Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5c_store_hero-250x280.jpg
While the unlocked yellow 16 GB iPhone 5c was the first model to run out of launch-day stock through Apple's U.S. online store, several additional unlocked models of the device are now experiencing similar shortages. Supplies of carrier-specific models do remain available for pre-order with delivery on launch day of this Friday, September 20.

Among the unlocked iPhone 5c models, the $549 16 GB models are seeing the most significant shortage, with all five colors currently showing shipping dates of September 25. The 32 GB model of the unlocked green iPhone 5c is showing a similar September 25 shipping date.

Outside of the United States, iPhone 5c pre-order availability remains good, with all markets showing availability for Friday delivery (other than outlying areas where delivery may take up to several days longer) with the exception of Hong Kong, which quickly saw all models move to 1-2 week shipping estimates after Friday's pre-order launch.

Apple's iPhone 5s launches this Friday, but Apple is not offering pre-orders for the device. Instead, customers will be able to purchase the device at Apple's retail stores, which will open at 8:00 AM local time on Friday, or order through Apple's online stores beginning on launch day. Rather than a single worldwide launch time for online iPhone 5s orders as was seen for iPhone 5c pre-orders, Apple appears to be staggering times in the various markets in order to ensure that online ordering begins before retail stores open for the day.

For example, iPhone 5s orders will begin in Australia at 2:01 AM Australian Eastern Standard Time, which corresponds to 9:00 AM Pacific Time Thursday in the United States. U.S. orders will begin at 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Friday, while UK orders will begin at 12:01 AM British Summer Time.

Customers in China and Hong Kong will also be able to make reservations starting tomorrow for the ability to make in-store purchases beginning on Friday.

Article Link: Launch-Day Availability of Unlocked iPhone 5c Models Continues to Slip

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Given that it's only the unlocked version that is selling out, I speculate that this is just exporters buying them up to try to turn a profit in another market. (I could be wrong since in the past it's been the Chinese buying up available stock since they didn't have access to the device at launch and now they do.)

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I honestly thought pink and white would be the most popular colours. I assume apple has ample research over years of selling other coloured products though and took this into account

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Again, we are told they are selling out but not getting numbers of units sold. So these reports are nearly useless other than to create the (maybe false) need to order now.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
What's the reason Apple didn't do pre-orders for the 5S?
Limited supplies or was it to get people in lines for the media to see?

dwcerra

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
ETA for deliveries of iPhone 5s?

So I wonder what the estimated shipping time would be if we order the 5S at 12:01am PT on the 20th? If it's a week, then that's fine but I leave on vacation for a couple weeks on 10/2/13 so was hoping to get it before then.......and NOT have to wait in lines. :confused:

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth

To sell more iPhone 5C's.

There are people who just want to buy the first thing. The iPhone 5C was the first for them to click "buy now". This helps iPhone 5C sales. Plus they'll get it in the mail on launch day while others wait in line to buy their new iPhone(s) or wait the following week in the mail.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
The 5C is going to sell fine, but it's not going to fly off the shelves like the 5S. Nobody looking for the tech upgrade is going to buy it, but lots of people who aren't worried about having the "newest" device will.

It will sell just like the 4s after the release of the 5.

This isn't really a surprise is it?

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I love apple but have no idea why someone would buy the 5c. Especially the 32GB model when you can get a 16GB 5s for the same price. Mind boggling.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
I love apple but have no idea why someone would buy the 5c. Especially the 32GB model when you can get a 16GB 5s for the same price. Mind boggling.

Same reason that someone would buy a 4s over a 5.

If you're not a tech nerd the difference in phone spec doesn't matter to you, but 100.00 dollars do.

Probably most people who spend any time on macrumors wouldn't spring for a 5c over a 5s.

But not everyone is into tech toys.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Again, we are told they are selling out but not getting numbers of units sold. So these reports are nearly useless other than to create the (maybe false) need to order now.

Of course. Restricting initial supply is a standard Apple tactic. You have to generate that buzz that demand is restricted and fuel those lines at the Apple store for a mid generation minor update.

They know how to work it....

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Apple apparently has prepared too many 5c phones because it's easy to make. On the other hand, expect 5s to experience the same launch time shortages as they'll run into supplier's constraints on the fingerprint sensors and other new components.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
To build off of what was said in another thread, I think the fact that the unlocked 16 gigs are the ones selling out may be a sign that

• People are tired of being chained to contracts
  • People want a cheap(er) iPhone

I think if they had priced it a little lower to be more competitive with other smartphone prices (such as free with contract or at least $100 less without a contract than they're charging) then they'd be selling more of them. I think a lot of people were expecting a lower price.

If we don't hear some numbers from Apple today, should we assume that it's less of a hit than they were hoping?

EDIT: I guess since the official launch of the 5c isn't until Friday, then it probably won't be until next Monday that we hear numbers.

Last edited:

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
Surprising its actually slipping at all, I just don't see the appeal in the 5C being it's the same as the 5, but in colors.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
From the Apple online store.

Australia still has
Delivers 20/9 in most areas
For every colour size of iPhone 5c.

The USA at the moment is:
Every colour/size carrier option I found said this:
Delivers 9/20

The only difference was Sim Free
Available to ship 9/25

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
To build off of what was said in another thread, I think the fact that the unlocked 16 gigs are the ones selling out may be a sign that

• People are tired of being chained to contracts
  • People want a cheap(er) iPhone

I think if they had priced it a little lower to be more competitive with other smartphone prices (such as free with contract or at least $100 less without a contract than they're charging) then they'd be selling more of them. I think a lot of people were expecting a lower price.

If we don't hear some numbers from Apple today, should we assume that it's less of a hit than they were hoping?
You really can't draw any conclusions from this without (historical) data of the initial supply of unlocked/locked phones.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

5s supplies will initially be much more limited, due to supply constraints on the fingerprint scanners.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Actually, I can't remember a release of any previous iPhone that
did not completely sell out by the Monday after release
This concerns me as an Apple investor. Either demand is not that great or supply is exstensive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.