Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Why are all samsung products made from cheap plastic? I mean I like their specs and prices and android is a capable OS. But why can't they just make a diamond cut titanium/magnesium/aluminum unibody fused seamlessly with glass. Precise and durable.

I wouldn't even consider the ipad mini, ipad4 or iphone5 if they could just offer me a quality piece of hardware. They obviously got the tech and internals that is superior to tech from Apple.

It's hard to create a desirable profit margin when using top of the line hardware and materials at the same time. HTC knows this and recently laid off 20% of it's employees.

There is a lot more depth to running a business than making you happy.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Why are all samsung products made from cheap plastic? I mean I like their specs and prices and android is a capable OS. But why can't they just make a diamond cut titanium/magnesium/aluminum unibody fused seamlessly with glass. Precise and durable.

I wouldn't even consider the ipad mini, ipad4 or iphone5 if they could just offer me a quality piece of hardware. They obviously got the tech and internals that is superior to tech from Apple.

Actually the plastic is more durable.

What are the cases we put our phones in made out of?

PLASTIC

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Actually the plastic is more durable.

What are the cases we put our phones in made out of?

PLASTIC

Actually no its not. Aluminum is stronger and more durable than plastic. Is it more prone to chipping? Maybe, but these chips don't compromise the structural integrity of the phone. I have never seen a car made out of polycarbonate but I did see a car fully made out of aluminum.

And I don't even use cases so don't get me there. But if you must. Most cases (not all!) are made out of plastic for economic reasons. If you think they offer any protection then you are wrong. They might possibly protect the phone against scratches but that is sometimes also a myth as the case itself might scratch the phone.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Actually no its not. Aluminum is stronger and more durable than plastic. Is it more prone to chipping? Maybe, but these chips don't compromise the structural integrity of the phone. I have never seen a car made out of polycarbonate but I did see a car fully made out of aluminum.

And I don't even use cases so don't get me there. But if you must. Most cases (not all!) are made out of plastic for economic reasons. If you think they offer any protection then you are wrong. They might possibly protect the phone against scratches but that is sometimes also a myth as the case itself might scratch the phone.

Totally agree with this. You can find cases made out of different types of metal, but they are typically going to cost more than a plastic one.

When I had my 3GS, the plastic on the back towards the top was cracking. It cracked on my brothers too. Also around the dock at the bottom. A lot of people had their plastic start to crack. You won't get cracks with aluminum. You can get scratches, just like you can with plastic. And in some cases dents. But if you do something to dent aluminum, that same force would likely have done a lot worse to plastic.

My dad dropped a metal book holster thing onto his MBP. It was a pretty big drop too. It made a dent on the top of the casing. It didn't affect the screen, didn't crack open the casing, or anything like that. Just an indention. If he didn't have a MBP and instead had just some generic laptop made with generic plastic, it would have done a lot worse.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
The Note 3 is a step in the right direction, but Sammy's build materials are just not up to par in my opinion. But hey, profit margins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.