Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
I wanted to ask something as it's driving me crazy. Since being on the iOS 7 beta (the day before b2 came out) my sleep button started acting weird. Too often it doesn't react when I press the sleep button, so I can't lock it or turn it off. Now it's happening almost all of the time.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is this related to the iOS 7 beta software or is it my hardware button which needs repair?

PS: It's an iPhone 5.

Last edited:

Will2145

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I wanted to ask something as it's driving me crazy. Since being on the iOS 7 beta (the day before b2 came out) my sleep button started acting weird. Too often it doesn't react when I press the sleep button, so I can't lock it or turn it off. Now it's happening almost all of the time.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is this related to the iOS 7 beta software or is it my hardware button which needs repair?

have not experienced this on my iphone 5

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012

When I lock my iPhone 5 there is a certain lag before i hear the lock sound. I presume it is only after hearing the lock sound when you click the lock button again then the screen will light up.

This effect is even more pronounced in my older iOSdevices like the 4S and especially the 4.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Most often mine isn't reacting at all and it's an iPhone 5 on iOS 7.

One way to find out is to put ur phone back to iOS 6 and test if the power button is still working. But personally I feel most likely the issue is with the hardware, not the software.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
The iPhone 5 is notorious for the sleep/wake button failing. It will start happening every so often but if left it will become virtually unusable over time.

I had to have my iPhone 5 replaced at the Apple store.

If you do a search on the iPhone forum for this you will find its happened to a lot of people with an iPhone 5.

With a beta version of iOS on your device I would imagine you will need to roll back to iOS6 (if that is possible?) or wait for iOS7 to come out before returning your phone.

Trust me though, its the button.

ski1ski1

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
It's iOS 7. I'm having issues on my iPhone 5 ever since iOS 7. I rolled it back to iOS 6 to verify. No issue under iOS 6. I'm back to iOS 7 and just waiting for the software fix.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I'm on my third iPhone 5. The second one I had, had a defective lock button.

Get it replaced.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I'm not on iOS7 but did recently have my iPhone 5 replaced due to a faulty sleep/wake button. The button would respond intermittently and only on the left side of the button.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
The iPhone 5 is notorious for the sleep/wake button failing. It will start happening every so often but if left it will become virtually unusable over time.

I had to have my iPhone 5 replaced at the Apple store.

If you do a search on the iPhone forum for this you will find its happened to a lot of people with an iPhone 5....
OP: It's hardware. After about 2 months this happened on mine. Try pushing on one side of it, for me, the left side worked all the time, press in the middle it was inconsistent, press on right, nothing. I took it to Apple store when I could (mine isn't close), they replaced it, and the replacement has been fine for 9 months now.

howi

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Folks,

I can understand if it is just one button, it could be the faulty hardware. But in the cases with BOTH power/sleep AND home buttons, then it is more than a co-incident :confused:

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA

I had this problem with my iPhone 5. It's a known issue, I went to the Apple store and they swapped it out.

Peruvian

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
U.K.
I'm not on iOS7 but did recently have my iPhone 5 replaced due to a faulty sleep/wake button. The button would respond intermittently and only on the left side of the button.

Very interesting thread as this problem just happened to me 2 days ago and my warranty expires in 10 days. Got a genius bar appointment, hopefully it will get replaced...

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
same thing happened to me, I've got a genius bar appt Wednesday to get it fixed (don't feel like rolling back to iOS6)

It only works if you press it on the very left edge. Pretty annoying.

ezhilk

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Michigan
I am facing this on my iphone 5 with ios 7 now. I am positive it wasn't there until last week when I had 6, else I would've probably noticed this if it had been an hardware issue. Its kinda annoying...

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I've had this problem with my iPhone 5 with iOS 6 and now iOS 7. Have a Genius Bar appoint tomorrow to hopefully get it replaced. Unfortunately, my Wrapsol skin probably won't stick well to the new phone as it' been on the old phone for nearly a year. :mad:

Hollow Man

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Connecticut
Same problem here. I was originally thinking it was hardware, but now I'm not sure. It started soon after I upgraded to iOS 7. It's pretty erratic.

-HM

Danno21

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Same with me. Things were 100% fine when I was on iOS 6 and never had this problem before. Updated to iOS 7 and the minute I did, my sleep button started taking multiple times of clicking to wake/sleep my phone.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Mine started before upgrade to iOS 7. Then got worse after upgrade to ios7. Apple replaced my iPhone 5, no questions asked. New phone works flawlessly.

Take it on for replacement.

MannyC

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
This happened to my phone and my wife's phone long before iOS 7. Get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.