Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bump.png
Google is acquiring Bump for an undisclosed sum, according to a blog post by company cofounder David Lieb.

Bump's eponymous app allows users to share contact information, photos and more with other Bump users by 'bumping' devices with each other, including across platforms. Bump's apps will continue to operate normally for now.
Our mission at Bump has always been to build the simplest tools for sharing the information you care about with other people and devices. We strive to create experiences that feel like magic, enabled behind the scene with innovations in math, data processing, and algorithms. So we couldn't be more thrilled to join Google, a company that shares our belief that the application of computing to difficult problems can fundamentally change the way that we interact with one another and the world.

Bump and Flock will continue to work as they always have for now; stay tuned for future updates.

We'd like to extend a special thank you to all of you who have used our products so far. It continues to be a pleasure to serve you, and your feedback and evangelism inspire us every day.
Bump is a free download for the iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Acquires 'Bump', One of the App Store's First Hits

zencowboy

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I've used bump to message to another country for free. Then swapped over to whatsapp since it was eaiser to connect and not have to bump someones phone 2500 miles away:)

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how would you AirDrop contact information on an iOS device?

Better yet how do you do it to a friend without an iPhone/ios device. Oh wait you can't because apple never creates ios apps for other platforms. This is why they loss to MS back in the day in the computer biz and it could repeat itself (though unlikely since they already have a massive loyal market share this time) in the mobile device world.

If google/android ever makes an sms integrated version of hangouts I'm defecting again to Android.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I hate proprietary stuff like airdrop, ichat, airplay, etc. Might work well within the Apple garden but interoperability is imperative these days. I'd take this further and say web browser access is also imperative - ie. I hate that to use iTunes I have to install iTunes. Cannot access via web browser. Oh, and is Apple's Maps app ever going to have browser access?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I tried Bump once...eventually the guy just emailed me photos...bump was not working.

I kept it on my phone but haven't touched it since. Hopefully you wont need a Google Log-in to get this working.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
They've acquired a useless app. No one actually uses it, it sits ignored in most people folders even if they do have it installed. AirDrop is a step ahead.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's a neat system, and it IS probably the easiest way I've found to get data from your iPhone to some random person's PC (spacebar instead of accelerometer). It's also something Samsung likes to think they invented :)

If it starts to need a Google login, I'll stop using it. If it's ad-supported without that--then ok, fair enough! And if it becomes Android exclusive, I won't shed too many tears. I'll just email the file.

It's a nice product (one I didn't appreciate until I tried it) but the use case, for me, is very rare.

Rare but not unheard of: AirDrop IS better, but it's iOS and Mac only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.