Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I've read a few prelim reports stating that there is noticeable lag with the new iOS.

Is 7 optimized for the new A7 processor? Does anyone know how it will run/does run on Iphone 5?

I'll hold off on downloading and installing if it's significantly slower than iOS 6. Thanks.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
what reports?
there are only people complaining on boards, some say it works great some say it lags. At the end of the day, the iPhone 5C has the same power so IMO it should work fine for your iPhone 5.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
- Apple is all about the user experience. They would not release a version of iOS for a device that cannot run it properly.

The cut-off for iOS 7 I believe is the iPhone 3GS. So, unless your iphone 5 has the same internals of a 3GS I wouldn't worry about it.

- I've been running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 for almost 3 months now (since beta 1). The problems I experienced were never "it's too slow". They were more about crashes, random restarts and buggy behavior like that.

The GM version of iOS 7 has taken care of most of the issues that plagued prior betas. However, some people are not happy that they have to wait for the initial animation of icons when you first unlock the phone (which is less than 1 second). By the time you eyes take in the animation and what the background looks like it's ready to use.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
OK. My main concern was the possibility of a significantly slower UI. That would've made 7 a no-go. Since that does not seem to be the case, that won't be a deciding factor.

I haven't done much research on 7.

I used to be a big time apple loyalist, but no more. Surprisingly, it was itunes 11 which really disappointed me, and made me doubt apple. Now, with so many mixed reviews on/about 7, I think I'll wait a few days before downloading. It doesn't seem to be a disaster, but it's not a consensus victory for apple, either.

I'm going to do a bit more research on NSA and apple as well. Perhaps I'll just sell my iphone and go back to a standard call and text phone.

- Apple is all about the user experience. They would not release a version of iOS for a device that cannot run it properly.

The cut-off for iOS 7 I believe is the iPhone 3GS. So, unless your iphone 5 has the same internals of a 3GS I wouldn't worry about it.

- I've been running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 for almost 3 months now (since beta 1). The problems I experienced were never "it's too slow". They were more about crashes, random restarts and buggy behavior like that.

The GM version of iOS 7 has taken care of most of the issues that plagued prior betas. However, some people are not happy that they have to wait for the initial animation of icons when you first unlock the phone (which is less than 1 second). By the time you eyes take in the animation and what the background looks like it's ready to use.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
There is no lag.. The animation times are longer then in ios6... Why apple did this.. I don't know.

A lot of people are misinterpreting this as lag.. But its really just how long the animations were intentionally set up to take.

My guess is that once iOS 7 goes public they will probably get a **** load of complaints about it and change it relatively quickly :)

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
The complainers are always more vocal...

We always see issues around an official release, especially with a major update like iOS 7.

Issues are mainly slugishness or battery related. The complaints usually fade out in a couple of months.

Maybe Apple can fix some issues, but mainly people tend not to adapt quickly to changes.
If you don't like it go back to iOS6 and stay there.

Personally i don't like iOS7 screaming at me with all the primary colors, but most probably i'll upgrade when a JB comes out.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I've read a few prelim reports stating that there is noticeable lag with the new iOS.

Is 7 optimized for the new A7 processor? Does anyone know how it will run/does run on Iphone 5?

I'll hold off on downloading and installing if it's significantly slower than iOS 6. Thanks.

A lot of people are confusing the new slower transition animations as 'slowness' or 'lag'.

iOS 7 has a whole new set of animations and their transition speed is far slower than the transition animations in iOS 6. It's nothing to do with performance of the device, it's a stock and preset speed for all devices.

Where there are 'issues' is in the iPad builds which, even on the 4th Gen, see some stuttering of these transition animations in certain situations (pinch to return to the home screen, zooming in on a selected app on multitasking, rotating between portrait and landscape mode, etc).

At times they're not huge stutters (the pinch to home and zooming in on selected app on multitasking are most noticeable) but in comparison to iOS 6 it's very noticeable in day to day use. It's not that the iPad build is unstable, it's fine reliability wise and most transitions are smooth, but there are niggles which detract from the experience people are used to on iOS 6.

The iPhone builds are spot on, and for me it shows that Apple spent more time optimising and perfecting performance on the iPhone first and foremost.

I've DFU restored back to iOS 6 on my iPad but will be keeping iOS 7 on my iPhone 4S as it's smoother in terms of transition animations all over the OS. I find my 4S experience on iOS 7 better overall than it is on my iPad 4th Gen.

Some will notice these stutters, some won't ... and that's before I start on the woeful keyboard lag on iOS 7. The last letter of words being typed not being recognised and it seems to take far too long to move from upper to lower case when pressing shift.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I've done a little bit of reading up in the last day or two, and my general impression is that iOS 7 is probably about 2 weeks ago from being a polished, 'release-ready' build.

Well, they've still got 4 days until the release date, so there's still time!

I probably will download it now, and probably on day 1. The concerns about 7 seem to be relatively minor.

----------

There is no lag.. The animation times are longer then in ios6... Why apple did this.. I don't know.

A lot of people are misinterpreting this as lag.. But its really just how long the animations were intentionally set up to take.

My guess is that once iOS 7 goes public they will probably get a **** load of complaints about it and change it relatively quickly :)

I guess I could just go to an apple store and check it out first.

I remember when OS X.0 was released, and the lag was pretty darn bad. Hopefully iOS 7 is nothing like that?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I've done a little bit of reading up in the last day or two, and my general impression is that iOS 7 is probably about 2 weeks ago from being a polished, 'release-ready' build.

Well, they've still got 4 days until the release date, so there's still time!

I probably will download it now, and probably on day 1. The concerns about 7 seem to be relatively minor.

Unfortunately there's nothing going to be done in those four days because the GM that is available to Developers now is the build which is on millions of iPhone 5c and 5s models being shipped around the world as we speak in time for the 20th. The GM is the final build and it'll take a huge bug to make Apple roll out a fix on the 18th, and some stuttering transitions aren't going to be considered big enough. We can only hope for a .1 or .0.1 update in the days/weeks which follow the public launch of iOS 7 that fixes these iPad performance issues, but as I said I won't hold my breath.

And another thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is the abysmal time it takes to change a wallpaper on the iPad. From pressing a thumbnail to the wallpaper showing on screen with the "Set As Home/Lock/Both" takes a good 5 seconds and then it takes a further 10 seconds for the wallpaper to be set and the iPad to return to the Settings app's wallpaper section.

Something is definitely wrong with the iPad build, but will Apple fix it? I doubt it.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I'll check out 7 at an apple store next wed. or thurs.

It looks pretty, and the arrival of multi-tasking is most welcome. I think the novelty of it will probably sway me anyway.

A lot of apple users tend to make a mountain out of a molehill anyway, so I trust 7 is probably pretty nice.

There doesn't seem to be any clear consensus on the quality of 7, which is a little disappointing. It just seems like it's been a long time since apple hit a home run. With anything.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'll check out 7 at an apple store next wed. or thurs.

It looks pretty, and the arrival of multi-tasking is most welcome. I think the novelty of it will probably sway me anyway.

A lot of apple users tend to make a mountain out of a molehill anyway, so I trust 7 is probably pretty nice.

There doesn't seem to be any clear consensus on the quality of 7, which is a little disappointing. It just seems like it's been a long time since apple hit a home run. With anything.

Oh it's a great OS, the new look is more modern and far cleaner and the new features bring some fantastic usability lacking in iOS 6. Unfortunately there are some minor performance issues on what is at this time Apple's top of the line iPad, and it affects the experience for me.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Is there any keyboard lag?

Or, is it deliberate animation lag?

Look, the deal through is that besides the iphone 5 and the 4s, all devices are having problems with ios 7 about speed and lag, it's not laggy all the time but compared to ios 6 which was eye candy, it's pretty laggy.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
That's a 3G. Big difference in performance. Trust me, I owned a 3G when iOS 4 came out.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. iOS 6 that came out last year runs fine on a iphone that is 5 years old. Are you implying that iOS will/should not run fine on a 4S?

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
I don't understand what point you are trying to make. iOS 6 that came out last year runs fine on a iphone that is 5 years old. Are you implying that iOS will/should not run fine on a 4S?

He is saying that, the video is talking about iOS 4 and an iPhone 3G. Iphone 3G ran iOS 4 like crap, it was huge news back then.

So anyway, to clear something. iOS 7 might lag/stutter depending on device. For example on an iPhone 4 the experience is okay, but not great.

On an iPhone 5 it doesn't lag. The only thing universal everywhere is that some animations are longer than they should be and are not interruptible, which is a bit annoying.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I have it on an iPhone 5. The animation durations (not having anything to do with lagging/stuttering...only has to do with Apple's settings for animation speed) are definitely longer than they were in iOS 6, but it's not unbearable. I actually find that switching between apps in multi-tasking view is faster than iOS 6.

In terms of lag and stuttering, it is noticeable in some spots (i.e. opening spotlight for the first time in a while, opening up a keyboard, etc.) but it does not appear 95% of the rest of the time while switching apps and just doing normal things. If you go into settings > general > accessibility and turn on "Increase Contrast" and "Reduce motion", you will disable all frosted glass effects and transparency and almost all of the lag and stuttering is gone by now. Hope this helps!

wc17

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
The "lag" that people talk about is the OS giving the animations time enough to finish "animating" for lack of a better term...

A good example is when unlocking the phone...it takes a bit more time for the icons to fly onto the screen and you to be able to click or swipe grouch screens then we used to be able to in iOS 6. Or when closing out an app...again, you're waiting that extra split second before you're able to open/swipe to another app.

Other then that...no lag. I love the change and think it'll only get better with updates etc. iOS 6 was the 6th iteration of the same OS...let's give iOS 7 some time to be perfected...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have it on an iPhone 5. The animation durations (not having anything to do with lagging/stuttering...only has to do with Apple's settings for animation speed) are definitely longer than they were in iOS 6, but it's not unbearable. I actually find that switching between apps in multi-tasking view is faster than iOS 6.

In terms of lag and stuttering, it is noticeable in some spots (i.e. opening spotlight for the first time in a while, opening up a keyboard, etc.) but it does not appear 95% of the rest of the time while switching apps and just doing normal things. If you go into settings > general > accessibility and turn on "Increase Contrast" and "Reduce motion", you will disable all frosted glass effects and transparency and almost all of the lag and stuttering is gone by now. Hope this helps!
Well put.

Peytonckue

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
I first downloaded ios7 on my iphone 4. It was lagging really bad so i reset all my settings and it seem to work better now. So for those who are lagging maybe try resetting all your settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.