Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
So I have an android smartphone with LTE. My dad has a dumbphone, just a basic phone.

I'm going to use his upgrade to get an iPhone, and switch it to my account. What do I have to do about the nano sim card? Do I have to go to Verizon to get one for my account or what?

Also, since its for my dads line, do I need to activate it on his line first, then can immediately reactivate it on my line?

StevenS2k5

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
I've done this between android phones on Verizon a few times to keep my unlimited. I usually keep the phone active for about a day but I doubt you need more than an hour or so. Then I swap my sim card into the new phone and reactivate the dumb phone which automatically drops the data package. I'd still call to double check the data was dropped.

As for the SIM card since you don't have a Nano sim... Just get a $7 micro sim to nano sim cutter on Amazon. That's what I got for my transition from Android to the 5s. But if you don't want to cut your card Verizon will give you a new one (should be free) if you bring in the phone you want your sim to work with.

Good luck

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
You will need to call to activate a verizon phone on another line than the one the contract was extended with.

The contract signer needs to call, and tell them they want the phone activated on your line instead of the one they extended on. Then the contract signer must accept the terms of the contract online and then the phone will begin to be activated on the other line. The reason for this is that verizon requires the contract be agreed to before activation. activation WILL NOT WORK if this is not done.

OR you can activate it on his line first, then reactivate his old phone. then activate the iphone on your line but calling is faster and much more efficient.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
I've done this between android phones on Verizon a few times to keep my unlimited. I usually keep the phone active for about a day but I doubt you need more than an hour or so. Then I swap my sim card into the new phone and reactivate the dumb phone which automatically drops the data package. I'd still call to double check the data was dropped.

As for the SIM card since you don't have a Nano sim... Just get a $7 micro sim to nano sim cutter on Amazon. That's what I got for my transition from Android to the 5s. But if you don't want to cut your card Verizon will give you a new one (should be free) if you bring in the phone you want your sim to work with.

Good luck

Since he has a dumb phone, would his come with a SIM card then? And can that SIM be transferred over to mine?

You will need to call to activate a verizon phone on another line than the one the contract was extended with.

The contract signer needs to call, and tell them they want the phone activated on your line instead of the one they extended on. Then the contract signer must accept the terms of the contract online and then the phone will begin to be activated on the other line. The reason for this is that verizon requires the contract be agreed to before activation. activation WILL NOT WORK if this is not done.

OR you can activate it on his line first, then reactivate his old phone. then activate the iphone on your line but calling is faster and much more efficient.

I'm ok with the second method, if you do it online, its very easy. Would his still include a sim though that could be transferred to mine?

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
Since he has a dumb phone, would his come with a SIM card then? And can that SIM be transferred over to mine?

I'm ok with the second method, if you do it online, its very easy. Would his still include a sim though that could be transferred to mine?

Just call. It will be easier.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Just call. It will be easier.

You're right, I called to see the best way and that's the way to go. Plus, this way, I can use the SIM that comes with the iPhone. They'll probably be SLAMMED around those days though.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
So I have an android smartphone with LTE. My dad has a dumbphone, just a basic phone.

I'm going to use his upgrade to get an iPhone, and switch it to my account. What do I have to do about the nano sim card? Do I have to go to Verizon to get one for my account or what?

Also, since its for my dads line, do I need to activate it on his line first, then can immediately reactivate it on my line?

@OP When you go into the Apple store, if you use your dads upgrade then you will need to do a few things.

1. His phone will deactivate upon purchase/activation of the new iPhone. This means you will need to call Verizon to have them move his number back to his "dumb phone". If you are giving him your droid smartphone then you can call *228 on it and listen to an automated activation line to activate the phone there. And lastly if you have a SIM card bigger than a nano SIM then you need to get one from Apple or Verizon. If your phone now has nano then you can just swap it to the new iPhone.

2. This option would be less of a hassle if the above ^^^ sounds awful...Just order the iPhone online and have it delivered to your house or in store pickup. I suggest this route because the phone will not deactivate the existing phone the line is on until you power the new iPhone on. Then you can just do all the SIM swapping and what not at the Apple store when you pick it up or when it delivers to your house and you take it to a Verizon store.

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
@OP When you go into the Apple store, if you use your dads upgrade then you will need to do a few things.

1. His phone will deactivate upon purchase/activation of the new iPhone. This means you will need to call Verizon to have them move his number back to his "dumb phone". If you are giving him your droid smartphone then you can call *228 on it and listen to an automated activation line to activate the phone there. And lastly if you have a SIM card bigger than a nano SIM then you need to get one from Apple or Verizon. If your phone now has nano then you can just swap it to the new iPhone.

2. This option would be less of a hassle if the above ^^^ sounds awful...Just order the iPhone online and have it delivered to your house or in store pickup. I suggest this route because the phone will not deactivate the existing phone the line is on until you power the new iPhone on. Then you can just do all the SIM swapping and what not at the Apple store when you pick it up or when it delivers to your house and you take it to a Verizon store.
I've already explained what he needs to do. Your method is incorrect because with verizon you must enter the IMEI number of the phone you want to activate on a line on their website before dialing *228 otherwise it will fail and you will end up calling them anyway, also you could just tell apple NOT to activate the phone.

StevenS2k5

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
If you are upgrading a phone on Verizon you need to have the person with access to modify the account there with you. If you do not, from my experiences, you will not be able to make changes to the account. This includes upgrading a phone. Even if it is "your" phone it really is the account holders.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
If you are upgrading a phone on Verizon you need to have the person with access to modify the account there with you. If you do not, from my experiences, you will not be able to make changes to the account. This includes upgrading a phone. Even if it is "your" phone it really is the account holders.

I'm ordering online, and activating over the phone. I'm an authorized user and should have no problem, but can always 3 way call with the account holder if I need to.

I've already explained what he needs to do. Your method is incorrect because with verizon you must enter the IMEI number of the phone you want to activate on a line on their website before dialing *228 otherwise it will fail and you will end up calling them anyway, also you could just tell apple NOT to activate the phone.

His method two seems right except take it to VZW not Apple. Regardless, I'm calling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.