Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siberiansun

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
I'm close to Frankfurt and Mainz. Contact me at ab at avaos dot de. Maybe I'm in munic next month then i can pick it up or test some parts.
The US keybd. is in fact the problem and it can't be exchanged without changing the whole top cover (keyboards itself can be exchanged, but its a mess). The charger is not, because you already own one ;)

BTW: i saw that you're from a German speaking region because you wrote BMW 3er instead of BMW 3 series ;) I suggest to ride mercs in munic ;)

tuna9720

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Unfortunatly this is the Apple pricing translation.
You guys pay 1499$, we have to pay 1499€, which is 1968,33$, which is more than 30% more for the same product!

Still I won't be in the States within the next 6 month and if someone would send it to me the chance is over 90% that I would have to pay VAT + customs, cause they check it. 19% VAT + 10-15% customs on top > 30%. Then I have to get an adapter for my charger + have a US keyboard.

It's not so easy, there are enough obstacles :)

I btw. support a FTA between the EU and US!

Would there be a charge even though you or your friend claim it's a Personal laptop and not for sale? I don't think so.. As long as you take it out from the box and bring it with your personal belongings. Not leave it in the luggage in it's original sealed box..

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Remove the computer from the case, and you have a remote server-media center of high quality.
I was checking on ebay or ifixit and if you buy all the parts you could for around 700usd save your machine. (don't know if it is worth it).
With out the screen, for 200usd you could have a new case and hook up an external screen.

That's not a bad idea after all. I you change the case and remove the screen, the computer would be barely bigger than an apple keyboard. Buy a nice 24" screen, and you have a nice desktop setup that could even look awesome.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Finally! My burning desire to know what would happen if you ran over a macbook has been answered!

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Remove the computer from the case, and you have a remote server-media center of high quality.
I was checking on ebay or ifixit and if you buy all the parts you could for around 700usd save your machine. (don't know if it is worth it).
With out the screen, for 200usd you could have a new case and hook up an external screen.

That's not a bad idea after all. I you change the case and remove the screen, the computer would be barely bigger than an apple keyboard. Buy a nice 24" screen, and you have a nice desktop setup that could even look awesome.

Not a bad idea, but wouldn't trust it with anything that isn't backed up!

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
1. Make a Time Machine or SuperDuper backup immediately in case it fails.
2. Sell it on eBay for 10 days without a reserve price. You should see $400-500.
3. Buy Haswell MacBook Air.
4. Restore backup to new Air.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
If that happened to me and the MBA was still reliable and usable afterwards I'd use it in public. When people asked me what happened to it I'd pretend to look puzzled and say: "What do you mean? It came like this." :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.