Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Ha, although I sympathise with you - you don't need an Apple Thunderbolt Display! I'm waiting it out, and happy to do so - fortunately got a 27" iMac I can use as my external display - but no-one needs an Apple TBD :p

They're not even that great, spec-wise, when compared to others available. They just look nice and, naturally, work nicely with MacBooks.

I'm waiting a few months new Haswell retina MacBooks (hopefully without the problems this time round!), so might as well wait for the new TBD whilst I'm at it.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
One other question... does anyone know of any good solutions out there for hooking other devices up to a TBD that don't use thunderbolt?

Yes: remove the TBD and replace it with something having DVI, HDMI and/or DisplayPort inputs.

Maybe someone has had success connecting a Thunderbolt-enabled PC to a TBD (use a hen's tooth to connect the mermaid via a 9 dollar bill), but safest assumption is that it only works with Thunderbolt-equipped Macs.

mechasquid

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
Hoping for a refreshed TB Display too.... wondering if it will be the back end of the year before we even see anything though

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Hoping for a refreshed TB Display too.... wondering if it will be the back end of the year before we even see anything though

I'm inclined to agree, and it's a shame. I think someone has already mentioned this, but it's quite likely to come around with the new Mac Pro...whenever that may be.

Besides USB3.0 and MagSafe2...I'm assuming it'll just be form factor that changes with the refresh? Thinner...like the iMacs. Honestly, not fussed about a new form, since I look at the front of it, and the front only. That said, being handed some "temporary-fix" adapter across the counter at time of purchase to make it work is, in my opinion, disgusting - especially when it's a £999 product.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
It's pretty offensive that Apple continues to sell a Thunderbolt display without USB3. There should at least have been a silent refresh for the faster USB. The way Apple takes advantage of "normal" buyers like this makes my blood boil. Then there's poor old me, left to dock my MBP to a disgusting black Asus monitor that's so light it physically wobbles back and forth when I bounce my leg under my desk. Plus it sticks out like a sore thumb with all of my sexy, silver peripherals. Ugh.

These are the times that I hate Apple. It would take no effort at all to refresh ATD's with USB3, yet they continue to hold out for a new "launch" of a product that probably won't even be available until Q2 2013 at the earliest. GOD DAMN YOU APPLE.

That's just not how business works. Trying to silently add USB 3 wouldn't work. The tech sites would report that "some" TBD models have USB 3 and that would cause a rash of returns or reticence by consumers to purchase the display.

If someone wants a TBD but wants USB 3 they are best off to wait for the refreshed model where they will likely get USB 3 and the new laminated display and probably something else pretty cool. That delivers better marketing impact and eases consumer fear.

I just chose to order a TBD today. I do not need USB 3 connections or speed - I can live with the MagSafe converter. What I do not want to risk is increase in price and waiting time. The current one satisfies my needs, even though I think Apple should have offered another option for those with never MacBooks - an option with built in MacSafe 2. But well, it is also nice that it is backwards compatible with older macs.

Probably. iLOL

found a thunderblt display on kijij for 700 bucks, only a few months old, seller claims like new and with box. is that a good deal or hold out for the new one?

p.s - this is my current setup lol

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 197

schnee

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
SF
I have a killer monitor - NEC PA271W - the problem is it gets the typical issues with the TB adapter... on wake it gets static that takes an unplug/replug to fix, out of nowhere it blacks out for a few seconds a few times a day, stuff like that. That's happened with every 27" I've owned with every Apple TB adapter. I just want the Apple monitor to make that crap go away.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Sitting at middle part of September and still no sign. Waiting sure is tiresome, but I don't really have interest in anything else.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Just got a Dell Outlet refurb, with a coupon, for ~$450. That price included tax & shipping. The display itself is every bit as good, or better, than my 27" Apple. Actually, it's better.

Pro
- Many USB 3.0 ports
- Adjustable, so I can align it to my iMac or whatever else I use. I can also use it in Portrait mode, which is kind of cool. Actually, turns out I've missed having adjustable display for years, but just didn't know it.
- Half the price!

Con
- No Thunderbolt... not a huge deal, since little else is
- No speakers... but I use external anyhow
- No power adapter, if I'm using my MBA
- Not Aluminum and feels a bit cheap

Because I used the coupon, I can literally buy two of these for the price of one Mac. And I will.

There's really no reason to buy a Mac display now, when there are so many better display for so much cheaper. Yes, Apple's displays might still have a better looking shell, but there are far better display panels out there. Apple is shipping 2010 technology with 2010 pricing. In 2010, Apple arguably provided the best display bang for the buck. Today, they're behind. And this consumer has decided not to support that behavior by buying another outdated and overpriced monitor.

When I can literally buy two refurb Dell 27" displays for the price of one Apple 27" refurb unit, the Apple would have to be a whole lot better to justify the cost. IMOHO, it os not... not even close. Personally, I'm buying one more Dell display, so my I can have 3 displays on my 27" iMac. Actually, I prefer the way the dells line up to my iMac, vs the Apple display. And I'll use the Apple display for my MBA. I do like having the magsafe power adapter, as well as the simplicity of one TB connection. But if I didn't already own an Apple 27" display, I'd buy three Dell displays instead.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
There's really no reason to buy a Mac display now, when there are so many better display for so much cheaper. Yes, Apple's displays might still have a better looking shell, but there are far better display panels out there. Apple is shipping 2010 technology with 2010 pricing. In 2010, Apple arguably provided the best display bang for the buck. Today, they're behind.

Those of us who want simple, unconditional compatibility with our Apple products would disagree with you. I've tried crowbarring an Android handset into my Apple-sphere, it sucked. Apple are incredibly good at locking you in, and tempting you further, because "it just works". And it really does.

Thunderbolt, quality, chaining, looks. My personal reasoning for choosing a TBD over any other third-party cheap piece. I'd love to pay half price for an equivalent product, but that's not how the world works.

Also, your comments about 2010 are very true. However, when the TBD is updated in a few weeks, I have every faith that it will become one of the best displays available for Apple products in its price range. Worth the money, and for me, worth the wait.

I'm still waiting on Haswell anyway!

paulkerdot

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Those of us who want simple, unconditional compatibility with our Apple products would disagree with you. I've tried crowbarring an Android handset into my Apple-sphere, it sucked. Apple are incredibly good at locking you in, and tempting you further, because "it just works". And it really does.

Thunderbolt, quality, chaining, looks. My personal reasoning for choosing a TBD over any other third-party cheap piece. I'd love to pay half price for an equivalent product, but that's not how the world works.

Also, your comments about 2010 are very true. However, when the TBD is updated in a few weeks, I have every faith that it will become one of the best displays available for Apple products in its price range. Worth the money, and for me, worth the wait.

I'm still waiting on Haswell anyway!

I ordered a refurbished thunderbolt display on Thursday for £649. I am torn between the money off and what will be in the next model. Got 14 day I suppose.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
I ordered a refurbished thunderbolt display on Thursday for £649. I am torn between the money off and what will be in the next model. Got 14 day I suppose.

Definitely sympathise with your dilemma there. Give it a few days at least!

My primary reason for holding off is the current requirement for a MagSafe adapter - a requirement when used with the new Haswell rMBPs presumably too. When something as simple as a monitor is costing me £900, I don't expect to have to use a temporary hardware hack to make it work with a laptop costing me nearly £2000.

Happy to spend the extra, so long as the appropriate user experience and quality comes with it. At the moment, it won't for me.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
i wish they would just release it already. I guess it will be whenever they release the new mac pro which will probably be at the end of october or beginning of november.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.