Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Anyone else homescreen has lags?

This was a problem in beta... I refuse to believe the iPhone 4 can't handle a homescreen...

I am going to assume it is buggy, and will be easily fixed

I can't reproduce any sort of lag trying your test. I left the clock out as its own icon and swiped between home screens and then also put the clock in the 'extras' folder and swiped between screens. No discernible difference for me.

Last edited:

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I said it before and I'm gonna say it again, you people have vision problems. IOS 6 on iphone 4 in butter, ir is 98% like the iphone 5 in terms of animations.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
This is my iPod touch 5G running the GM version. Since both the iPod and iPhone 4 have 512 MB of ram I wanted to see if it's improved because I have a lot of inactive memory.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 198

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Keeping my eye on this thread!

So what should we expect to miss out on with our iPhone 4 iOS 7 release? Any major differences between our supposed slim version and the higher spec'd iOS iteration?

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Keeping my eye on this thread!

So what should we expect to miss out on with our iPhone 4 iOS 7 release? Any major differences between our supposed slim version and the higher spec'd iOS iteration?

Feel free to peruse this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1594030/

You can get a gist of what we're missing. Mainly parallax, frosted/blurred effects, and animations.

Last edited:

ad931

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Athens, Greece
i've been using ios7 since the first beta & each one has been a considerable improvement over the previous one (beta 3 I used for a few hours then went back to 6.1.3, the phone was un-useable!) From beta4 onwards, the phone was useable on a day to day basis albeit with a glitch here and there but nothing serious.

Been on GM since day one, hand on heart, the phone is PERFECT! i cannot fault it anywhere, or write here one single operational complaint simply because I don't have any! the phone is faster than ios6, battery is better, no lag, no crashed apps, NOTHING, ZILCH!

Yes I agree that having an iPhone 4 means that I lose out on some of the new ios7 features but to be honest, it doesn't bother me at all.

I was thinking about getting a 5S but now after GM i'm not so sure especially bearing in mind that my 4 is in brand new condition!

What I am happy / thankful / grateful for is that once again Apple has supported & updated its "older" devices with a brand new operating system on an annual basis and FREE OF CHARGE, other companies please take note!

You don't build a solid & long term customer base by "shutting" out customers!

WELL DONE APPLE!

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
That's quite an endorsement!

i've been using ios7 since the first beta & each one has been a considerable improvement over the previous one (beta 3 I used for a few hours then went back to 6.1.3, the phone was un-useable!) From beta4 onwards, the phone was useable on a day to day basis albeit with a glitch here and there but nothing serious.

Been on GM since day one, hand on heart, the phone is PERFECT! i cannot fault it anywhere, or write here one single operational complaint simply because I don't have any! the phone is faster than ios6, battery is better, no lag, no crashed apps, NOTHING, ZILCH!

Yes I agree that having an iPhone 4 means that I lose out on some of the new ios7 features but to be honest, it doesn't bother me at all.

I was thinking about getting a 5S but now after GM i'm not so sure especially bearing in mind that my 4 is in brand new condition!

What I am happy / thankful / grateful for is that once again Apple has supported & updated its "older" devices with a brand new operating system on an annual basis and FREE OF CHARGE, other companies please take note!

WELL DONE APPLE!

ad931

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Athens, Greece
I stand by every word. I am a long time Apple fan but that doesn't make me "blind" to Apple's errors / faults (of which it has numerous...) within the boundaries of logic & common sense.

example... miffed that my as new & fully operational 2004 iBook G4 PowerPC isn't compatible with "modern" Apple services like iCloud, iTunes11 etc, when a 2004 Windows PC is compatible with iTunes 11!!!!!:confused: & that Safari (which is Apple's own product FFS) crashes continuously on my iBook & I have to resort to using Firefox...

I think Apple should bring out an "update bundle" to make older Mac's compatible with their newer services & of course, they should charge for it & would be more than happy to pay for it.

I have a 2013 Mac mini but I like using the iBook because it still works!

one sometimes feels unhappy about "throwing" away perfectly good equipment due to software...

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
ad931, I'm glad it's working for you. When you wake the phone from standby does it respond instantly? When you type text into Safari's search bar, is there no lag at all?

I'm intrigued if the above are not an issue on your iPhone 4.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
If i use high resolution wallpapers on the iphone 4, which have done that are not optimised for the resolution of the phone I noticed quite a bit of lag. Since i stopped doing that after the re-install, the phone responds much snappier. :)

dimdom

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
My iphone 4 was lagging a lot when I installed ios 7 gm on it (update from beta 6). I was quite disappointed. Of course I was never expecting it to be like ios 6 but close. Anyways, I then reset my settings and most of the lags were gone.

The more I use it the more it feels less laggy now. I don't know how.

I think it's close to ios 6 now, not as buttery smooth but not annoying either, so I am satisfied.

Don't expect it to be like ios 6, it's bound to be slower.

Safari feels much snappier than ios 6 which is a surprise, multitasking is fast and once the apps are initially opened they function faster. That's my experience so far.

I think upcoming updates will make it even better. The 3d party apps are slow at the moment, they need updating to ios 7 for sure.

Another thing I noticed, changing wallpaper on the iphone 4 is much faster than on my ipad lol

Lock/Wake is instant. There is no lag, its just the fade in/out animation that takes a second compared to ios 6.

Spotlight, when you first open it the keyboard pops up slow for a second. From then on its working fine.

Battery seems to drain faster than before. Is that everyone's experience?

Last edited:

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
My mom's eyesight is not that good. Does the text size option works on all apps/fonts?

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I feel with some backgrounds the Increased Contrast mode looks much nicer - an example is the default blue one. It is a nice dark blue, whereas with the transparency it is a horrible baby blue.

Some other tweaks is disabling spotlight search, and Today/Tomorrow summary in notification centre. Additionally, I find that disabling locks ten notification centre and control centre seems to make the phone come on quicker from standby - mine is instant... Can't really tell which setting made it so much better.

I also feel the iPhone 4 is quite lucky with some of the tweaks they have made to it - the tabs in Safari for example are have a low quality 3D edge... This lags on the 4S for example.

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
My iphone 4 was lagging a lot when I installed ios 7 gm on it (update from beta 6). I was quite disappointed. Of course I was never expecting it to be like ios 6 but close. Anyways, I then reset my settings and most of the lags were gone.

I think it's close to ios 6 now, not as buttery smooth but not annoying either, so I am satisfied.

Safari feels much snappier than ios 6 which is a surprise, multitasking is fast and once the apps are initially opened they function faster. That's my experience so far.

I think upcoming updates will make it even better. The 3d party apps are slow at the moment, they need updating to ios 7 for sure.

Another thing I noticed, changing wallpaper on the iphone 4 is much faster than on my ipad lol

Lock/Wake is instant. There is no lag, its just the fade in/out animation that takes a second compared to ios 6.

Spotlight, when you first open it the keyboard pops up slow for a second. From then on its working fine.

100% my experience, but i still went back to 6.1.3 :p

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm not having too many issues with non-native apps yet. The only frustration I've got is with the TuneIn app - it crashes when I'm trying to switch stations/streams. I'm fairly confident it'll be optimized for iOs7 in the coming weeks.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I strongly recommend you guys do the following -

Backup via iCloud
DFU restore to iOS7
Restore via iCloud
Immediately after reset all settings, network, and privacy settings (not sure if reset all does those other two???)

At this point you're good to go and set up everything.

I recommend disabling background app updating, unticking everything in Spotlight Search (useless indexing), enable "Increased Contrast" in accessibility (doesn't look much different on iPhone 4)... etc.

I also have personally disabled Notification Centre "Today summary" and "Tomorrow summary", and also disabled Notification Centre and Control Centre on the lockscreen - this seemed to make my iPhone 4 wakeup from standby much quicker.

----------

Do you think the final release will be better?

This is final release.

I do however believe there are far more optimisations that will come... this is probably the best .0 release of iOS so far

Yastrebtsov

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Apple is cheating.

Damn. I've been waiting for that frosty effect since Beta 1, and even now, in GM my iPhone 4 doesn't have it. It sucks! I mean they could add it easily, with no harm to performance! I have never made a jailbreak on my iPhone, but if they will hack iOS7 and there will be a tweak to get all the frosty effects everywhere, not only in the Dock, but also in Control Center, which is the most ugliest, I'll definetly jailbreak my iPhone.

Because it's just unfair, and Apple didn't add those effects not because it is impossible, but because they just simple don't want to.

There is simple example - Real Racing 3 Main menu, it has the same frosty effect, which iOS 7 has on iPhone 4S and better. And this effect is not static in the game, i can move it, and it works just fine. So, I think it is just all about sales of new iPhones:(

By the way there are some screenshots from Real Racing 3 with frosty effect from my iPhone 4.

With love from Russia!

Attachments

• IMG_1743.PNG
    IMG_1743.PNG
    616.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1744.PNG
    IMG_1744.PNG
    419.3 KB · Views: 171

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Sounds a bit like the OS 9.2.2 to OS X.0 transition, but not quite as drastic.

Failurbydesign

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
CA
I have a 4s and my wife has a 4. We are both on the GM and I can tell slight differences, but nothing to make us upset over. She never clears her running apps and performance is good.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I stand by every word. I am a long time Apple fan but that doesn't make me "blind" to Apple's errors / faults (of which it has numerous...) within the boundaries of logic & common sense.

example... miffed that my as new & fully operational 2004 iBook G4 PowerPC isn't compatible with "modern" Apple services like iCloud, iTunes11 etc, when a 2004 Windows PC is compatible with iTunes 11!!!!!:confused: & that Safari (which is Apple's own product FFS) crashes continuously on my iBook & I have to resort to using Firefox...

I think Apple should bring out an "update bundle" to make older Mac's compatible with their newer services & of course, they should charge for it & would be more than happy to pay for it.

I have a 2013 Mac mini but I like using the iBook because it still works!

one sometimes feels unhappy about "throwing" away perfectly good equipment due to software...

Are you really complaining about your 2004 powerbook not being compatible? Come on man get a grip.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012

I find that kind of hard to believe. I also have an iPhone 4.

Isn't there some stutter when you bring spotlight down?

Isn't there a bit of a stutter when you switch between pages with a ton of icons?

Aren't drop-down lists on a webpage in safari VERY unresponsive?

Isn't the control center moving at low frame rates when you bring it over the home screen (weirdly enough, it's very smooth when you bring it on top of say, safari, also). It's also weirdly much less smooth than the notification center.

I am not saying that all these are deal breakers, they are fine, the phone is definitely usable, but I wouldn't consider it to be as smooth as iOS 6.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California

WELL DONE APPLE!

Well you're not much of a customer if you haven't bought a phone since the iPhone 4 and don't even want to buy a 5S...:D

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
There's a bit of a few stutters here and then since i did another DFU store, but hmmm the main issue for me now is the main apps I want to use are not fully compatible with iOS7 yet. Take instagram for example. this is what i get when I open it up on my iPhone 4. Makes it difficult to edit the photos in the app when you have this in the apple bar in the way:

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 193
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.