Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside its iPhone media event earlier this week, Apple quietly introduced new "space gray" versions of its iPod touch, iPod nano, and iPod shuffle, replacing the black models of those devices with the new color.

Australian Ben Pasternak has now posted a brief video offering a first look at the new color option for the iPod nano. The video shows the front and rear of the device, with the anodized color of the device appearing lighter than the outgoing "Black/Slate" option. The anodized matte finish also helps minimize fingerprints that can be highly visible on more reflective surfaces seen in some of Apple's other products.

Earlier this week, Apple announced that the new iPhone 5s would also be sporting the new Space Gray color, similarly replacing the black/slate color offered on the iPhone 5. All of the iPod models with the new color option are currently available, with the iPhone 5s set to go on sale next Friday, September 20.

Article Link: Apple's New 'Space Gray' iPod Nano Shown in Brief Video

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Sounds like no new iPods this year. Or they would have waited until the spec updates to introduce the new color.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Hard to judge this on a video, probably have to be seen in person to get a feel for it.

Perhaps a good idea would have been to show it side by side with the slate iPhone 5 as a reference?

Anyhow, pretty cool video.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
*sigh* removing the best color option makes little sense.

Curious if a redesign will fix the odd border issue this model has.

Last edited:

MA-86

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
Absolutely love this new color! Hope it finds its way on other Apple products besides iphone and ipod!

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
*sigh* removing the best color option makes little sense.

Curious if a redesign will fix the odd border issue this model has.

What is the border issue?

I'll also second this question:
Is there a photo of the slate 5 next to a space grey 5s anywhere?

Last edited:

technano11

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Not very pleased with apple removing black/slate.. Not sure if I should grab hold of remaining black/slate iPod nano from my local retailers

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
i guessed i missed the part where the back was shown...seemed more side shots.

OK, nevermind...o see it now. wasn't too much of a good color shot.

toneLA

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
Beverly Hills, CA
I seriously hope they keep black/slate for the iPad mini. I returned an iPad mini anticipating the retina mini to come out soon and I wouldn't buy it in any other color. The black/slate is my favorite. It has a blue-ish hue to it that makes it really good looking.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
This should make the scratches much less apparent on all the upcoming products, and in my opinion still looks great.

Somewhat off topic, but the voice on the video makes me feel ooold. :(

FooMan2011

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Could it be data enabled? Looks like it has the same black antenna cover as the iPad... Just an observation.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Looks a similar colour to the new Mac Pro. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come. Personally I much prefer the piano black of the iPhone 4S.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I just wish they would upgrade the storage for those things. My old nano is packed with songs and its battery is dying. I need at least 32 gig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.