Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Apple's September 10th event came along with no sign of a new iPod touch, yet I still believe we will see a 6th gen model before the end of the year. I think it will have:
  • 64-bit A7 processor. My reasoning behind this is that Apple wants wide-spread adoption of 64-bit support in App Store apps. The best way to do this would to give all of their mobile products the A7/A7X chips, including the iPad and iPad mini. It's possible that Apple didn't reveal the new iPod touch at the iPhone event so that the attention wasn't drawn way from the iPhone 5s.
  • 5MP iSight camera with Burst mode and 120fps slo-mo. Like the iPhone 5s, I expect Apple will focus on the quality of each pixel of the photo rather than the number of pixels. The extra modes will be added thanks to the more powerful A7 chip.
  • Single LED flash. Apple have always cut costs with the iPod touch in comparison to the iPhone, and I suspect with the addition of the A7 chip they will need to even more. Apple can't afford to put the True-tone flash in the new iPod touch, as it will increase costs even more. Also, I suspect it might eat into the iPhone 5s's sales a bit more.
  • Improved FaceTime HD camera. Likely to be the same one found in the iPhone 5c and 5s.
  • No Touch ID. Again, this is partially due to cost-cutting in the iPod touch. Also, this would eat into iPhone 5s sales. Finally, Apple doesn't need wide-spread adoption of this feature as 3rd party apps don't (currently) use it.
  • Same design as before. Much like the iPhone 5 and 5s, apple won't change the design between the 5th and 6th gen iPod touch. They've just changed the slate colour on the 5th gen for the space grey found on the iPhone 5s: they can afford to do so as the 6th gen will be using the exact same outer shell. All of the same colour combinations will still be available.
  • No iPod touch loop. I suspect Apple will want to be saving space in the iPod touch for the new A7 etc, so removing the loop would make sense. I know a few people with the 5th gen as well as myself, and none of us ever use the loop. The only external change they would have to make is not to drill the 'loop' hole, which they already don't do with the 16GB 5th gen.

There are a few extra things I need to cover:
  • Price. I suspect Apple won't change the price from the 5th gen to ensure as many people as possible can buy one.
  • Capacity. It will have the same 32GB and 64GB options that the 5th gen had at exactly the same prices.
  • Cheaper option. Apple will still sell the 16GB 5th gen as an alternative, cheaper option to the 6th gen. While I think the price of this will remain the same as it is now, there is a possibility that it could be made cheaper.
  • Announcement and release date. Apple will probably announce this new iPod touch at the rumoured October media/iPad event. It will be planned to be released by the start of November, but there could be delays due to the number of A7 chips available.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I don't see it coming this year.

I doubt Apple want another situation like they did with the 4th gen. I mean, surely they aren't leaving their top-end iPod with a processor from early 2011?

If it doesn't come this year, then it will be early next year. That or Apple are playing their cards wrong and come mid 2014 we're left with a device that can't keep up with iOS 8.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I doubt Apple want another situation like they did with the 4th gen. I mean, surely they aren't leaving their top-end iPod with a processor from early 2011?

They are not updating the Touch. You will not see a new Touch (other than colors) until fall 2014.

If they had eliminated the iPhone 4S, I think you would have had a better shot at an updated Touch. As it is, it looks like Apple has no issues with using the A5 (iPhone 4S). Also, the A5 should work up to (and including) IOS 8.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I don't think they would have updated the colours if a new model was right around the corner.

With apple you never know tho!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

If it doesn't come this year, then it will be early next year. That or Apple are playing their cards wrong and come mid 2014 we're left with a device that can't keep up with iOS 8.

The ipod line isnt that important to Apple in the grand scheme of things. ipod sales have been declining for several years. During the last quarter ipods only accounted for 2 % of Apple's revenue. Also if Apple did update the touch it would not get the A7. The A7 is for the flagship phone and ipad.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
The ipod line isnt that important to Apple in the grand scheme of things. ipod sales have been declining for several years. During the last quarter ipods only accounted for 2 % of Apple's revenue. Also if Apple did update the touch it would not get the A7. The A7 is for the flagship phone and ipad.

2% is still millions towards their bottom line. Second, the A7 is todays flagship processor just like the A6, A5 in years past.

Overall i agree with the original poster assessment. I would only add this:

Processor. A7 iphone A8 quad core 2gb memory
Memory 1gb
Isight camera. 8mp. (iPhone will be 12 at least)
5inch screen like iPhone 6
Bigger battery
M7 co processor. (Maybe give it less then 30% chance)
Touch ID. (They'll put this in all their mobile devices in 2014)
iOS 8. (7 is already a memory hog)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
2% is still millions towards their bottom line. Second, the A7 is todays flagship processor just like the A6, A5 in years past.

Overall i agree with the original poster assessment. I would only add this:

Processor. A7 iphone A8 quad core 2gb memory
Memory 1gb
Isight camera. 8mp. (iPhone will be 12 at least)
5inch screen like iPhone 6
Bigger battery
M7 co processor. (Maybe give it less then 30% chance)
Touch ID. (They'll put this in all their mobile devices in 2014)
iOS 8. (7 is already a memory hog)

Eventually it will get all these things but I don't think it would get stuff like the A7 or Touch ID this year. In 2014 I think it will get a significant upgrade, with much of the stuff you mention.

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
I believe Apple will introduce a new iPod next year, perhaps along with iWatch and other products. This year they have plenty to announce - Mac Pro, MBP with Haswell, iPads, etc. Who knows we will just have to wait and see what happens.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Eventually it will get all these things but I don't think it would get stuff like the A7 or Touch ID this year. In 2014 I think it will get a significant upgrade, with much of the stuff you mention.

As long as the new iPod is a powerhouse to run the latest games I'm happy. My iPod touch is a gaming device, I seriously can't wait for next year!

I believe Apple will introduce a new iPod next year, perhaps along with iWatch and other products. This year they have plenty to announce - Mac Pro, MBP with Haswell, iPads, etc. Who knows we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Can't wait!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It would be hard for Apple to justify an upgrade to the A6 processor this year now that they have introduced the 5C, which has the A6 processor but is not a budget device.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
too bad if they won't upgrade it this year, because the touch is one of the first devices a non Apple customer will buy I think.
At least this is what I see around me.

I would like to have an updated touch. I was a bit disappointed with the previous update because it didn't have a gps, what I would love to go running with it.

The touch combined with an Apple TV is the best combination to change the current gaming industry :)

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I really hope they update it this year, I've been waiting for a better upgrade for my 4th gen touch for a few years now, but the 5th gen isn't going to cut it after another year, now 2 years behind in processors. New colors (aside from space grey) would be nice too. I have a feeling they want to push for the 64-bit apps and stuff though, so hopefully they do update it and make the iPod touch a powerhouse device again, it hasn't been in the past 3 years.

Last edited:

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
the current 32gb touch is actually a bargain when compared to the iphone. ... if you can live without the cell radio.

sure it has a smaller screen than the ipad mini but you get more memory in exchange.

I see no reason for apple to upgrade it. It is lightning connected and runs ios7 just fine.

Aradar

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Hell no. They're definitely not going to introduce a 6th gen. until fall of 2014. And go directly to the A7 64-bit processor? You're crazy. Last year, when the iPhone 5 got the A6, the iPod touch got the A5. They're not going to skip like that. It doesn't work that way. They need to keep a balance because they don't want iPod touch's to affect iPhone sales. They'll most likely bring a A6 processor. Also, I'd imagine it getting the touch screen technology as well as an 8-MP camera. It might make the screen a little larger, but truthfully I currently like it at it looks now.

madmofo145

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I think the obvious answer here is that we are all clueless, there are too many situations Apple could be contemplating to make any prediction better then the next. Those who argue that Apple is done upgrading the iPod during S years? It happened once, and once does not a trend make. That's the biggest thing, this is still a youngish product and we don't have enough data to support any theories, my own take though.

Apple may be tempted to do biannual updates to the iPod. There is no carrier subsidy to deal with, and with a 299 base price (for the current model) most people won't update every year. This would keep R&D down.

They will likely be tempted to stay a gen back in hardware. Early updates to hardware seemed more incremental, and while expanding the 64bit processor user base is tempting, those contemplating an iPhone 5C might be hard pressed to understand why their device cost so much more then a theoretical iPod 6 when that would have a better processor, and would mainly be missing cell radios. At least when the 5s is a year old going against an A7 iPod touch, it will have it's touch sensor to brag about.

There is a problem though. Google is supposed to release the Nexus 5 soon, with a rumored 299 price tag, and great specs to boot. If google is smart enough to market it as a competitor against the iPod as well as iPhones, then suddenly the iPod looks very expensive for what you get by comparison, and the Nexus becomes a viable alternative to the iPod. If Apple is worried about that kind of scenario then we would expect a yearly update to the device. An A6 powered device with slightly upgraded camera would certainly look a bit more tempting then the current gen device when stacked up against the Nexus.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
I think the obvious answer here is that we are all clueless, there are too many situations Apple could be contemplating to make any prediction better then the next. Those who argue that Apple is done upgrading the iPod during S years? It happened once, and once does not a trend make. That's the biggest thing, this is still a youngish product and we don't have enough data to support any theories, my own take though.

Apple may be tempted to do biannual updates to the iPod. There is no carrier subsidy to deal with, and with a 299 base price (for the current model) most people won't update every year. This would keep R&D down.

They will likely be tempted to stay a gen back in hardware. Early updates to hardware seemed more incremental, and while expanding the 64bit processor user base is tempting, those contemplating an iPhone 5C might be hard pressed to understand why their device cost so much more then a theoretical iPod 6 when that would have a better processor, and would mainly be missing cell radios. At least when the 5s is a year old going against an A7 iPod touch, it will have it's touch sensor to brag about.

There is a problem though. Google is supposed to release the Nexus 5 soon, with a rumored 299 price tag, and great specs to boot. If google is smart enough to market it as a competitor against the iPod as well as iPhones, then suddenly the iPod looks very expensive for what you get by comparison, and the Nexus becomes a viable alternative to the iPod. If Apple is worried about that kind of scenario then we would expect a yearly update to the device. An A6 powered device with slightly upgraded camera would certainly look a bit more tempting then the current gen device when stacked up against the Nexus.

Agreed. I think your post puts a good perspective on what may or may not be.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hell no. They're definitely not going to introduce a 6th gen. until fall of 2014. And go directly to the A7 64-bit processor? You're crazy. Last year, when the iPhone 5 got the A6, the iPod touch got the A5. They're not going to skip like that. It doesn't work that way. They need to keep a balance because they don't want iPod touch's to affect iPhone sales. They'll most likely bring a A6 processor. Also, I'd imagine it getting the touch screen technology as well as an 8-MP camera. It might make the screen a little larger, but truthfully I currently like it at it looks now.
Actually if the top iPhone and full size iPads go to an A8 processor next year, then everything else could get an A7 processor next year. If Apple wants to go into 64bit for the iOS products, they will need to do something like this.

This will keep the balance you mentioned.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It'd be nice if they kicked up the iPods specs a bit. If I get the newest gen iPad I'd like to snag an iPod tpich for the wifey but it can't be hardware challenged or underpowered. The 5th gen is nice but it will soon fall behind.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It'd be nice if they kicked up the iPods specs a bit. If I get the newest gen iPad I'd like to snag an iPod tpich for the wifey but it can't be hardware challenged or underpowered. The 5th gen is nice but it will soon fall behind.

The iPod Touch 5 runs great under IOS7 and isn't at all hardware challenged or underpowered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.