Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
I'm thinking of selling mine this/next week for the iPhone 5s

I do like the Nexus phone, I like the larger screen, the notifications, the sharing possibilities.

But a few things pissed me off:

-Battery life didn't last a whole day with fair use e.g. Whatsapp, SMS, downloaded Spotify playing, and a few other random apps.

-Some of the OS and apps are really lacking polish. It's a thing for me, I'm not a designer, but I appreciate the finer things of tech, and Android is lacking in one or two things (barring Maps from this, Maps and Whatsapp are GORGEOUS!)

But it seems as if CEX will give me 135 quid for it. So I might bite at it. I just don't have a spare phone for now :(

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011

I do like the Nexus phone, I like the larger screen, the notifications, the sharing possibilities.

-Battery life didn't last a whole day with fair use e.g. Whatsapp, SMS, downloaded Spotify playing, and a few other random apps.

-Some of the OS and apps are really lacking polish. It's a thing for me, I'm not a designer, but I appreciate the finer things of tech, and Android is lacking in one or two things (barring Maps from this, Maps and Whatsapp are GORGEOUS!)

But it seems as if CEX will give me 135 quid for it. So I might bite at it. I just don't have a spare phone for now :(

I shifted temporarily to android 2 months back.
For battery
1) I flashed the Franco kernel along with PA rom. Underclocled to 702mhz :p and undervolted by -150mv.
Now I get around 12-13 hours on the battery with a screen on time of 4.30-5 hours.
My use is pretty heavy. I receive 15-20 calls a day.
And whatsapp use is pretty high >500 messages a day.
Facebook once every hour and web surfing too.

2) agreed. I really miss the appstore. I m going to pass this phone to my mum as soon as I get my iPhone on 20th :)

Pm me if u need help regarding battery :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-08-23-26-52.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-08-23-26-52.png
    257 KB · Views: 112

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010

Im on the same boat. I want to switch, but man gmail and google maps as native is what really got me second guessing. then the downgrade in screen size. but batt life is a big plus.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Not sure If this is the right place to ask but here goes anyway

Just got my nexus4 (too cheap to pass up!). Setup
All OK with transferring contacts, calendars etc from iPhone. However. 2 things I am stuck with

I have a me.com email address with an alias that I prefer to use. (Tried to make it main address but that's another story(
Can I set up a me alias and if so. How?
I tried setting it but I keep getting message saying its incorrect
My second issue is with Google now. I think I will use this feature a lot and its generally quite good but when I voice dictate an SMS it always sends it twice. I have been onto Google who cleared cache and rebooted phone which resolved the issue for about an hour but its happening again. Google have palmed me off to the developer (that's what they said and gave me an email address).

A friend reckoned my phone is faulty and to get it replaced but its a pain to set it all up exactly as I like it.

Any thoughts? Might I just have a dodgy phone?

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Not sure If this is the right place to ask but here goes anyway

Just got my nexus4 (too cheap to pass up!). Setup
All OK with transferring contacts, calendars etc from iPhone. However. 2 things I am stuck with

I have a me.com email address with an alias that I prefer to use. (Tried to make it main address but that's another story(
Can I set up a me alias and if so. How?
I tried setting it but I keep getting message saying its incorrect
My second issue is with Google now. I think I will use this feature a lot and its generally quite good but when I voice dictate an SMS it always sends it twice. I have been onto Google who cleared cache and rebooted phone which resolved the issue for about an hour but its happening again. Google have palmed me off to the developer (that's what they said and gave me an email address).

A friend reckoned my phone is faulty and to get it replaced but its a pain to set it all up exactly as I like it.

Any thoughts? Might I just have a dodgy phone?

When you mention developer it makes me think you are using a third party app to text. Have you tried using the stock app to text and checking to see if you get duplicate texts with that?

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
When you mention developer it makes me think you are using a third party app to text. Have you tried using the stock app to text and checking to see if you get duplicate texts with that?

This is with the stock app. I was on phone to google for 45 minutes (who cleared cache and rebooted) when the problem recurred I emailed the same person at google and they told me to contact the developer and gave an email address.

I take it that's not correct?

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
This is with the stock app. I was on phone to google for 45 minutes (who cleared cache and rebooted) when the problem recurred I emailed the same person at google and they told me to contact the developer and gave an email address.

I take it that's not correct?

I misunderstood. Sorry.

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
UI as simple as possible

Hey Nexus owners,

I will get my first Android device the Nexus 4 tomorrow. I am changing from my iPhone not because I am dissatified with iOS but because of the really great price decline of the last months.

I searched a bit on Flickr and found a nice picture. I really like this lock screen. Very simple and clean.

Do you guys know what I have to install to get this nice simple icons?

Thank you!

Attachments

• nexus4.jpg
    nexus4.jpg
    757.4 KB · Views: 130

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Hey Nexus owners,

I will get my first Android device the Nexus 4 tomorrow. I am changing from my iPhone not because I am dissatified with iOS but because of the really great price decline of the last months.

I searched a bit on Flickr and found a nice picture. I really like this lock screen. Very simple and clean.

Do you guys know what I have to install to get this nice simple icons?

Thank you!

That might not be a lock screen, it could be the home screen. The first thing I always do is download nova prime. It gives you complete customization over the look of your phone. That picture looks like they have a music player widget and custom icons (clean rounds maybe) (which can be downloaded and changed using nova). The clock app with the battery is an app called dash clock widget. They removed the dock divider and status bar (also can be done using nova).

Last edited:

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Hey Nexus owners,

Yep. Me too. Felt very strange even considering an alternative. I've been on my nexus 4 fir a week now and have to say no regrets. Ok, it took a bit of work to set everything up but I've got everything I need working now and starting to tweak with the finer details.

Also loving voice input on google now. I never had Siri to compare it to but I'm finding I am typing less and less and talking more. I thought it might be a gimmick to show friends.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
That might not be a lock screen, it could be the home screen. The first thing I always do is download nova prime. It gives you complete customization over the look of your phone. That picture looks like they have a music player widget and custom icons (clean rounds maybe) (which can be downloaded and changed using nova). The clock app with the battery is an app called dash clock widget. They removed the dock divider and status bar (also can be done using nova).
Yup, that picture above looks like Dash Clock.

I personally cant use it on my One because I'm still on 4.1.2 and Dash Clock requires a 4.2 minimum. I'm content with the stock Sense 5 lockscreen already but if I ever get another Nexus, I'd use that Dash Clock in a heartbeat.

I generally use the Holo Launcher for my old Nexus One. I havent used Nova in awhile. I used Holo because you can change the font size of my app names in the homescreen and animation/transition speed. I dont like having a long named app where it extends to a second line or is close to another app's name. I dont recall Nova having that on the free version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
That's pretty abysmal. Even when I had the Nexus 4, the battery life wasn't bad. You sure you don't have a faulty battery or some app running amok?

This app might help you find the culprit if indeed it's the latter.

GSam Battery Monitor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&hl=en

Something's definitely amiss.

I've had some defective units in the past, mainly with backlight bleeding, and all of them had awful battery. I'll try out that app, thanks!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I've had some defective units in the past, mainly with backlight bleeding, and all of them had awful battery. I'll try out that app, thanks!

For what it's worth, I ultimately returned my Nexus 4 after multiple replacement units still resulting in a faulty microphone. The person on the other end of the call said I was going in and out, and after extensive testing, I concluded it wasn't the service (my iPhone 5 and HTC One, for example, never had that problem on the same line). Even the Google rep I called noticed it right away. He could barely hear me. It's why they allowed me to exchange it so many times. Eventually, I gave up.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
For what it's worth, I ultimately returned my Nexus 4 after multiple replacement units still resulting in a faulty microphone. The person on the other end of the call said I was going in and out, and after extensive testing, I concluded it wasn't the service (my iPhone 5 and HTC One, for example, never had that problem on the same line). Even the Google rep I called noticed it right away. He could barely hear me. It's why they allowed me to exchange it so many times. Eventually, I gave up.

Well I'll definitely be waiting for the Nexus 5. But with only a 200 mAh larger battery, I may end up going to the G2.

Deadlake

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I'm in similar boat, a lot to like in the nexus 4, however the battery life is not one, and during the day mine lives on the qi charger. Back to iPhone, at least I can use it without having to charge during the day. That said, is the s4 or one regarded better for battery life?

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Honestly, I'm still considering a Nexus 4 as a backup phone even with the many flaws like weak batt life, shoddy reception, mediocre camera, and fragile glass back. I try to see myself going to an S4 or iPhone 5/5s but I just cant stand Samsung's design language and Apple's restriction even if their hardware is clearly superior.

My old Nexus One still works great as a backup but I need something faster and smoother. And the Nexus 4 is DAMN sexy and I've seen a few going for only $150 on Craigslist practically new. I'm not in Los Angeles area anymore but I can easily get a relative to get me one and send it here to Manila. Cheap, sexy, and software is what keeps me going back to.

My choices is Nexus 4, Xperia Z or ZR, Asus Fonepad, Asus Padfone 2, or that beautiful Huawei Ascend P6 on a 2-yr contract. I'm generally not looking for a better device than the HTC One. Just a phone that makes a better backup than a near 4-yr model phone like the Nexus One. I even considered the Galaxy Nexus because the back looks far durable than the Nexus 4 but I cant see myself going to Samsung which is both a dishonest and copycat company.

Apple and Samsung became the FAT CATS of the industry. I like the lesser known or less popular companies that try harder to establish or reestablish themselves.

dgw2jr

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009
I've finally settled on the Nexus 4 after using an iPhone 4S for the last year. Everything is just so much easier on the Nexus. I can share to any app that will handle it instead of just Twitter and Facebook. Gesture typing takes the cake though. I can just about type faster on my phone than I can on my computer. iOS 7 really helped seal the deal too. Many love it. I don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.