Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Here's what to do. I've had Samsung DLP and LED TVs, and they both handle computer input the same way. There is one special HDMI/DVI input on the back of your TV that is intended for computer hook-up. You need to connect your Mini to that HDMI input. Then in the Samsung set-up menu, you need to rename that input as PC. Once you do that, your TV will be able to handle the video signal from the Mini using correct color space and 1:1 pixel mapping. You will not need to scale the picture on the Mini. You will notice that the image will just snap in, producing very sharp picture with perfectly legible text. Anything else will give you subpar picture.

My Samsung UN40C6300 maps "PC" input as a VGA source, and "HDMI" input as HDMI source.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Make sure your monitor is in PC or Computer mode and/or that overscan is disabled (set things to "just scan", as a poster said above). The monitor is being detected as a TV when connected via HDMI, which causes the poor picture.

Dorianadams

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2013
Yes the sharpness on a Samsung needs to be all the way down... but text is still not black enough.... No matter what setting... As far as general appearance
and screen edge cutoffs ..Go to the Apple settings ..click on displays and crank up the underscan until it looks better. Still probably going back .. Too fussy.

ddnava

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2013
I've got a similar issue with my Mac Mini (2012, 2.50GHz i5), but I don't like the effect that underscan gives to the image.
I mean, it actually makes the image to fit in my screen (TV), but it makes ir a little blurred, but when I boot in Win7 via BootCamp, the image quality is plain perfect. I wonder if there's a way to make it look better on OS X. And no, my TV has no such a "Just scan" option

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Just a configuration issue.

There are thousands of different monitors and Apple has not created a profile for every monitor under the sun. I had to create my own profile for a U2713H on a 2010 Mac mini server, the 2011 and 2012 Mac mini did have a profile build in for this model.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

There are thousands of different monitors and Apple has not created a profile for every monitor under the sun. I had to create my own profile for a U2713H on a 2010 Mac mini server, the 2011 and 2012 Mac mini did have a profile build in for this model.

I recently picked up a late 2012 Mini (refurb) and a Dell U2713H (new), and they worked together straight out of the box, via the Display Port cable that came with the Dell. Full res (2560 x 1440) and a beautiful picture. :)

ddnava

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2013

Okay, so how can I create my own profile for a L32W961 (AOC)?:apple:

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008

Your first step should be to Google how to articles on making monitor profiles on the Mac. I wouldn't buy a calibration device for a 720P TV. Definitely not worth it. Instead, use the built-in calibration on the Mac.

ddnava

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2013
Your first step should be to Google how to articles on making monitor profiles on the Mac. I wouldn't buy a calibration device for a 720P TV. Definitely not worth it. Instead, use the built-in calibration on the Mac.

Question is, how can I access the built-in calibration on my Mac?

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011

I had deleted the saved stuff after disposing my 2010 server and it took me some time to find it again. Here is the link: http://embdev.net/topic/284710 .Halfway down ( http://embdev.net/topic/284710#3027030 ) is a script to generate the new configuration and afterwards you'll have to move it to the correct location. Good luck.

----------

That is a different calibration, I am talking about the configuration file - OS X recognizing the monitor and applying the settings for the monitor. What you are suggesting is adjusting the color calibration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.