Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
My phone (perhaps fortuitously) went missing last week and I need to buy a new phone. There's only 6 more days until the 5S comes out and I know that's what I want but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I've become strangely excited by the prospect of rebelling against myself and buying an S4. The thought that I could control my TV and air conditioner from my bed with the S4 is also increasingly attractive.

Please STOP ME.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
You should look at the HTC One. Full body aluminum (Except for a strip of plastic to make for better reception), 1080p ips lcd (As good as the iphone screens or better), 4.7", 1.7 ghz quad core, dual stereo speakers (Which sound amazing), fm radio, works as a remote for your tv (can turn it on, be used as a remote for cable/satellite (Works perfectly as a directv remote, some features disabled, but...)... etc.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
My phone (perhaps fortuitously) went missing last week and I need to buy a new phone. There's only 6 more days until the 5S comes out and I know that's what I want but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I've become strangely excited by the prospect of rebelling against myself and buying an S4. The thought that I could control my TV and air conditioner from my bed with the S4 is also increasingly attractive.

Please STOP ME.
I don't get it. If you dont want the S4 don't buy it.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Lol I don't think anybody here is in any position to forbid you from using your money to buy a phone that you're gonna use. With the 5s, well it's only mere days away from launching. As much as I'm looking forward to getting the iPhone, if somebody gave me an S4...I'd take it without a thought. It's a badass device. It just comes down to you dude. Can you wait for the 5s to launch? If not, get the S4. My friend has it and its awesome. The screen on that thing is just insane

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

Please STOP ME.

Every time I hang out with my friends with android they always tell me about what I am missing. Then I realize, do I really want to gain those features on a 4-5" screen? No... On a 4-5" screen I want a basic phone that allows me to call, iMessage(text),GPS,e-mail and use safari. If I need to game I will use my console or PC which is connected to a much larger display. If I need to remote access something I will use my laptop... I guess what I am saying is that it depends on your needs, but do you really need a much larger screen and the benefits of android vs the simple/reliable/stable/smooth iOS?

Bigdawg4

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012

Please STOP ME.

Go ahead and get the S4, you have 14 days to return it. That way you will have some perspective of life outside the apple ecosystem, and at the same time you can always return it before the 14 days are up and get the 5S. Its called a win/win situation.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

Please STOP ME.

Why should I stop you from buying a better phone?

Go get the s4 and enjoy it.

The 5s is a joke. Fingerprint scanner? Welcome to 2011 apple!

64 bit? On a phone without more than 4gb of ram what's the point

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
For me, iphone win because of the OS. No arguing that the s4 is a good looking phone. If i could get that phone with ios, be a perfect world phone wise. Android has come long way, but still not seemless enough for me. But some love it,

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
Go ahead and get the S4, you have 14 days to return it. That way you will have some perspective of life outside the apple ecosystem, and at the same time you can always return it before the 14 days are up and get the 5S. Its called a win/win situation.

Interesting proposition, but I am kind of wary of doing that because I might grow to like the S4 over the two weeks I have it, only to get iPhone envy a month or so after that when The Woman gets one. Aargggh.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
You have been forbidden but really the S4 is a sweet device. I'm still getting the 5s and most likely the Note 3 as well but you really can't go wrong with the S4.

... and yes, never having to get out of bed again is awesome

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
OK I too would love my iPhone to control my TV and such. (1) There are alternatives am almost sure like WIFI/BT to IR boxes? And (2) Have u actually checked out those android TV remotes? Because if they just give me a keypad + a few control buttons that wouldn't be useful at all. A phone control App to me HAS to be fully programmable like an integillent universal remote where I can program anything to a single push icon.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
OK I too would love my iPhone to control my TV and such. (1) There are alternatives am almost sure like WIFI/BT to IR boxes? And (2) Have u actually checked out those android TV remotes? Because if they just give me a keypad + a few control buttons that wouldn't be useful at all. A phone control App to me HAS to be fully programmable like an integillent universal remote where I can program anything to a single push icon.

The stock app is rather meh but for 9 bucks you can get the universal Smart IR app for S4 off the play store and yes, it's every bit worth it.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

Please STOP ME.

Get whatever phone you want.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Start to see a few HTC One. If I go Android, that's the one I'd get. Am sucker for shinny metal + glass.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Trolling hard bro... buy your expensive aircon and tv remote.

I'll be here with my 1k finger print reader laughing at you and your universal remote.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
why link a 9 min video without a reference time of where to check your point out. There is 4 mins of him using the hover scrolling and commands without saying anything. Is that the lag? I don't get it

I know, he got me with that link as well too. Lolz. What a god!

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

Please STOP ME.

Everytime a person buys a Samsung product another kitten gets drownded.

If you buy one of their phones a puppy gets drownded too.

Always buy Apple. Always! :apple:

Apple the best 100% kitten and puppy cruelty free. :cool:

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Why should I stop you from buying a better phone?

Go get the s4 and enjoy it.

The 5s is a joke. Fingerprint scanner? Welcome to 2011 apple!

64 bit? On a phone without more than 4gb of ram what's the point

The 5s is a far from a joke. This type of finger print recognition on a phone didn't exist in 2011. Or 2012. It's new and its extremely nice, fast and a welcome way to secure your phone rather the pass code alternative

Nor do you understand 64 bit computing.

To the OP...you don't mention the phone you '...lost'? Are you tied Into the iOS system? Apps, movies, books and magazines, et al? If not, give it a shot. You'll know within the return period (if you've been an iOS user) whether or not you'll want to hang on to the s4 for two more years.

IMO, The iPhone 5s is an excellent update to the 5. It's also a different idea and philosophy in comparison to the s4---as is iOS period. I own both an iPhone 5 and Galaxy Note. I like them both quite a bit....but if it ultimately came down to one or the other, my iPhone isn't going anywhere. We've got the 4s (wife) and I the 5. We'll be buying a 5s next week...and selling the 4s to subsidize the subsidized cost ;)
J

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
The 5s is a far from a joke. This type of finger print recognition on a phone didn't exist in 2011. Or 2012. It's new and its extremely nice, fast and a welcome way to secure your phone rather the pass code alternative

Nor do you understand 64 bit computing.

To the OP...you don't mention the phone you '...lost'? Are you tied Into the iOS system? Apps, movies, books and magazines, et al? If not, give it a shot. You'll know within the return period (if you've been an iOS user) whether or not you'll want to hang on to the s4 for two more years.

IMO, The iPhone 5s is an excellent update to the 5. It's also a different idea and philosophy in comparison to the s4---as is iOS period. I own both an iPhone 5 and Galaxy Note. I like them both quite a bit....but if it ultimately came down to one or the other, my iPhone isn't going anywhere. We've got the 4s (wife) and I the 5. We'll be buying a 5s next week...and selling the 4s to subsidize the subsidized cost ;)
J

I had the 4S (and all my data backed up in iTunes), tons of apps, quite a few books and iTunes Match. Not to mention that I also have an Air and an iMac, which makes me think that I am tied in to the ecosystem.

It's funny, I never thought of buying the S4 when I had my 4S but now that I don't have a phone, I've been spending most of my time drooling over S4 video reviews online.

I guess in the end, like you, I might end up buying the 5S, but I am very susceptible to buying an S4 right now; if you put me in Best Buy, I WILL buy it. Guess, I'll have to have someone cuff me to my desk until Friday...

Savvy912

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
For me, iphone win because of the OS. No arguing that the s4 is a good looking phone. If i could get that phone with ios, be a perfect world phone wise. Android has come long way, but still not seemless enough for me. But some love it,

Wow these are my thoughts exactly! I have friends that are constantly trying to get me back over to android (I usually whatever the top android phone is every 3 months)but I feel that since I have moved over to iOS I no longer have to be in the spec war with android. Out of them all I enjoyed my gs4 but was curious about the ip5 so I went and got one then sold the ip5 and kept my gs4 only to go back to the ip5 just a month later because I just want a phone that works smooth and simple. I have an ipad for on the go movies and when I get home my surround sound comes on for that real movie feel. But that's how I prefer to handle my gadget world.

It's you money and your piece of mind that allows you to rest at night. Red or green pill, you live and you learn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.