 7.

Battery drain seems to be more than usual, but then again I have been playing with it a lot more since I haven't used iOS 7 before during the beta.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
It's working out pretty well.
It's fast and fluid - really loving it!
Animations could be a bit quicker, but its probably just the hardware now.

RokkenRock

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
It's working fine. It's running smoothly with a bit of lag in some cases, although that was expected with its two-year-old hardware. I haven't experienced any crash so far, and fingers crossed it continues to work like that. I don't see any decrease in battery life yet. It went down around 40% of battery life with occasional usage in 5 hours.

oklahoma258

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Norman, OK
I have the GM on my Sprint iPhone 4S. It is working fabulously right now (fast and great battery life). But I am having one problem. My messages app have 1 badge icon at all times even if I do not have a message in there.. IT WILL NOT GO AWAY! Anyone else having this problem??

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Everybody thanks for sharing your experiences. It's a little concerning to me that it seems to be no consensus concerning the performance of iOS 7 on the iPhone 4S. Could there be a reason for that? Sorry for the weird question, what can I say, I'm a n00b when it comes to iOS devices so I can't wrap my head around the potential issue affecting iPhones when the only change is the storage capacity for any given specific model between units. :confused:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Everybody thanks for sharing your experiences. It's a little concerning to me that it seems to be no consensus concerning the performance of iOS 7 on the iPhone 4S. Could there be a reason for that? Sorry for the weird question, what can I say, I'm a n00b when it comes to iOS devices so I can't wrap my head around the potential issue affecting iPhones when the only change is the storage capacity for any given specific model between units. :confused:

I think the consensus is that iOS 7 runs perfectly fine on the 4S.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
A bit laggy :) the previous version Beta 6 was better

and.... I get never full bar :eek:

Bildschirmfoto%202013-09-11%20um%2023.41.17.png

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
It's working out pretty well.
It's fast and fluid - really loving it!
Animations could be a bit quicker, but its probably just the hardware now.

The speed of the animations has nothing to do with the hardware, they're a preset stock speed on all devices. These "transitions" are the same on my 4S as my iPad 4th Gen. The hardware affects the performance of the animations, ie: stuttering frames, etc. The 4S runs all transitions super smooth, I'm delighted with the performance.

FakeClockUp will be even more popular when we finally see a jailbreak for iOS 7.

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Clean install, just fine. As for the animations, the animations themselves are longer/slower/consist of more frames than they did in precious versions of iOS, so while it does feel more "fluid" and "flowy" it does slow your overall speed of interacting with your device down. It is NOT a hardware issue, but just how they designed the UI.

You don't have AirDrop. You DO have live filters.

I just miss my jailbreak, haha.

zerrisk

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
I did a clean install, everything is working smoothly except anything relating to the keyboard. Messages, and email is extremely laggy for me. Any tips?

Msmyser

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Peoria, Arizona, U.S.A.
A bit laggy :) the previous version Beta 6 was better

and.... I get never full bar :eek:

I find that the GM is much better than the previous Beta 6. The animations are perfectly crisp, the new sounds are great, and now none of my apps crash. It also appears that my battery life has improved, however I cannot be totally sure. But overall, great enhancements from Beta 6 to GM.

eh270

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
All clear here on my 32 GB 4S, installed it on Wednesday and haven't had any issues, other than a few apps not launching most likely because they aren't ios 7 ready (e.g. google translate)

zerrisk

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
I'm noticing extreme FPS problems with Messages, Mail and going from portrait to landscape mode, along with clearing my notif. center from something like Insta. notifications.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Crash, crash, crash, battery drain, crash, crash.

To be fair, I didn't do a restore and just upgraded. Also, my battery was hardly a pillar of strength before. But the Washington Post app crashed on me three times in a minute earlier today.

But I am more impressed with the OS about a day later. iTunes Radio is kind of like a merging of Pandora and iTunes. I love the new control center (is that the name?) that allows me MUCH QUICKER access to Bluetooth, WiFi and flashlight on/off.

I'm also digging the redesign a little bit more, but it would help if more third-party apps redesigned theirs to fit the scheme.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Clean install, just fine. As for the animations, the animations themselves are longer/slower/consist of more frames than they did in precious versions of iOS, so while it does feel more "fluid" and "flowy" it does slow your overall speed of interacting with your device down. It is NOT a hardware issue, but just how they designed the UI.

You don't have AirDrop. You DO have live filters.

I just miss my jailbreak, haha.

So the ONLY thing that the 4s lacks with ios7 is airdrop?

Beast388

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
On the Mighty Mississippi!
IOS7 GM is running well on my 32GB 4S. I have noticed a few apps take a split second longer to load now compared to beta 6, but I imagine that will be resolved once the apps are optimized for IOS7.

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
So the ONLY thing that the 4s lacks with ios7 is airdrop?

To my knowledge, yes. But then again I don't have a 5, so there could be things I don't know about. One thing I noticed in the marketing images of the 5S was more translucency in the Dock and better contrast around the icons there. On the 4S, at least, the default (and nearly all of the stock) wallpaper makes the dock go into a nearly sold block of aquamarine with a very hard to distinguish translucent Gaussian blur of the background. To me, it's a mess and I'm shocked Apple thought that was okay. Perhaps it looks better with better blending on 5 and 5S. Dunno.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.