Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Amazing... talk about sleeping with the enemy...

According to MacNN:

Dell Computer will be carrying Apple's Windows version of the iPod, according to c|net. "Yep, Dell is reselling iPods," Apple said in a statement. "We are delighted to offer our 5GB, 10GB and 20GB iPods for Windows through Dell's direct retail channel. iPod has been a big success to date, and we would like to make it even bigger."

[EDIT: c|net link]: http://news.com.com/2100-1040-963901.html

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Maaaaaaaan, how come I am always like 10 mins behind in posting the news first? :rolleyes:

Now, does Dell have a digital-hub strategy that the iPod fits in with? :D

*first post?!*

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
And in other news...

Beezelbub has announced a new partnership with Polaris snowmobiles. Quoth His Satanic Majesty, "Ever since the Dell-Apple was announced, it's been getting colder and colder here. We looked around for a business that offered us the best solution to getting around in all the snow that's been falling, and Polaris, with their reputation for quality, was a perfect match."

Michael Dell was unavailable for comment.

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
mark my words

This is the beginning of the Marklar movement. With Dell and Apple being buddies, OSX can be platform independent. And with Dells marketshare and mubblings about tension about only providing MSFT OS's, I think Mike would be down to up the ante a bit.

With Apple going 64bit, Apple hardware will be the powerhouses that OSX screams on.

TV looks good on a Sony WEGA, but looks even better on a 64 inch plasma screen.

Catch my drift?

aaron

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
Dell and Apple, What's Next?

Don't people who sell iPods have to be Authorised Apple Dealers?

So dosn't that mean that Dell and Target have the abillity to sell macs?

iscripter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Too weird!!!

This is just to weird, its like a episode of the twilight zone or something. First Apple makes a windows version of iPod, then they let Target sell them now this.
New Commercial: "Dude!!! your getting an iPod and a Dell!!!"

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Re: mark my words

Originally posted by sweetaction
This is the beginning of the Marklar movement. With Dell and Apple being buddies, OSX can be platform independent. And with Dells marketshare and mubblings about tension about only providing MSFT OS's, I think Mike would be down to up the ante a bit.

aaron

Never...going....to....happen. Ever.

Michael Dell has fired some rather nasty blasts at Apple in the past, stuff that makes John Dvorak look like Apple's biggest fan. Dell has made no bones about his business plan being to repackage whatever Intel and MicroSoft sends him. That his company is now selling iPods is proof of just how of a product the iPod is.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
???????????

Day turns into night...
night turns into day...

air turns into poison

the stars are spinning

Cats and Dogs living together....

I guess it makes sense ?? No it doesn't...

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Its great for Apple

Apple is one of the most recognized brand .. I think this news is bigger than we think. Even if apple is not making any money, Apple Logo will be everywhere.. Apple's entry to corporate world is becoming a reality.

good job

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Next thing you know...

... Dell will be designing and assemblying PowerMacs and iMacs.

And, so what if they do. They might be able to do it cheaper than Apple or Alpha Top.

Str8edgepunker

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
Ummm.

This is absolutely unbelievable. This is almost inconcievable. What does this mean? We can only speculate. Well, I'm going do speculate. Dell computers featuring the Mac OS? Who knows. Man, when I get back into school, I'm going to show all my PC loving buddies what Dell, which is probably the biggest supplier of computers, is doing with Apple iPods. Selling them!! This is the first step to OS domination for Apple. Soon the world will be populated with Dell computers running the Mac OS. Then people will discover how good it really is. Then developers will see how many people like it and make more software for the Mac OS. Then manufacurers will see how the developers like it and make more hardware for the Mac OS. Then PC suppliers will ship the Mac OS. Then Windows will seem like a bad dream and Apple will rule the OS world. MWHAHAHAHAHA!!

Mirage_

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2002
Good for iPod

yeah, I think this is more evidence of the iPods success in each of the 'camps', but I don't believe it says anything about Apples relationship with Dell, or OS X on x86, as some of you have posted about. Dell is simply giving their customers what they want on their website, iPods :).

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Re: Ummm.

Originally posted by Str8edgepunker
This is absolutely unbelievable. This is almost inconcievable. What does this mean? We can only speculate. Well, I'm going do speculate. Dell computers featuring the Mac OS? Who knows. Man, when I get back into school, I'm going to show all my PC loving buddies what Dell, which is probably the biggest supplier of computers, is doing with Apple iPods. Selling them!! This is the first step to OS domination for Apple. Soon the world will be populated with Dell computers running the Mac OS. Then people will discover how good it really is. Then developers will see how many people like it and make more software for the Mac OS. Then manufacurers will see how the developers like it and make more hardware for the Mac OS. Then PC suppliers will ship the Mac OS. Then Windows will seem like a bad dream and Apple will rule the OS world. MWHAHAHAHAHA!!

While no one would be happier to see Apple replace Dell at the top of the computer dogpile than I, the fact is, as long as Steve is in charge, OSX will run only on Apple machines. The first thing he did was end licensing the OS to clone makers. Apple computers are more than an OS, they're the whole ball o' wax.

This is great news. When the iPod first came out, my reaction was lukewarm at best.

Then I got one. Wow.

Dell is selling iPods for one reason only, they're the best-built, slickest mp3 players out there. This will make more people aware of the quality of Apple (imagine the embarrassment when the iPod keeps going long after the Dell has given up the ghost), which is always good.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
from "Ghostbusters"-

We're talkin real biblical stuff here, real wrath of god type stuff, fire and brimstone falling from the sky! Cats and Dogs living togeather.. MASS HISTERIA!

(hey it's not the exact line from the movie,but you get the point ;))

Apple is smart, they are raking in the big bills now. If iPods start selling like wildfire Apple will be rich! I think this is great!! Well lets hope someone killed that dam kid Steve "Dude I have a machine gun... BBAAAAMM!!!" That should take care of him, heh heh heh :D

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
dell....stinks

Dell will purchase Apple and Steve Jobs will be Mike Dell's little friend. Oh dear, I am putting my Macs on ebay NOW!

I guess its back to the old pencil and note pad.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
WEIRD WEIRED WEIRED

i guess apple really needs the money, huh?

well, after millions of dollars being "lost"...

apple selling its soul (= ipod) to the devil...

just as the very famous poster said:

"I WANT TO BELIEVE"

i just hope the apple users would benefit in some way...

like, because of wider apple products exposure, we would get consumer-friendly prices...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
people people

I woudn't read so much into it. They may hate each other but they're both businessmen.

Apple's trying to make a buck wherever they can (esp. after the last quarter). And I'm sure Dell is happy to sell something like the iPod which prolly has much better margins than their $499 PCs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.