Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvada191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Currently, I own the iPhone 4S. Since I didn't really see a reason for me to purchase the iPhone 5, I skipped it. However, I'm rather intrigued by the camera, and especially the "Touch ID". Would it be worth it to upgrade from the 4S, or should I just wait for the iPhone 6 next year?

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Currently, I own the iPhone 4S. Since I didn't really see a reason for me to purchase the iPhone 5, I skipped it. However, I'm rather intrigued by the camera, and especially the "Touch ID". Would it be worth it to upgrade from the 4S, or should I just wait for the iPhone 6 next year?
You should wait for the iPhone 27, I hear it is going to blow all other phones away.

Kram1975

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011

I assume you're like me and have a subsidy you can use now. I'm in the same boat but I'm waiting for iPhone 6 to get off the S cycle.

iPhone 6 will be here before you know it. July-September and it will have improved battery and larger screen.

IOS 7 should make your phone feel somewhat new and help you satisfy a need for change.

Hope this helps. The above comments are not constructive and immature. Ignore them.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Nobody can make this decision for you. Only you know if it's worth it. Are you happy with your 4S? Can you personally justify getting the 5S? Only you can answer that.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I assume you're like me and have a subsidy you can use now. I'm in the same boat but I'm waiting for iPhone 6 to get off the S cycle.

iPhone 6 will be here before you know it. July-September and it will have improved battery and larger screen.

IOS 7 should make your phone feel somewhat new and help you satisfy a need for change.

Hope this helps. The above comments are not constructive and immature. Ignore them.

Or you can use the subsidy to buy $199 iPhone 5S. Sell your iPhone 4S for $250 (that is a very conservative estimate, most are selling on CL and eBay for $300). Pocket $50.

Next year use an early upgrade and buy iPhone 6 for $450. Sell 5S for $300. $150 loss becomes $100 when you count the $50 saved from my first point.

$100 seems like a cheap price to enjoy the latest iPhone for two years in a row (5S and 6) and getting off the S cycle.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I have an iPhone 4S and I'll be upgrading to the 5S. Primarily because I want LTE. I was still locked in a contract when the 5 came out so I was unable to upgrade.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'd say that if you are coming from the 4S it is worth it to get the 5S. You get a larger screen and much improved internals (processor, camera, etc). I say go for it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
One thing you might want to take into consideration is if you're planning to update to iOS 7, it looks a lot better on a 4 inch screen of the 5/5S. I tried it on both a 5 and a 4S, and it was a much better experience on the larger screen.

Impuls3101

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
I am in the same situation as you. Yea the phone will be a big improvement over the 4s but do I really want the 5s form for 2 more years. I don't want to shell out money every year for a new phone upgrading to a 6. I want a larger screen now and iOS 7 isn't cutting it for me anymore.

David126

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
Your 4S will feel new when ios7 arrives on Wednesday. I'd wait for 6 because it will be a real improvement over the regular 5. Just think..the 5s has an 8mp camera, so does 4S, 5S has retina display, so does 4S. I was going to buy it myself but its not a real big incremental upgrade. I say 6 but its always your choice in the end.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
More than likely, the 6 will look just like the 5 and the 5S so go ahead and get the 5S. :p

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
It's your money. Do what you wish. The people who will tell you to get it are generally those you are getting the 5s. The one telling you not to, are the ones not getting it.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013

Are you in the U.S.?

If you're on a U.S. carrier and don't take advantage of the upgrade subsidy until next year you are basically throwing away $250.

Personally I'm going to upgrade and enjoy it.

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
Let me throw this out there.

I'm currently on a iPhone 4 which I paid $50 for. I figure I can sell it for $200 or thereabouts, maybe, considering it's always been in an otterbox with a screen protector and is unlocked?

My thinking is that this would be a real upgrade for me, correct?

If not, I'll just use it on the bike as an iPod I guess. :D

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Your 4S will feel new when ios7 arrives on Wednesday. I'd wait for 6 because it will be a real improvement over the regular 5. Just think..the 5s has an 8mp camera, so does 4S, 5S has retina display, so does 4S. I was going to buy it myself but its not a real big incremental upgrade. I say 6 but its always your choice in the end.

To say the camera is no different because they are both 8MP is extremely naive . Yes the resolution size of the photos will be the same but that's about it. The 5s has a better sensor and wider aperture so clearer images, less noise and better low light performance. The 5s has a better processor so image processing will be much improved as well. Also the true tone flash looks like it'll result in better photos where the flash is used judging by Apple's samples.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've always skipped the S upgrades. iPhone 6 with a redesign and most likely a larger screen will be coming next year.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Are you in the U.S.?

If you're on a U.S. carrier and don't take advantage of the upgrade subsidy until next year you are basically throwing away $250.

Personally I'm going to upgrade and enjoy it.

I understand this but at the same time I don't... can someone break this down for me, please? I know you pay your subsidy in the phone bill regardless of whether you've upgraded or not (aka it's in EVERY BILL NO MATTER WHAT)... but since it's in every month's fee, how does it mean that spending ~$200 on a new iPhone every 2 years is better than buying it every 3? It's still ~$200 down each time you buy a new phone...? To just make sure my statement is clear... I mean that, if in 2013 you buy a phone and do so in 2015, that's $400 ($200 on each phone)... but if you just buy in 2014, then that's only $200 spent, since the phone bill which includes subsidy costs will be the same regardless.

dvada191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
You know, I think I'll just sell my 4S and upgrade. The new features seem like a good selling point. Then a bit later I'll sell the 5S to buy the 6 or 6S.

Thanks for the replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.