Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun approving games that support iOS 7 game controllers, according to our sister site TouchArcade. AVP: Evolution [Direct Link], a game designed for the iPhone and the iPad, was today updated with support for iOS 7, 64-bit processors, iOS 7 Game Controllers.

avpevolution.jpg
I really hate that we're reduced to this level of Apple tea leaf reading, but, here we are. If you're among the boatload of our readers who are totally excited for iOS 7 game controllers, here's some good evidence that they might be coming sooner rather than later: Apple is now approving game updates that specifically support controllers. AVP: Evolution is the first one that has popped up on our radar.
Apple first introduced its MFi "Made for iPhone" iOS 7 API during June's Worldwide Developers Conference, suggesting that the company was allowing third-party manufacturers to develop dedicated iOS gaming peripherals. News soon followed that Apple was working with Logitech and MOGA to produce controllers, and a loose fall launch date was indicated.

While it is unclear exactly when MFi controllers might hit the market, the imminent public debut of iOS 7 and support for the API suggest a release could come at any time, possibly at Apple's rumored iPad-centric fall event.

iOS 7 will officially launch on Wednesday, September 18 for the iPhone 4 and later, the iPad 2 and later, the iPad mini, and the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Article Link: Apple Approves Game With iOS 7 Controller Support

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Controller? That means the Infinity Blade guys are gonna have to actually make a game..

;) ;) I kid, I kid

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Looks like we're going to see some "file sync" or "flashlight" apps that have game controller support... if you know what I mean. Hint: some of these controllers might resemble Nintendo controllers.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Looks like we're going to see some "file sync" or "flashlight" apps that have game controller support... if you know what I mean. Hint: some of these controllers might resemble Nintendo controllers.

lol, my file sync app works great w/ my iCade, now they only have to add support for this :)

jorgeescamillag

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Mexico
64 bit architecture!!?

I think controller is the reason why we have 64 bit architecture, we will see games with console quality!! new apple tv + iPhone 5s + new Controller = Console games!!

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I think controller is the reason why we have 64 bit architecture, we will see games with console quality!! new apple tv + iPhone 5s + new Controller = Console games!!

Does anyone know if having a 64-bit processor makes it easier to emulate the Nintendo 64?

Derek555

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Fleshlite for ipad

Rumour has it ******* is working with Fleshlite to take things to the next level. An alternative could be to use the headphone socket and use inaudible frequencies to trigger tiny vibrators and motors within the fleshlite for that ultimate experience.

I have of course patented this idea

The android version is also under development

Last edited:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Does anyone know if having a 64-bit processor makes it easier to emulate the Nintendo 64?

It wouldn't really have much to do with it, the two processor types are markedly different. Our ability to emulate other architectures is limited to what Apple makes available to use, which wouldn't change in any specific way that magically make them more compatible. A complete rewrite is necessary in both cases to work around how a [ROM file] would be read and interpreted as something [iOS] can understand.

The good news is that (from what I understand of it) any attempts already made to write [N64 on 32-bit iOS]-type code would not need to be completely rewritten in order to make a 64-bit version. Thus, a newly kindled interest fostered by access to hardware like this might spark interest in persons more clever at this sort of thing than I, which ought to bring forth some interesting projects.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
This is one of the most exciting aspects coming with iOS7, so I was really surprised not to see any game controllers on stage last week, it seemed like such an obvious omission. Can't wait to see these controllers hit the market and games start to support them.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Don't count on the iControlPad2 for support, we can't even get the developer to actually spend the Kickstarter money on what it's supposed to be for. :rolleyes:

ICP2 Kickstarter

I can't believe how that kickstarter turned out. I originally missed out on backing it and they allowed me to pay via paypal for one. I managed to get a refund awhile ago. I hope everyone eventually gets what they payed for though.

Last edited:

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas

Minus the iPhone 5s...There should be no need to have to use the phone to Airplay up to the TV. Open the :apple:TV SDK, release a new box with 32+GB of storage, and give us a controller (or allow us to use the iPhone as a controller). Apple already has EA games and other big name studios onboard for the iPhone and iPad.

I love me some Modern Warfare and Black Ops, but I am a very casual gamer. I don't play for hours on end and just about everyone I know is in the same boat as me, we want something to play when we're bored and need to kill 30 minutes. Eventually the Jailbreak will happen and then comes the emulators!

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010

Depends on your definition of "console quality" games. You can't create full console experience at $10 game budget. Some simple repetitive gameplay games like infinity blades is possible. Sorry to bust your bubble.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
You can't create full console experience at $10 game budget.

Not so fast.. if you sell 5-10x as many games, you can. It's an obvious oversimplification I've made, but you're forgetting the console video game development and distribution model. Something like 10% of all game titles pay for the development of the other 90% of terrible, terrible games.

You better believe that console game studios would give half their kingdom to have the unit sales, ZERO piracy and ZERO used market drain of Rovio's Angry Birds.

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
This is one of the most exciting aspects coming with iOS7, so I was really surprised not to see any game controllers on stage last week, it seemed like such an obvious omission. Can't wait to see these controllers hit the market and games start to support them.

I think they're probably saving it for October event... seeing as iPhone event was kept short, the October could possibly be a big event

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Personally, I can't wait for the iCade to die. There were so few decent quality games that supported it that I grew to hate it as wasted money. Even more so for my Atari iCade clone (which only works with Atari Arcade games).

I'm equally shocked that it took Apple this long to offer native game controller support. Yes, I get the whole simplicity design, on-screen controls, etc. But they didn't hesitate to support a huge third party market for docking devices (cars, clock radios, stereo's etc.) so why would they have insisted on waiting this long for game controllers? At least they finally gave in. I'm very much looking forward to the future crop of games that are engineered to support such things, and I hope some of the better A-list games are updated to support it as well.

AppleMacDudeG4

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
looking forward to this

I am really looking forward to having a real controller instead of a virtual one. There are certain kind of games that do not play as well as having a real controller such as platformers and some First Person shooters. If they have the same feel and buttons as my Playstation, it is going to make for a better gaming experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.