Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Either 1 year, 3 years or 4+ years.

Really depends on my money situation as well as what other sort of products are released in the future or general future things I may need to pay for instead of a new toy.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
I'm looking at keeping this for a good 5+ years.

This is my backup computer for on the road and it'll do more than enough! My 06 (white) Macbook would still be that road computer but battery life and issues with the fan finally forced me to replace it with this. That and the rMBP was still a tad bit to large for carrying around all day.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Anywhere from 2-4 years. Sometimes you hit a good cycle when processing power outlasts the software. Some people call it future proofing. If you bought a 2011 MBA with 4gb of memory, you should be be fine for Mavericks and maybe one more.

When my MBA is too slow I'm upgrading, I like it when it's speedy.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I'm ready to replace my 2010 with a Haswell rMBP when they're available. I say that now, but that may change when the time comes and I actually need to cough up the $$$. Fact of the matter is I don't NEED to upgrade. The only thing I could use more performance in is when i'm running windows via parallels, but I do that like once a week or less and not for a long period of time either. Who knows, I may end up keeping it until it just quits or falls apart on me. Or if there's an OSX update that I really want that doesn't run well with these specs.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
2010 11" MBA here (base model with 2GB RAM). Running fine here with Mavericks. No replacement plans.

Taskman

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Hooden
Looking at around 3 years at least can be a lot more if I buy other stuff in between. It all comes down to when I really feel the need to replace it.

Tarrou8

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
Between 3-5 years. I get irrationally attached to my machines and enjoy using them long after they become dated. I'm typing this on my late 2007 BlackBook that I still use for basic internet browsing and Netflix (for fun at home).

silvershamrock

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Well, considering that I still have the old LC475 that I got in the mid-90's ... ;) (and yes, it still works, although TBH it's not useful for very much anymore. I still keep my old writing from that era stored on its HDD though.)

When I bought my near-base model 2012 MBA (128GB, i5, 8GB RAM) I was anticipating keeping it at least as long as I've had that ancient LC475. However, I'm already drooling over the 2013's (12hr battery life??), so I might be selling this one in a year or so (while it still has some AppleCare left) to help subsidize an upgrade to a 2014.

However, as a few other posters have already said, a lot depends on the $$$ situation. If I wait until I "need" a new computer, I'll probably be waiting a LOT longer than just another year, lol ... Since this one works just fine and will probably continue to do so for several years, a new computer is lower on the priority list than several other items I'm considering.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Happy with my 2010 13" 4/256 MBA, rock solid. Think I'll wait until the next big redesign in 2014 or 2015.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I replace my MBA every year. However, I always pass my one year old machine to a family member. So... I typically buy them with a 5-6 year expected lifespan for each computer. I just personally get a new one every year (since I pay). ;)

It is a great way to rationalize a technology addiction. It applies to iPhones, iPads, and iMacs too! ;)

/Jim

Uncle Jim? Is that you?!?:D

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Between 3-5 years. I get irrationally attached to my machines and enjoy using them long after they become dated. I'm typing this on my late 2007 BlackBook that I still use for basic internet browsing and Netflix (for fun at home).

I was that way with my 12" G4 powerbooks... but then I really liked the black macbook and finally passed my powerbooks on to family and friends. Since then I have tried not to get too far behind the curve by being too fond of my oldies. So like lately I keep one MBA and one MBP.

My MBP (2010) definitely needs to head out the door, so I'll upgrade that. But then my current Air, which is a mid-2011 and gets used lightly, will need to take the joke here for a few more years. If something really amazing pops up in the MBA product line after I get a different MBP, I'll probably try to sit on my hands for at least that MBA's next gen.

I don't sell my old gear, it goes to family / friends, so there can be budget considerations for sure when Apple brings out something I really like. I have to think whether I can upgrade to that item or if some other kind of gear (say a phone or iPad) is going to call out to me in the near future too.

I'm trying to let other people be early adopters of the radically different stuff now. Sometimes I stick to the goal and sometimes I cave...

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Until it dies and repairing is not convenient or until it stops providing me the power I need. (Of course If I have the money to buy a new one when that moment comes)

I upgraded from a 2012 11 because at that moment I bought as a second computer. After realizing how comfortable and powerful it was, it became my main and only computer. Replaced it last june because I needed more ssd. My MBA's 256 SSD + portable SeaGate 1TB USB 3 = more than enough.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Usually every three years; this is because the cycle I pay closest heed to is the expiry of Applecare, rather than revolutionary updates. In any case, after three years, tech developments have usually what the new model has to offer quite noticeable.

Actually, sometimes, I find I skip a generation of development; my old 13" MBA was 2 GB of RAM, whereas I was able to buy a new 11" MBA with 8 GB; the difference was quite striking.

In general, as in common with the story posted by others, family tend to inherit my older machines.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I have used my current Macbook Pro for three years now. The only reason I purchased a Macbook Air to replace it is portability. I ordered an i7/8GB/250GB setup. My main tasks will be surfing, Xcode programming, and taking notes at work. I think I will keep it for at least 5 or so years before even thinking about upgrading. As always, plans can change. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.