Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched a new ad for the iPhone 5c called "Plastic Perfected," focusing on the bright colors and the polycarbonate material of Apple's new iPhones. The ad, which features the catchy song "Rill Rill" from Sleigh Bells and no dialogue, depicts liquid in various colors morphing into the iPhone 5c.

The ad is similar to earlier iPhone 5c marketing materials, including a video for the iPhone 5c that debuted during the company's September 10 iPhone event, which also had a heavy focus on the materials and construction of the phone.

Apple's iPhone 5c became available for pre-orders last Friday, and as of today, several carrier-specific models of the device are still in stock, though several unlocked models of the device are now experiencing slight shortages with an expected delivery date of September 25.

The iPhone 5c can currently be pre-ordered from Apple's website and is priced at $99 for the 16GB version and $199 for the 32GB version with a two-year carrier contract. The device, along with the iPhone 5s, will be available in stores on Friday, September 20.

Article Link: Apple Releases New iPhone 5c 'Plastic Perfected' Ad

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The irony here is that, at least indirectly, Apple is advertising Android and WP phones which, rightfully or not, are associated with plastic. People might think that if Apple is so high on plastic, then this is the right way to go.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Well know we know the "C" stands for colorful as described at the end. Didn't think the music was any good nor did it match the theme at all. Blah!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Honestly this ad kinda sucks...

I kind of agree with you. For starters, I just don't like the feel of it. But also, it will probably be at least half way through the commercial before people even realize it is a commercial for a phone and/or Apple product. And lastly, the music seems too low-key to me. The iconic colorful iPod commercials always seemed to have really energetic music playing.

santydolby

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Meh!

This whole new "unapologetically" plastic philosophy, and the ad seem very meh to me. For once I feel for Samsung who were unnecessarily trolled "plastic" in the recent years when they actually did a very good job of it.

Samsung 1 - Apple 0

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I don't know why, but the color seems "off" for me. somethings not right, can't put my finger on it though...

but I like this color a lot:

imac-artificial-colors.png

Tim F.

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Music

Whoever the artist is and what they call this song, it's based on "Can You Get To That" by Funkadelic, on "Maggot Brain." So that's cool.

I once had a life, or rather
Life had me
I was one among many
Or at least I seemed to be
Well, I read an old quotation in a book just yesterday
Said "Gonna reap just what you sow,
The debts you make you have to pay."
Can you get to that?
Can you get (I wanna know)
I want to know if you can get to that (hey!) (get to that!)
Can you get (can you get to that)(I wanna know)
I want to know if you can get to that
I recollect with a-mixed emotions
All the good times we used to have
But you were making preparations
For the coming separation
And you blew everything we had
When you base your love on credit
And your loving days are done
Checks you signed with a-love and kisses
Later come back signed "insufficient funds"
Yeah, get to that!
(x3)
When you base your life on credit
And your loving days are done
Checks you signed with love and kisses
Later come back signed "insufficient funds"
Y'all get to that
(x2)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Before this thread gets too out of control.... think about this. It's sometimes not the material that people have an issue with.

It's build quality.

There are a lot of phones made out of plastic that have removable batteries. By nature, the battery door is usually a thin flimsy attachment. It may wiggle and squeak... and it could make the entire phone feel less than desirable in the hand. After all... it's two pieces.

In contrast... a phone with a one-piece plastic shell over a strong metal chassis will feel much better in the hand. It feels like a solid mass.

Both of those are "plastic phones" but their build quality is quite different.

mistafro

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2003
I cannot for the life of me understand why they won't do a "Hot pink" color... teenage girls would die for it and they would sell 50 million alone just because of that color!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.