Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doomtomb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Austin, TX
So instead of doing what they usually do:
Selling the old phone for -$100

They are instead selling a "new" version of the old phone made out of cheaper plastic. Does anyone else see they are just ripping off consumers? to increase their profit margins.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Even those this is a joke someone posted awhile back some of the colors are better than what they released. And the front matches the front which helps a lot, if you are going to use color then use it.

rhr98i.jpg

They are instead selling a "new" version of the old phone made out of cheaper plastic. Does anyone else see they are just ripping off consumers? to increase their profit margins.

I would hope or think EVERYONE would see this. It was confirmed at the keynote when we saw pricing and that it is just an iPhone 5. I would rather have an iPhone 5 then this. So they will end up selling more of an old product because they gave it odd colors and made it inferior to what would normally get a price drop. Not falling for it, ever!

Last edited:

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Sure and to put it more simply people demand a certain value when they spend their money. As far as the new iPhones go, the 5s is priced competitively to its competition based on its hardware. I don't think there's that much debate on this fact. With regard to the 5c, people may think its priced high but I think there are three pieces of evidence that counter this claim: 1) Apple's market analysis teams thoroughly study consumers, finding out their particular demands for a particular amount of money spent. The 5c's price is not arbitrary by any means. 2) Apple has long sold its year old iPhone at this the 5c's price point to great success. The 5c is essentially the "yeah old iPhone" but notably has a few improvements. So actually consumers are getting MORE value for this "year old iPhone" than they did in the past. 3) People complained that the iPad mini was priced far too high for it to sell well. I think the incredible sales figures for the mini have proven those skeptics wrong.

All this marketing-speak does not cover the special image, the brand did have - and which becomes more and more damaged. The value of owning an Apple product goes down with focusing on this strategy of trying to stay on par with something like Samsung and becoming known for selling yesterday's hightech with the iPad Mini and iPad2. The logo is not a signal for something special, anymore. What is the keyfeature of Apple at the moment? - Asking for more money, than the competitors are asking for.
Another weakness in most of your argumentation is the ecosystem. For creating dependence to this system, it is needed to make a person using it, first.
This is a difference, anyway: Now, there are competitors. Apple has to offer better products, than they do. But even a lousy increase in flash storage is seemingly much too much!
It is, last but not least, a big difference: Last years top product - or something kindergarden, which is crashed by design. To say it clearly: I would - a thousand times - prefer buying the iPhone5 to an iPhone5c.
(To the 5-S, I want to say:
What are the improvements? A few new colors, which offer better camouflage for scratches. Looks good - what a pity, the good looks will become destroyed by iOS7's retarded looks.
Stuff, only useful for gaming kiddies. Nice, to have a desktopy processor. But it would be even better to have a functioning adaptor for becoming able to have the easy usage of USB flash sticks. iCloud lost charme in times of NSA scandal.
A slightly improved camera. A fingerprint sensor, which will - in times of the NSA scandal - hurt selling in all countries outside the US. We, here in Europe and Asia, did listen! This was, what Barrack Hussein Obama's government said: We only spy on non_US_citizens! And a few days ago, documents came to he light of day, which clearly state, that, as soon as one is syncing an iOS device to a comp, the NSA can easily have ALL the data stored on the device. And now... add he superstitious fear of becoming amputated by an amateur. And if the chip is able to check for pulse - can I be sure, every stupid drugged lowlife on street is aware of this problem?)

----------

Even those this is a joke someone posted awhile back some of the colors are better than what they released. And the front matches the front which helps a lot, if you are going to use color then use it.

I would hope or think EVERYONE would see this. It was confirmed at the keynote when we saw pricing and that it is just an iPhone 5. I would rather have an iPhone 5 then this. So they will end up selling more of an old product because they gave it odd colors and made it inferior to what would normally get a price drop. Not falling for it, ever!

It would have been much more cool and clever, to "quote" the colors and the semitransparency of the old iMacs. This wonderful plastic, they are using for the 5C, is looking blocky and cheap. This does not change with a video of an ecstatic and euphoric Ive, telling me, how good it feels in the hand. All I see, is an obviously colorblind person, who tries to sell something trashy looking for high price.

Last edited:

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
It would have been much more cool and clever, to "quote" the colors and the semitransparency of the old iMacs. This wonderful plastic, they are using for the 5C, is looking blocky and cheap. This does not change with a video of an ecstatic and euphoric Ive, telling me, how good it feels in the hand. All I see, is an obviously colorblind person, who tries to sell something trashy looking for high price.

For my personal tastes Apple needs to change how they design a few of their products and even how these keynote type ads work. I know a company should stand by their products and that would be fine if did not come across and a cheap move to make more profit.

If the iPhone 5c was the price of the 4s then it would not like they were trying to save money on the iPhone 5 being reduced.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
All this marketing-speak does not cover the special image, the brand did have - and which becomes more and more damaged. The value of owning an Apple product goes down with focusing on this strategy of trying to stay on par with something like Samsung and becoming known for selling yesterday's hightech with the iPad Mini and iPad2. The logo is not a signal for something special, anymore. What is the keyfeature of Apple at the moment? - Asking for more money, than the competitors are asking for.
Another weakness in most of your argumentation is the ecosystem. For creating dependence to this system, it is needed to make a person using it, first.
This is a difference, anyway: Now, there are competitors. Apple has to offer better products, than they do. But even a lousy increase in flash storage is seemingly much too much!
It is, last but not least, a big difference: Last years top product - or something kindergarden, which is crashed by design. To say it clearly: I would - a thousand times - prefer buying the iPhone5 to an iPhone5c.
(To the 5-S, I want to say:
What are the improvements? A few new colors, which offer better camouflage for scratches. Looks good - what a pity, the good looks will become destroyed by iOS7's retarded looks.
Stuff, only useful for gaming kiddies. Nice, to have a desktopy processor. But it would be even better to have a functioning adaptor for becoming able to have the easy usage of USB flash sticks. iCloud lost charme in times of NSA scandal.
A slightly improved camera. A fingerprint sensor, which will - in times of the NSA scandal - hurt selling in all countries outside the US. We, here in Europe and Asia, did listen! This was, what Barrack Hussein Obama's government said: We only spy on non_US_citizens! And a few days ago, documents came to he light of day, which clearly state, that, as soon as one is syncing an iOS device to a comp, the NSA can easily have ALL the data stored on the device. And now... add he superstitious fear of becoming amputated by an amateur. And if the chip is able to check for pulse - can I be sure, every stupid drugged lowlife on street is aware of this problem?)

Wow kid you have problems. You managed to turn a conversation about a phone into a racist, political rant. Congratulations.

Let's just slaughter your rant in a few quick counterpoints. 1) The NSA can't touch the fingerprints since the phone isn't actually recording your actual fingerprints but rather looks at a specific pattern 2) Your finger cannot be cut off your body since the sensor only reads live tissue 3) "drugged lowlifes" aren't the ones stealing smartphones 4) Barrack Obama is a christian (and a very good one at that) so your attempt to paint him as a muslim is unfounded 5) Companies sell "yesterdays hightech" all the time. Its not exclusive to Apple. Its the only way to sell cheaper products. 6) A 64-bit processor has many advantages outside the desktop. You claim to know technology yet you seem to be ignorant about this fact. Well, I guess you're ignorant about a lot of things... 7) The 5c has improvements in the battery and front camera. 8) You don't seem to understand that people won't look at the 5c as an "iPhone 5 with color." It will appear as an entirely new product to them. Only tech-savy people will understand the underlying hardware similarities. If you don't believe me, look at the success of the iPad mini (old hardware -> new form factor-> huge sales). 9) Yes Apple has competitors and they compete well with them. For instance the 5s's underlying hardware is now best-in-class on the market. Sure Samsung will release the S5 in 6 months and have something better but the 5s is the best now. 10) Only a slim minority of users would need 128 gb. If Apple eliminated the 16 and shifted everything up (32 as base, 64, 128 as highest) then all those people who only needed a max of 32 or 64 get to pay significantly less for their phones. And since they wouldn't make it up with enough people going to 128gb their margins would suffer.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Wow kid you have problems. You managed to turn a conversation about a phone into a racist, political rant. Congratulations.

Let's just slaughter your rant in a few quick counterpoints. 1) The NSA can't touch the fingerprints since the phone isn't actually recording your actual fingerprints but rather looks at a specific pattern 2) Your finger cannot be cut off your body since the sensor only reads live tissue 3) "drugged lowlifes" aren't the ones stealing smartphones 4) Barrack Obama is a christian (and a very good one at that) so your attempt to paint him as a muslim is unfounded 5) Companies sell "yesterdays hightech" all the time. Its not exclusive to Apple. Its the only way to sell cheaper products. 6) A 64-bit processor has many advantages outside the desktop. You claim to know technology yet you seem to be ignorant about this fact. Well, I guess you're ignorant about a lot of things... 7) The 5c has improvements in the battery and front camera. 8) You don't seem to understand that people won't look at the 5c as an "iPhone 5 with color." It will appear as an entirely new product to them. Only tech-savy people will understand the underlying hardware similarities. If you don't believe me, look at the success of the iPad mini (old hardware -> new form factor-> huge sales). 9) Yes Apple has competitors and they compete well with them. For instance the 5s's underlying hardware is now best-in-class on the market. Sure Samsung will release the S5 in 6 months and have something better but the 5s is the best now. 10) Only a slim minority of users would need 128 gb. If Apple eliminated the 16 and shifted everything up (32 as base, 64, 128 as highest) then all those people who only needed a max of 32 or 64 get to pay significantly less for their phones. And since they wouldn't make it up with enough people going to 128gb their margins would suffer.

I hope, you can forgive me, that, all in all, I am of the opinion of having invested enough time in answering your questions. Again and again you are repeating the same things and are unable to let go and accept other opinions; instead, you are developing an aggressive undertone.
But about this fingerprint sensor I am telling you one thing: All we have, is, what Apple says. This is not enough! Cook did not even dare to mention the scandal. I do not trust him.
http://www.spiegel.de/international...phones-including-the-blackberry-a-921161.html

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
I hope, you can forgive me, that, all in all, I am of the opinion of having invested enough time in answering your questions. Again and again you are repeating the same things and are unable to let go and accept other opinions; instead, you are developing an aggressive undertone.
But about this fingerprint sensor I am telling you one thing: All we have, is, what Apple says. This is not enough! Cook did not even dare to mention the scandal. I do not trust him.
http://www.spiegel.de/international...phones-including-the-blackberry-a-921161.html

I actually never had any questions for you. In fact I only made points and provided evidence for those points.

Based on your ignorance and racist undertones, I promise that you are not important. The NSA could gather all your fingerprints, DNA, etc and they wouldn't do anything with it.

If you really think you ARE important then just don't buy the phone. But with history as our guide, I would imagine that all high-end smartphones are going to have fingerprint sensors soon.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
I actually never had any questions for you. In fact I only made points and provided evidence for those points.

Based on your ignorance and racist undertones, I promise that you are not important. The NSA could gather all your fingerprints, DNA, etc and they wouldn't do anything with it.

If you really think you ARE important then just don't buy the phone. But with history as our guide, I would imagine that all high-end smartphones are going to have fingerprint sensors soon.

Oh... Now I understand. You want to be important!
Nothing easier than that! Just buy all different colors of the touchy new phone. You can choose a fresh color each day! People will look at you with respect.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Oh... Now I understand. You want to be important!
Nothing easier than that! Just buy all different colors of the touchy new phone. You can choose a fresh color each day! People will look at you with respect.

Yes I buy "touchy" (I think you didn't translate that one properly) phones because they make me look important. You're genius to put that together is truly incomprehensible to me. And your ability to see the terrible leadership of "Barrack Hussain Obama" is absolutely remarkable. Sweden must be thrilled to have you in their country.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Yes I buy "touchy" (I think you didn't translate that one properly) phones because they make me look important. You're genius to put that together is truly incomprehensible to me. And your ability to see the terrible leadership of "Barrack Hussain Obama" is absolutely remarkable. Sweden must be thrilled to have you in their country.

Yes. A few Swedish girls, blue eyes, long blonde hair, are kneeling in the grass below my kitchen window - right now. They are singing tender lovesongs. This happens on a daily base :)
Have a nice weekend!
(Sorry. Red eyes/ blue hair.
The usage of the president's first names, I started during the George Walker Bush time, by the way.)

Last edited:

harlemexplosion

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013

Cutting corners and selling like new. That's an innovation that others can't pull off. Still, I love the iPhone 5S. the 5C is just a bad joke on their consumers.

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Meaning I can talk for 10 hours straight without the phone dying.

on my iPhone 4s, a 2-hour drive with the GPS on and Bluetooth music streaming to the car drains a full battery. There's no way I buy another iPhone.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
on my iPhone 4s, a 2-hour drive with the GPS on and Bluetooth music streaming to the car drains a full battery. There's no way I buy another iPhone.

That's not normal. Take it to Apple and have them diagnose it for you.

Last edited:

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012

The question is, assuming your iPhone is functioning properly, will the result be different with an Android under the same conditions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.