Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

rdio_logo-250x96.png
Online music streaming service Rdio is announcing the launch of a free, ad-supported music service along with a new, $100 million partnership with radio operator Cumulus, reports The New York Times.

The move comes as Apple is officially launching its own ad-supported music streaming service, iTunes Radio, this week on September 18 with the public release of iOS 7. Currently, plans for Rdio start at $4.99 for web-only streaming, while unlimited web and mobile streaming is priced at $9.99.
Crucially for Rdio, which was introduced in 2010 and has struggled to gain a foothold in the market, Cumulus will also sell advertising for a free version of the service in the United States. Rdio, which costs $5 to $10 a month and is available in 31 markets around the world, lets its subscribers listen to millions of songs, build playlists and interact with other users.
Last month, rival music service Pandora announced that it was going to remove its 40-hour free listening limit ahead of the launch for Apple's iTunes Radio, stating that it would again allow unlimited listening via mobile devices. Rdio updated its iOS app [Direct Link] with highly personalized radio stations early last month, and the app currently holds a four-star rating with over 9000 reviews since its release in October 2011.

Article Link: Rdio Announcing Free Music Service Ahead of iTunes Radio Launch This Week

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
It'll be hard to compete with a service that's built into an app that is commonly used and comes stock with 700+ million devices. But hey, good for them.

You know, besides the fact that they pay out essentially nothing to independent musician. Good for them.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Are they claiming that they aren't concerned about iRadio just like Pandora did?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
So, I find Rdio a bit lacking, but the app is easy to use, I recommend it over other streaming sites (unless you're already paying for them), but if you're just chiming into the streaming market, give Rdio a try.

Shame the free playing won't be coming to the UK though.

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
iTunes Match at $25 a year, including ad-free radio...seems like a win-win. Especially because it'll be so convenient to finally BUY the music you're listening to.

Spotify, Rdio et al, just don't turn enough revenue to really pay artists anything---it's quite pathetic.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
This sucks. Canada gets nothing. No iTunes Radio, not Spotify, no Pandora, and Rdio still costs money here after the free trial.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
This sucks. Canada gets nothing. No iTunes Radio, not Spotify, no Pandora, and Rdio still costs money here after the free trial.

I fell your pain. But soon(I hope), soon they'll iron out the contract deals and we'll get at least iTunes Radio. Apple tends to keep pushing into more and more markets with their services. I doubt they hold stuff back on purpose, pretty sure it's usually because of legal/contract stuff.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Honestly, this is the start of the end for subscription music. There is no one that is winning except the customers who want their stuff for free, which is stupid because they've had that privilege all along, and it's called tuning into your local radio station. :rolleyes:

eMusic is having a booster sale where they'll match your purchase with free credits. If you can afford $50, do it and buy $100 worth of the music you're listening to on Spotify/Rdio/whatever. Load it into iTunes, buy iTunes Match or use something like QuikIO and call it done.

The only reason I advised my parents to use streaming services is because of my brother. I don't want them to have to deal with buying albums and/or songs that won't get played a year later considering his brain is not ready to commit to those kind of decisions since he's 11. But this is absolutely not the solution to those of us that actually do appreciate albums after 10 years.

And that's why I stopped paying for Spotify, because when you're playing the same few albums for three months, you have to consider that you paid $30 for that privilege when it could have costed you only $15 to just buy them outright. Even less when you consider all the Amazon deals for $2.99-$4.99.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
I fell your pain. But soon(I hope), soon they'll iron out the contract deals and we'll get at least iTunes Radio. Apple tends to keep pushing into more and more markets with their services. I doubt they hold stuff back on purpose, pretty sure it's usually because of legal/contract stuff.

I am a bit skeptical unfortunately as Pandora was unable to come to Canada. Supposedly, the copyright association in Canada wanted 50% of gross revenue for royalties from Pandora. Well that would make Canada a cost center instead of profit so they didn't come to Canada. Granted, Apple has more weight in negotiations but we shall see. Don't hold your breath. There are some simple changes like DNS that would allow a canadian to use Pandora though.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
This, like iTunes Radio, is great for radio lovers, but I won't ever use it because I listen to albums. If this is going to replace the ability to sync albums to the iPhone app, I'll get rid of my account and go back to Mog.

I may be in the minority, but I'm happy to pay $10 a month for access to millions and millions of songs and albums, and happy to pay to NOT listen to anything resembling radio.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
It'll be hard to compete with a service that's built into an app that is commonly used and comes stock with 700+ million devices. But hey, good for them.

You know, besides the fact that they pay out essentially nothing to independent musician. Good for them.

I'm not following your 'Good for them' remark; it seems to be in direct conflict with your May 2 "How to Make an Independent Musician Broke" TP post you quoted. Please clarify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.